How do you turn down spell effects?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

Doing WvW sometimes I get to the point where I cant figure out whats going on. Its not really a lag issue but more of a “Holy crap theres too much stuff flying around” issue. How can I just turn the spell effects off so I can enjoy WvW without pink domes everywhere? I have tried messing with the settings but if I turn stuff down the game just looks like crap. I want to keep textures and stuff like that maxed out becuase they dont hinder me. I just want all spell effects gone. Im a Warrior I dont need to see pretty lights everywhere.

Posted by: AriaSilverfyre.8702

AriaSilverfyre.8702

Unfortunately, you can’t turn off spell effects. I often wish I could as well, just so I can better see boss tells, etc.

Guild Leader of ’"The Gryphons Aerie [REST]": A PvE/RP family
Join Us – http://www.thegryphonsaerie.com

Dabrixmgp.4758

Unfortunately, you can’t turn off spell effects. I often wish I could as well, just so I can better see boss tells, etc.

what do you mean? I have 14 year old MMOs installed where they can be turned off. How am I supposed to WvW if theres clutter everywhere making it hard to target people. Hell half the time I end up losing my mouse pointer somewhere on screen because of all the spell effects. Is there anyway to at least turn them down? I find it really hard to believe someone would make a game and then forbid you from turning down/off spell effects.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Im not sure if you can do this, but I’ll try and find out for you right now!
Give me a moment…

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Turn down your post-processing and shaders, and adjust the “Effects LOD” settings to lowest. It’s not going to remove everything, but it’ll cut down on a lot of bloom and light. I’d also recommend turning down everything else in zergs to reduce lag, which is more of a danger than excessive spell effects in WvW.

WvW itself, I find, is more of a matter of practice. I’ve been in a few 100v100 fights and haven’t had issues with targeting, but it’s probably because I’m desensitized to the stuff that goes on and able to sort out what is what. And also because I go into a sort of trance where my whole focus is staying on the commander like white on rice, and everything kind of follows. (Also, you actually don’t want all spell effects turned off, since you’ll want to be able to see friendly combo fields for blasting, know when you’re about to walk into a hostile Static Field, or know that the reason you’re getting hammered is because someone cast a Feedback on you. Older games tend not to rely so much on sight identification and positioning of effects.)

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Turn down your post-processing and shaders, and adjust the “Effects LOD” settings to lowest. It’s not going to remove everything, but it’ll cut down on a lot of bloom and light. I’d also recommend turning down everything else in zergs to reduce lag, which is more of a danger than excessive spell effects in WvW.

WvW itself, I find, is more of a matter of practice. I’ve been in a few 100v100 fights and haven’t had issues with targeting, but it’s probably because I’m desensitized to the stuff that goes on and able to sort out what is what. And also because I go into a sort of trance where my whole focus is staying on the commander like white on rice, and everything kind of follows. (Also, you actually don’t want all spell effects turned off, since you’ll want to be able to see friendly combo fields for blasting, know when you’re about to walk into a hostile Static Field, or know that the reason you’re getting hammered is because someone cast a Feedback on you. Older games tend not to rely so much on sight identification and positioning of effects.)

Yeah I think I have to agree with Falunel.7645 solution!
I cannot find another way to do it unfortunantly.

See if her suggestion helps.

Dabrixmgp.4758

trying that now thanks.

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

There’s no way to turn them off and turning them down does not do much. What I do to help ease the eye strain caused by the constant flickering and flashing is tab for a target and then look away from the screen while pressing 1 repeatedly only glancing back at the screen every 30 seconds or so to see if I need to retarget. This works especially well with a staff guardian since 1 is a ranged cone attack.

Dabrixmgp.4758

followed Falunel’s advice and it works great.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

followed Falunel’s advice and it works great.

That is awesome to hear man!!!
^^ I’m glad it’s working out well for ya!!!

If you wish to game with me sometime, feel free to add me on Skype too!

Skype username: DreamyAbaddon