How do people have so much money?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

I got a little bit more than 100g currently with just farming events and dungeons. Its possible. No trading or exploiting since I hate those kind of people.

You “hate” people who trade? o.O

I guess, he just wanted to emphasis the “exploiting” part but a little grammar problem. Just an honest mistake…

Its not a mistake. Traders add no value to the economy since we have a trading post accessable from anywhere. Traders do no creation of value in this game. All they do is making stuff more expensive for people who want the item for personal use.

Its not like in real life where traders make life easier for you, eg. getting milk from the farmer to your local store. No they just buy up what they deem being to low and sell for higher.

Traders are by nature, at the whim of the masses. If the common people do not want to buy something at a certain price – the price will drop until people start buying again. Traders have always been at the whim and will of the masses. Always. Sure, you may 1 uber rare item and put it up for 200,000 gold. Ya think anyone is going to buy it? Nope. Extreme example – yes. But everything is related to supply/demand. If the supply cost is too high, the demand will shrink and thus profits go down.

Posted by: Jalliah.7862

Jalliah.7862

I don’t have hundreds of gold. I started the game later then most so missed the early TP trading. I have 5 characters with my highest at 35. So far I’ve got about 30 gold. I’d have alot more but have spent quite a bit on mats for leveling all the professions.

A few gold was made when I lucked out and got a black dye drop and another one that was worth a lot. I sold both of them. I always check the prices of dyes that drop before deciding to keep them. Right now I just sell most of them. I like dye but figure I don’t need them all right away.

I realized that after checking the prices for some mats that vendoring most blue drops instead of salvaging and using that money to by the same mats I would have salvaged from them netted more money.

While buying a couple of insignias to get me over a crafting level hump I noticed that one was selling for several gold but that the mats needed for it were less then 1 gold on the TP and that there were a lot of orders for them at a couple of gold under the selling prices. I made a couple and put them up for sale at a little under the last seller price. They sold almost instantly. So I bought more mats and made a larger batch. Again instant sale. Ooo gold mine! So I spent a couple of hours buying, crafting and selling until it became obvious that other people caught on and the selling price went down to almost the order price. I made close to 5 gold doing that and it was only a 75 crafting level item which was cool.

Since then I’ve looked for a similar situation and although I haven’t found anything with quite that much profit I’ve made some silver here and there by buying mats and crafting something that sells higher then the mat price.

Other then that I avoid using waypoints unless it’s really necessary and just sell mats I come across that I don’t need anymore.

(edited by Jalliah.7862)

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

Vjek that is a very dumb statement, if you really think this game is pay to win please go play a real pay to win game like d3 to help you understand the difference.

Gw2 has a gear ceiling that is only inches above incredibly cheap and easy to obtain rare gear. If anything gw2 is pay to get there faster but a skilled player in rare gear will still contend with your full exotic set in pvp or dungeons. That is not pay to win.

In d3 if you purchase the highest top end gear you can get you will unmercifully obliterate a person who is using crafted or found rare gear. That’s called pay to win.

Paying money to be a half step above someone else but they can still take you down, not pay to win.

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

While I can farm a full exotic set in a few days or afford it by playing the TP for a day, most people seem to need weeks, even more than a month to hit the “gear ceiling”.

Or they can just enter their CC info and hit it in 5 minutes.

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Being rich in MMOs is overrated. The only use of gold is to get items that should act as long term goals too quickly, so that you have little else to do in the game. Everything else in the game is quite easily obtainable by just playing the game normally.

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

Bankers, my friend. They run this world.

The Iron Butterfly

Cerise.9045

Being rich in MMOs is overrated. The only use of gold is to get items that should act as long term goals too quickly, so that you have little else to do in the game. Everything else in the game is quite easily obtainable by just playing the game normally.

Wut? I played GW1 for 7000 hours and had obsidian armor in less than 300. I play the game because the game allows me to do things that I have fun doing. I don’t play just to reach some arbitrary goals, that’s why I never look at the game one day and say “well I guess there’s nothing to do now”. I keep playing the game and keep enjoying it. And if I get cool stuff before everyone else then I enjoy it even more. Being richer than everyone also helps.

(edited by Cerise.9045)

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

For some people,the market is the game.They play the Auction Houses,Trading Posts or whatever and rarely set a foot into the world that the devs built for them.And if they go bust,it dosn’t matter,they can just buy more in game currency with RL cash (legal or otherwise)

Sadly this type of eco gamer can have adverse effects on a games economy for players that actually play the game attached to the trading systems.

