How do people come up with 100g?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

I’ve seen many commanders by now… How do people get 100 gold (Besides exploiters obviously) when I’m level 80 and maximum I’ve had is 8?

Posted by: Gao Gao.4973

Gao Gao.4973

most of the commanders you see are guild leaders whose members felt, for whatever reason, that they would be a good commander. they then donated the gold as a group.

or some guilds i’ve seen have a requirement to donate for this, which is hilarious to me.

aside from these methods, i would say that the best way to get 100g is to use the TP effectively. second best way would be to get a full magic find set, omnom bars, and do all the events you can on cursed shore.

Baiyun – Necromancer
Member of Talons [BT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Our guild chipped in to buy the book for our designated commander, and as we are a rather large guild, it made sense. We didn’t require a donation though.

Also, there are folks out there who have more money to spend on games that you might suspect, and can afford to buy gold through BLT. I certainly hope they aren’t supporting the gold farmers but I suppose that’s a possibility too.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Extreme farming in Orr is a way. I am quite sure a lot of people made insane amounts of gold through the chili pepper popper exploit. Some are also known to have been extremely lucky with the market.

Commanders usually gather coin from a WvW guild as mentioned.

Posted by: Balkito.8160

Balkito.8160

First of all, you’re not exactly affluent by most standards. Second of all, many commanders achieved their compendium by taking a small amount of gold from all the members of their guild, if their guild is organized.

Not too difficult if the guild has a plan and has a designated commander. That’s kind of what A.net had thought of when they made it so expensive.

#RookstarWasRobbed

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

Thanks for answering everyone, this finally makes sense to me lol

Posted by: Liliana Moore.4237

Liliana Moore.4237

How do people get 100 gold

From Gem → Gold exchange.

Eochaidh.4106

How do people get 100 gold

From Gem -> Gold exchange.

That’s 450 dollars.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Eo, some people have more money than sense. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Posted by: Liliana Moore.4237

Liliana Moore.4237

That’s 450 dollars.

Not really. Watch the market trends and exchange rates. Buy cheap, sell for more.

Eo, some people have more money than sense. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Some people have the money and desire to support the game.

(edited by Liliana Moore.4237)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

The guild I’m on has over 700 members (spread on 2 sub-guilds), we’re mostly casual oriented so not sure if we even have a commander yet (the ones that go to WvW regularly organize trough mumble), but by donating money wouldn’t be hard at all to get a few commanders.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Eochaidh.4106

@Twaddle
I wouldn’t be surprised, but it’s probably not a very common occurrence still.

That’s 450 dollars.

Not really. Watch the market trends and exchange rates. Buy cheap, sell for more.

That’s just not realistic given that there is a ~35% disparity between buying and selling gems. There is no room for profiting over that.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

What happens if the commander decides to leave the guild? Does he still maintain it? Is this something a single player could attain or would you need to be a member of a guild for it to be accessable?

Posted by: dakotahkid.2685

dakotahkid.2685

Indeed not. I have spent ~6g on gems, with the intention of saving them for when inflation hits, I had 1850ish gems, I am down to 1100 now because i spent a few on other things to see if the market would allow buying stuff like mini’s and such to bring in a profit(unless you get really lucky it doesnt btw) but the 1100 I have will only net me around 3.2g as of last week. I only bought gems when I could get more than 400 gems per gold, so 1100 gems cost me about 2.75g the profit margin just isn’t worth it.

Dakota Shadowstrike
CoE

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

IMO, there have been several soft exploits in the game that ANet has been fixing over time – ways to abuse the game and get easy money, just not as grossly as the exploits that have resulted in bans, and I think they’ve eased up on the ban hammer.

So, outside of those who did it as a coordinated effort, I seriously doubt many players who have 100g got there cleanly.

Eochaidh.4106

IMO, there have been several soft exploits in the game that ANet has been fixing over time – ways to abuse the game and get easy money, just not as grossly as the exploits that have resulted in bans, and I think they’ve eased up on the ban hammer.

So, outside of those who did it as a coordinated effort, I seriously doubt many players who have 100g got there cleanly.

Unfortunately it seems to be the case. The hysterical reactions of some completely unrelated people to certain more than legitimate bans didn’t help either. It seems that their policy now is not to ban anyone. A lot of people ended up getting away with undeserved rewards.

Posted by: Korago.7509

Korago.7509

The tactic I used for my 100g is still alive and kicking: farming Cursed Shore events. The Shelters gate area is the best, even with all of the bots. Just get in a group and it makes tagging mobs easy.

15-20g a day if you stick with it for a while each day.

Posted by: Brick Mantooth.9520

Brick Mantooth.9520

We need the option to turn off that annoying Icon in pve. Pvp is fine, but at least let me turn that “hey! look at me!” Icon off in pve.

Posted by: lotusedge.6743

lotusedge.6743

I wouldnt plan on that lasting long. Anet will probably up the event timers to to get people from farming specific de’s or make it extremely boring.

Posted by: Cik.6479

Cik.6479

As with most American things; “Made in China”.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

I just can’t wait until a few months from now when everyone is a commander and the maps are covered in little blue diamonds all running around.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

8 gold as a max for a lvl 80 is a sign there’s been a lot of spending along the way and/or a lack of gold-earning strategies. Yes 100g is a lot. But 8 g you should have attained more than that long before 80.

My guild: Everyone chipped in what they could and we have a couple commanders so far.

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

The tactic I used for my 100g is still alive and kicking: farming Cursed Shore events. The Shelters gate area is the best, even with all of the bots. Just get in a group and it makes tagging mobs easy.

15-20g a day if you stick with it for a while each day.

On average, a player would have to be consistently lucky with yellow drops and green drops and play about 15 hours p/day to earn that. I consider 1G per/hr as a very lucky hour. Otherwise the average is around 70 silver per/hr of pure grind.

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

8 gold as a max for a lvl 80 is a sign there’s been a lot of spending along the way and/or a lack of gold-earning strategies. Yes 100g is a lot. But 8 g you should have attained more than that long before 80.

My guild: Everyone chipped in what they could and we have a couple commanders so far.

And there is nothing wrong with not having a gold earning strategy while leveling up in a new game. I also hit 80 with about 8G. I spent a few on the T1 culturals and repairs and what not. Had I known how difficult and limited it would be to earn coin at 80, I would have saved every cent.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

And there is nothing wrong with not having a gold earning strategy while leveling up in a new game. I also hit 80 with about 8G. I spent a few on the T1 culturals and repairs and what not. Had I known how difficult and limited it would be to earn coin at 80, I would have saved every cent.

No, of course not. And there’s nothing wrong with being poor. Some of the greatest heroes rise from humble status.

Culturals — now there’s a splurge! Why they cost so much?