How long does it average takes to level up ?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Alawy.6802

Alawy.6802

I bought this awesome game like 7 days before
I enjoy doing everything possible on the map
I dont leave a place untill im sure there is no little stuff i could have missed inaide ( like harvests or trees ).
But i found it a little longer leveling than what i got used to,
I spended my last 3 hours playing and all i had was moving from 20 to 21.8 .
while someone i joined his party moved from 28to30 in half that time
Which i find pretty anoyying. ( or was it ? ) .
like am i doing this wrong ? Should i keep vistas and these stuff after reaching 80?
or is it normal for me to take a long time leveling up since its my first charcter and exploring comes FIRST.
i would really like to hear your suggests.

P.S : I am planing to do the main story at level 22 so it become easier for me to finish.

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

Well, if you enjoy finding everything there is, then by all means continue. It doesn’t take very long to level up, especially compared to other MMOs. The other person may have just been running between points on the map hurrying to unlock them.

Note that you can see gathering nodes on your minimap, so you don’t need to explore a particular space completely to know whether or not resources of that type are there. However, there are lots of things people can miss if they just hurry around gathering exp as quickly as possible – stuff like jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, or even just npcs that might have interesting dialogue.

I wouldn’t say you’re doing anything wrong as long as you’re enjoying it. Even if it takes a little longer than for some, you will still easily get to level 80, and it will probably have been far more fruitful for you than someone who just rushed their first character to 80 looking for what they think of as endgame stuff.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They may have been using consumables to speed leveling.
Low level, I use rice balls which give 10% more exp per kill and I use the fireworks from the lunar new year, which give 10% bonus experience from all sources. There is also the boosters from the gem store that give exp upon kill.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rice_Ball
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Homemade_Lucky_Envelope

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Eethy.6421

Eethy.6421

I enjoy doing everything possible on the map
I dont leave a place untill im sure there is no little stuff i could have missed inaide ( like harvests or trees ).

Yeah, that’s going to mean you level more slowly.

When I leveled my first character, and I wanted to explore everything and discover all the little hidden gems the devs added. I think that’s a good way to go for your first char or two.

Once you start leveling alts, you’ve seen the scenery a few times & sometimes you may want just to blast through and get to 80.

I haven’t carefully timed it, but based on casually glancing at the time now and then it seems to take me roughly an hour to two hours per level, depending on what I do.

Based on the wiki entry for experience, it appears that completing your personal story and running dungeons gives by far the most experience. Completing a dungeon gives you 70% of the dungeon’s level’s XP.

Renown hearts and skill challenges come in second by a wide margin.

Tomes of Knowledge, grant an increase of one level, although they aren’t easy to acquire.

Just running around the map killing stuff and gathering eats up time and doesn’t buy you much XP.

These things help to greater or lesser degrees…

- Depending on your class, at some point a %15 speed boost skill opens up. Cover ground faster == gain XP faster.

- Grab skill points when convenient. The increase your abilities, which allows you to finish content faster & hence gain XP faster. But don’t waste 45 minutes fighting your way to an inaccessible skill point. Wait until you have a close-by waypoint and you’re advanced enough to just run past the creatures obstructing it.

- Completing dailies/achievements. I’m a little hazy on how this works, but I’m pretty sure it helps somehow. Maybe someone who knows the game better can explain it.

- As Just a flesh wound.3589 mentioned, there are various consumables. Their effect is marginal but they’re quick and easy to acquire.

(edited by Eethy.6421)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I levelled my first character in the same way (and most of my others). I dont know how many hours it took but I started at the end of August (headstart weekend) and got to level 80 at the end of March.

With consumables and focusing on stuff that gives XP it is faster, but IMO the important thing is that you’re not missing anything by levelling slowly. The game doesn’t change at level 80 (except that you can go to any map) so there’s no need to rush.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

My first char took 130 hours .. my last char (nr. 17) took 19 hours.

I think ANet said in the beginning that it should take normally 1-1.5 hours per level
but in the end it makes a big difference how many events you do in a given time.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

One also needs to figure in account bonuses. Higher Achievement Point (AP) amounts mean boosts to many things, including xp. So your 17th character will have a boost, all right!

Though indeed taking time to explore, to RP, to do every nook and cranny will slow you down, a good rule of thumb is to expect an hour per level so long as you are actively doing xp-causing actions in that hour.

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

Keep in mind you get tomes of instant level up from log-in rewards. I haven’t used them yet, so I don’t know if they are on a cooldown or whatever. But if they aren’t, I can level up 18 levels or so instantly, if I wanted to.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Keep in mind you get tomes of instant level up from log-in rewards. I haven’t used them yet, so I don’t know if they are on a cooldown or whatever. But if they aren’t, I can level up 18 levels or so instantly, if I wanted to.

I don’t think they’re on a cool down.

They definitely weren’t back in September when I used a level 20 scroll and about 30 tomes to quickly level up a character to try out the new storyline and I haven’t heard about them being changed since.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

They aren’t. Use them as quickly as you can click on them – only pause is how long the instructions take getting there.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Things that will speed up your levelling experience in PvE:

- boosters (some are rewarded via levelling up)
- Food and/or Utility consumables (certain levels required to consume)
- being in a party or have a buddy (generally kill things quicker and they may provide boons that benefit everyone)
- try and complete each zone in a z!g zag pattern going up or down, left to right or vice versa depending on where you entered as not to run back to an undiscovered Vista for example.. As it may waste time and your food timer could run out etc
- complete your dailies as they may grant this new thing called a Writ of Experience that boosts your experience bar by a fraction. You may also acquire Tombs of Knowledge by doing certain dailies.

Things that will speed up your levelling experience in WvW:

- Edge of the Mists
- placed guild banners that grant certain bonuses (can work in PvE as well)

This is a map where tiers of merged servers are pitched up against each other for the week’s rotation. Whatever side you are on generally has a Commander driving a Zerg (mass group of players) and they run around capping things (called a Karma Train by most) and in doing so everyone reaps in fast levels, karma and WvW ranks; loot bags if you successfully collide & best an enemy Zerg and generally champion bags from killing stuff)

Hope this helps.