While it’s not my cup of tea,to hurt a games economy,some type of people gain pleasure from this eco manipulation.It’s not about the games community for them,it’s about what they can manipulate economy wise,because….they can.

At any rate,I never buy or sell on the markets in games because I prefer to just play the game that came attached to the market system,and if items that are required to progress become out of my price range or just plain unnatainable,I move on to another game.

Cerise.9045

For some people,the market is the game.They play the Auction Houses,Trading Posts or whatever and rarely set a foot into the world that the devs built for them.And if they go bust,it dosn’t matter,they can just buy more in game currency with RL cash (legal or otherwise)

Sadly this type of eco gamer can have adverse effects on a games economy for players that actually play the game attached to the trading systems.

While it’s not my cup of tea,to hurt a games economy,some type of people gain pleasure from this eco manipulation.It’s not about the games community for them,it’s about what they can manipulate economy wise,because….they can.

At any rate,I never buy or sell on the markets in games because I prefer to just play the game that came attached to the market system,and if items that are required to progress become out of my price range or just plain unnatainable,I move on to another game.

I never manipulate the market, I just work with the numbers it gives me, I explained my main method for getting money on page 1.

Why do you think people need to buy money with gems or gold farming sites? I made my money perfectly fine without either of those.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

For some people,the market is the game.

And for others the game is everything except the TP.

Both groups of people are only actually playing part of the game.

Any time a player refuses to take part in a specific part of the game they should accept the consequences (e.g. selling everything to venders at vender prices and then finding that they are poorer than other players of their level).

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Sib.1236

Sib.1236

Me i just play the game to make money then use that and salvage rare items for ecto to make myself exotic inscriptions which i then sell on for profit
ok yes i am seriously poor again having only 2s 56c to my name after i spent 7g (yes 7g is the most i have ever had) to get from 0-400 in leather work but im now the happy owner of 2 pieces of exotic armor and i will continue to play to do the above so i can make my self a full set.

The game isnt about how much money you have or who look the best to me it just completing my personal goals and having fun after all isn’t that how it should be

Munchkin Sib [IRON]

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Wut? I played GW1 for 7000 hours and had obsidian armor in less than 300. I play the game because the game allows me to do things that I have fun doing. I don’t play just to reach some arbitrary goals, that’s why I never look at the game one day and say “well I guess there’s nothing to do now”. I keep playing the game and keep enjoying it. And if I get cool stuff before everyone else then I enjoy it even more. Being richer than everyone also helps.

I didn’t mean long term exclusive goals. Most of the fun has to be in the day to day gameplay, otherwise you are just grinding really (by which I mean doing things you would prefer not be doing just for the reward). OTOH rewards & achievements are (obviously) a fun part of games, if one can keep one’s perspective, and they can help to direct play. Perhaps my playstyle in MMOs is influenced by those earlier RPGs (Wizardry, Eye Of The Beholder, Ultima etc) since then it was more obvious that trying to eat the whole pie in one gulp would lead to a long wait for the next game.

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

I never manipulate the market, I just work with the numbers it gives me, I explained my main method for getting money on page 1.

Why do you think people need to buy money with gems or gold farming sites? I made my money perfectly fine without either of those.

I’m sorry if you thought I was directing this at you.It was not.

It’s a fact that there are people that play the latest games for the trading/economy aspect.It’s live,with real people to compete with 24/7,not a economy sim against a boring AI.

It’s also fact that obtaining capital is easier by buying said capital rather than having to farm for it or playing the buy low,sell high game.

And it makes for an awfull lot of currency being injected into an economy of a game,that wasn’t designed as a trader/eco sim,add to that the enormous pressure botting puts on this system and well……..

Again none of this is directed at you good sir.

A quick google search brings up some interesting reads on market manipulation in recent and current games.

I personally know some players who have purchased in game currencies for some of the latest games,or exchanged one currency for another,being RL currency or other games currency,just to play the markets.

In D3,I know of players that bought softcore gold to trade for Hardcore gold,just so they could play the hardcore market(it’s a better market),they never set a foot into the actual hardcore game itself,in fact,I don’t even think they own a level 60 character either softcore or hardcore.

At any rate,as long as we are all having fun in what we are doing and not adversly affecting the game,then more power to us all. =P

Posted by: KryoKore.3281

KryoKore.3281

This is what concerns me in GW2. With low drop rates, DR, farming mats for exotics (that apparently takes forever), one might say you’d have the urge to just, oh, use real money to get that gold. Now, I don’t mind spending a few every now and then, but with things the way they are now, you could easily shell out well over $20.00/mo. – more than an average subscription fee. Sorry, just don’t like the way this is headed. I’d rather pay $14.99/mo., run a dungeon,get an epic, look cool, still have fun. Maybe it’s just me? Maybe I’m wrong? Do exotics actually drop in dungeons? What are the odds? I’m hearing they very rarely do? (Please don’t say spec Magic Find, that seems just, well odd to me – now I have to acquire two sets of gear for PvE? lol)

(edited by KryoKore.3281)

Posted by: KryoKore.3281

KryoKore.3281

Gw2 has a gear ceiling that is only inches above incredibly cheap and easy to obtain rare gear. If anything gw2 is pay to get there faster but a skilled player in rare gear will still contend with your full exotic set in pvp or dungeons. That is not pay to win.

Unless you’re good and have lots of real cash. Then what? Hmmm…

Posted by: OneManArmy.5617

OneManArmy.5617

This is what concerns me in GW2. With low drop rates, DR, farming mats for exotics (that apparently takes forever), one might say you’d have the urge to just, oh, use real money to get that gold. Now, I don’t mind spending a few every now and then, but with things the way they are now, you could easily shell out well over $20.00/mo. – more than an average subscription fee. Sorry, just don’t like the way this is headed. I’d rather pay $14.99/mo., run a dungeon,get an epic, look cool, still have fun. Maybe it’s just me? Maybe I’m wrong? Do exotics actually drop in dungeons? What are the odds? I’m hearing they very rarely do? (Please don’t say spec Magic Find, that seems just, well odd to me – now I have to acquire two sets of gear for PvE? lol)

I’m buffled at people that complain they can’t have a full exotics set instantly in one day.
Let me ask you, have you played any other mmo? Do you know how long it took to acquire an end game epic item in WoW? You had to raid for hours every week, sometimes for months before you could even get one item AND you had to pay a monthly fee.

Guild Wars 2 is fine as it is in this department and you don’t even have to pay a monthly fee.There are so many and fair ways to acquire exotic set gear.

Dungeon exotic set items cost from 180tokens up to 330tokens and weapons 300-360tokens. You get 60tokens,YES 60tokens per path of a dungeon the first time you do it and 20tokens if you do the same path again.Each dungeon has 3paths,so that’s 180tokens earned for doing 3paths per day,which takes total about 1h30 – 3h depending on your group.

On top of that each path run nets you close to 1g income from item drops and chests sold either on TP or to a vendor and you get a chance for rare exotic drops.
If you want more tokens you can speedrun the fastest path of a particular dungeon or go to another dungeon and earn 60-180 different tokens from that as well.
Did I mention tokens are account bound as well?
You can even use other characters to run the same paths and earn 30tokens for their first time.
It took me one week doing the 3paths once per day with random groups, to fully gear my character with an exotic armor set.No exploits no nothing.

Crafting the sets is even more easy if you have an armor crafting profession and if you
are more into the karma/WvWvW then there are legitimate ways to earn that fast.
Google Karma earning guides and you will find plenty of information.

Surrender is not an option!

Posted by: Sovngarde.2740

Sovngarde.2740

A lot of people bought thousands of the cooking mats bought with karma (that were used in cooking PL) before they nerfed it. I myself had 2 tabs full of stacks. They sell for anywhere from 2-5g / stack. (Chili peppers etc.)

At the guy saying lots play the market and never even get into the world…. Its easy enough to “play” the market (which is completely legit) while playing anywhere you want.

People who also say they make nothing off crafting lol…U just have to find the pieces that are selling. People either then straight create it or order it.

Example “hearty” (plate) some pieces sold for 10s and you could order as many as you want for 35+copper lol. Do the math. Its easy to make gold… Just have to learn what to look for. I see items that still sell like this (and being that the TB is all severs) find it amazing the prices are still up on certain items. (Shows how many don’t know where to look; or only copy other people they learn from.)

A lot of people do orders for bulk of mats to get profit by selling rather then to orders. But I stay away from that one. (but is also a way people make ton’s).

Im not even mentioning half of the ways…

Posted by: Paladine.6082

Paladine.6082

These threads make me laugh inside. How hard is it to understand that crafting things for cheaper than you can sell them or buying/selling on the markets will make you money? Seriously, it is trivial to make 50G per day in GW2 just from crafting (no bulk buying/selling resources on the market, just crafting and selling).

So many people PM me “How do you make money?” the answer is easy, I don’t run around asking people how to make money, I spend that time actually doing it.

Mystic Forge Attempts for Pre-Legendary
Lvl 80 Axes : Rare: 483; Exotic: 4 – Frostfang: 0
Lvl 80 Swords : Rare: 20; Exotic: 0 – Zap: 0

Posted by: Drakos.3510

Drakos.3510

Had I been cleverer, I would have dumped ALL my gold into iron ore back when it was at an all-time low price of 4 copper a piece.

At 12c a piece now, once you factor in taxes, its still about a double on your investment. MOST of the people I know with a great deal of gold were players who got to 80 quickly and got to hit the market before it got flooded.

The rest bought gold with money via Gem Store.

Personally, I’m sitting on maybe 20g right now between characters because I’m lazy. I could see how you could easily farm 2-4g per day doing different sorts of things, but I lack the desire. The only reason you’d ever need that much money? Legendary Weapons.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Because they put the AH and Forge into the game long before they were balanced, tested and de-bugged, allowing many lucky users to profit obscenely.

Now you have the opportunity to play verus all the nerfs that were introduced to stop people from being wealthy, while watching the wealthy manipulate your market to become wealthier. Good luck and have fun! Isn’t it great that an online fantasy game is reduced to real-world market conditions within a month? Aren’t social class systems wonderful?

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

Personally, once I hit level 60, I started getting decent yellow items that sell anywhere between 5 and 25 silver on the trading post. I stopped salvaging everything and just sell it, then buy crafting materials (1 piece of leather from an item I can vendor for almost 2 silver, no brainer). I also never use the mystic forge to combine items.

Jestunhi.7429

I see a worrying amount of people who don’t have much gold who accuse everyone who is richer than them of exploiting.

Is this the new “anyone who can kill me is exploiting” adapted for an economic system?

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

@ Cerise

There is no FILO system for sale orders, it’s FIFO. There was a bug with TP previously, that made in work in FILO manner at random. The game also used to erroneously prioritise smaller sale orders over bigger ones. If you still run into any of these, these are bugs and will likely get reported over and over again until they’re fixed.

Posted by: Krighton.2138

Krighton.2138

Gold is relatively cheap to buy. I have not purchased any because the game isn’t good enough to warrant the investment. However, games like WoW and Tera were and the invest was warranted. Then you were able to play the game with good / best gear as intended without having to work 80 hrs a week, then come home and work another 30 on a game with no reward.

Insanity.

However, the amount of currency that is rewarded in GW2 is beyond laughable, there is NO way to earn 100g reasonably. Notice I said reasonably.

Buying gold is how these people got their money. Period.

Krighton.2138

I see a worrying amount of people who don’t have much gold who accuse everyone who is richer than them of exploiting.

Is this the new “anyone who can kill me is exploiting” adapted for an economic system?

Besides the fact that classes are 6 months away from being balanced properly, No. It’s not the new label.

It’s the only way it can be done. I have about 60 hours in the game and have amassed 1G 30 silver.

It’s a joke really. It’s like they’re encouraging players to buy gold. lol.

185G for a yellow weapon? Who can buy that? who’s the kitten that priced it that high? Oh.. right the guy that bought gold.

Jestunhi.7429

Gold is relatively cheap to buy. I have not purchased any because the game isn’t good enough to warrant the investment. However, games like WoW and Tera were and the invest was warranted. Then you were able to play the game with good / best gear as intended without having to work 80 hrs a week, then come home and work another 30 on a game with no reward.

Insanity.

However, the amount of currency that is rewarded in GW2 is beyond laughable, there is NO way to earn 100g reasonably. Notice I said reasonably.

My brother got a Dusk first time he used the mystic forge, sold it got about 180g on the TP soon after (once he borrowed enough gold to cover the charges).

He’s never bought currency.

I have ~20g at level 35, I’ve not exploited or bought.

There are plenty of ways to earn money, how “reasonable” they are is subjective and differs from person to person.

:edit:

This is within the last week, not before patches which altered the forge

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

Flipping the TP

Paladine.6082

Insanity.

Your hypothesis is complete rubbish. I have never sold gems for gold; neither have I bought gold from other sources; neither do I “flip” TP – all my money is made from crafting and I can easily make 50G per day and have made many hundreds of gold since I started playing.

Just because you can’t figure it out, doesn’t mean everyone who can is buying gold.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I tax my guild 1 gold per day.
Theres currently 30 people in the guild and 3 founders, thats 10 gold per day for each of us.

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

@Paladine
Just curious, what crafting professions do you have? Most of the useful stuff I can make I’m usually better off just selling the mats, seems I have some research to do…

Paladine.6082

@Corew

I have several of the armor crafting skills, couple of the weapon crafting skills. However, the most lucrative skill seems to be cooking, which I don’t have but my fiancée does and she does well out of it.

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

“The trading post uses a filo system which means if you’re the latest person to list an item, your items will sell before the people who put the items up before you!”

That’s absolutely terrible.

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

This game does not reward honest play. Period. If you want to enjoy the high life in this game, you must either:

• Buy gems from ArenaNet and convert them into gold;
  • Buy gold from gold sellers;
  • Gamble at the Mystic Forge, or;
  • Run a bot army.

If you’re silly enough to think that you’re going to get rich by studious participation in events, diligent gathering, and busy crafting, well, go for it, I guess. Right now, though, the bots have owned this game in its entirety, and those willing to buy gold from bots get a much better rate than buying it from ArenaNet.

Posted by: Demosthene.2195

Demosthene.2195

@ Kwami, that’s nonsense.

"There is no FILO system for sale orders, it’s FIFO. There was a bug with TP previously, that made it work in FILO manner at random. The game also used to erroneously prioritise smaller sale orders over bigger ones. If you still run into any of these, these are bugs and will likely get reported over and over again until they’re fixed."

My earlier post in this thread.

@ AveryFarman

I suggest using the following sites for your own benefit:

http://www.gw2spidy.com/
http://www.guildwarstrade.com/
http://gw2wiz.com/
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/

There are more, yes, but enough is enough. Information on how to improve your condition in a constructive & productive manner is readily available. It’s up to you what you do with that, and how efficient you are at acquiring wealth.

(edited by Demosthene.2195)

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

While I know that your advice is well-meaning, none of that information is going to offset the damage being done to the game by the rampant botting. Until the botting is reined in, playing this game is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Jestunhi.7429

The above post is correct, it’s now FIFO as it was intended to be.

Paladine.6082

@Rizzy
You what the now? Your guild members need to find a new guild lol.

Kwami.4356

@Demosthene.2195: Good! That’s how it should be!

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

Playing the TP is good money, but man i find it boring I would rather just play. Also if you look at the TP if you sell way low someone playing it will buy high. and sell over priced or close to current market.

Since its FIFO, i have a harder time getting my items to sell than its almost worth. Even if you under cut there is a chance your item wont come up to buy for a while.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Because for them it is fun to sit and stare at the tp. Pick an item type that has some demand always buy up all available and resell at a much higher price. Oh and kick start this process with your visa. Not my idea of fun but good for them.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

there’s still "the classic way of the grind"

1.: just kill mobs on one spot like you do in any k-mmo
2.: do it again
3.: do it again
4.: sell gear to the NPC and mats at the TP after you start getting aching muscles
5.: profit

i did that for months in RO...for just ONE item...man i must have been so bored at that time...good times tho

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Kwami.4356

there’s still “the classic way of the grind”

1.: just kill mobs on one spot like you do in any k-mmo
2.: do it again
3.: do it again
4.: sell gear to the NPC and mats at the TP after you start getting aching muscles
5.: profit

i did that for months in RO…for just ONE item…man i must have been so bored at that time…good times tho

Too bad this game has a DR system to prevent that. :/

Posted by: Fluffycalico.2715

Fluffycalico.2715

(I’ve salvaged almost 300k items to get to this point which has skyrocketted my Achievement Points to nearly 4500), .

At 1 salvage per second…thats 80 hrs of nothing but clicking salvage.
Not including aquireing them in the first place

Krighton.2138

This game does not reward honest play. Period. If you want to enjoy the high life in this game, you must either:

• Buy gems from ArenaNet and convert them into gold;
  • Buy gold from gold sellers;
  • Gamble at the Mystic Forge, or;
  • Run a bot army.

If you’re silly enough to think that you’re going to get rich by studious participation in events, diligent gathering, and busy crafting, well, go for it, I guess. Right now, though, the bots have owned this game in its entirety, and those willing to buy gold from bots get a much better rate than buying it from ArenaNet.

Lol.. 100% truth

Posted by: Barsimoprimo.2759

Barsimoprimo.2759

I made about 100 gold so far playing the TP. If you want to make alot of gold you have to play the market. That, farm or pay for gems.