How many dyes are there?

How many dyes are there?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Thurgood.9726

Thurgood.9726

Ok, so I’m a dye collector. According to the wiki, there’s a total of 405 dyes. Yet if you add all the listed ones up, you get 389 including starter dyes. Right now I’m at 403 collected dyes, and I can’t find the 2 so-said remaining anywhere.

Anyone knows FOR SURE how many dyes are availible in the game?

Attachments:

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: SausageStorm.4293

SausageStorm.4293

While I may not have an answer for you, I have a question. Where is that wonderful helmet from? :[

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

SE explo, medium armor

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

OP,
Since you have so many, what would be really nice is if you could edit the wiki to include the names of every dye you have. Anyone having the missing dyes would be able to tell at a glance and could add the names, too. It would be a great reference for a lot of people.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

I have no idea where to start when it comes to editing the wiki. I’d love to do so if I had a clue.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Disregard that last post, I found the elementary guide on the wiki now.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Belcross.6127

Belcross.6127

And I thought I had a lot of dyes…. -_-;

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Matthew Kline.8420

Matthew Kline.8420

Wow that’s impressive

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

That is an INSANE list of dyes. Major kudos on being that patient and persistent. Not something I could do.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

The worst part is – there’s no achievement for it

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: CaptainFox.4582

CaptainFox.4582

I feel your pain man, I did the math and the last 2 dyes that are currently listed on the TP that I need are Midnight Ice, and Black dye, putting me at 403 dyes if I were to buy those, and now I’m OCDing to figure out if maybe there are 2 “Exotic” dyes that you can only get through cooking or the Mystic Forge, or if the wiki once again is useless and can’t even god kitten count correctly.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Minda.9270

Minda.9270

I think if you click the little cog and organize it by color you can maybe find the missing ones a little bit easier by following the wiki as well!

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

So far, 407 different dyes have been discovered

Source

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

There’s so much irony in that picture it’s driving me crazy. :P

:)

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Linking to/pointing to the wiki is no help. The dye page is incomplete, as I have more dyes than listed. Now, I wonder what the source is for the 407 dyes.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

That sucks.. there really should be an chievement for collecting all dye. Good job on so many…

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Nikkita.8760

Nikkita.8760

I find it amusing that you have 400+ dyes yet your gear is pretty much black and white…lol

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Its a first world problem, I never decide what colors to use because its so many of them

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I collect dyes also. I would give a limb to find black dye. I found one on TP going for a bit to much gold for me.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Laurs.7526

Laurs.7526

Anyone else see the resemblance between the OP in that armour and a Krogan?

Srual – Thief – Desolation

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I collect dyes also. I would give a limb to find black dye. I found one on TP going for a bit to much gold for me.

The black (actually a very dark grey) dye you are probably looking for is called Abyss. I found it in a random loot drop last week.

I seem to get 2-3 dye drops for every 6-8 hrs of game play as random loot. Don’t know if this the normal drop rate. The ones I already have go on the TP and always sell very quickly for a very nice returns!

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

How many dyes are there?

bri.2359

Anyone else see the resemblance between the OP in that armour and a Krogan?

Yup!!

Gandara Megaserver

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Since you’re obviously quite knowledgable about dyes….

What are cheap alternatives to Black, White, & Silver dye that I could buy from the TP? As it is, those are pretty coveted and expensive. Is there a “frosting” or something that is pretty close and still awesome looking?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

How many dyes are there?

bri.2359

Since you’re obviously quite knowledgable about dyes….

What are cheap alternatives to Black, White, & Silver dye that I could buy from the TP? As it is, those are pretty coveted and expensive. Is there a “frosting” or something that is pretty close and still awesome looking?

Not sure who you are addressing this to, but I can suggest you go here :
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dye

and check out the various shades you might like. Make note of them and periodically check on the TP to see if they are available,

Gandara Megaserver

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Token.6501

Token.6501

I believe that the wiki is counting a couple dyes from the beta that may have been removed for the release.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Thanks bri. Unfortunately, wiki only shows what the game does: a tiny little box of color. But we all know that some colors appear a bit differently on armor than in that little box. Some are extra bright, some are shiny, some are really gaudy. So what I’d like to know (from someone with a whole lotta dye) is..

Is there a dye that is a cheaper alternative to the expensive black, white, silver? Is there a midnight something that’s darn close to black? or a frosting color that’s quite bright white-ish.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Token.6501

Token.6501

Ebony is pretty close to black on some items and it’s a starter color.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Sparkie.3465

Sparkie.3465

Thurgood – Use the trading post.

The trading post will list items that have been posted in the past even if there are none in stock. It seems relatively safe to assume that all dyes have been discovered and sold at least once by now, so it should have a complete (or very nearly complete) list.

I suggest you make a spreadsheet with a list of your current dyes. Then make a list of the dyes on the trade post and compare them. You should be able to sort the dyes by alphabetical order easily in a spreadsheet program, if you aren’t very familiar with them (like excel or open office calc). You could also list and sort entries by known sets, materials, and color categories. With a little bit of effort, you can also make the spreadsheet pop out a list of dyes you don’t have yet.

That way, if and when they add new dyes, you’ll be able to just expand your existing spreadsheet and keep going.

How many dyes are there?

bri.2359

Thanks bri. Unfortunately, wiki only shows what the game does: a tiny little box of color. But we all know that some colors appear a bit differently on armor than in that little box.

Ok, see your point …
I play a ranger, and in the Ranger profession forum there is a thread where we post screenies of our toons. Not sure if the other profession have a similar type thread, but perhaps going through the pics, you can see something you like, then try to find out from the poster what dye was used.

Would be nice if there was a database showing the dyes applied to various pieces of kit. However, this would take a long time to build ..

Gandara Megaserver

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Thurgood – Use the trading post.

The trading post will list items that have been posted in the past even if there are none in stock. It seems relatively safe to assume that all dyes have been discovered and sold at least once by now, so it should have a complete (or very nearly complete) list.

I suggest you make a spreadsheet with a list of your current dyes. Then make a list of the dyes on the trade post and compare them. You should be able to sort the dyes by alphabetical order easily in a spreadsheet program, if you aren’t very familiar with them (like excel or open office calc). You could also list and sort entries by known sets, materials, and color categories. With a little bit of effort, you can also make the spreadsheet pop out a list of dyes you don’t have yet.

That way, if and when they add new dyes, you’ll be able to just expand your existing spreadsheet and keep going.

Yeah, I check the TP daily for dyes. Not a single one found that i don’t already during the last 7 days, even among the unlisted ones. 41 pages of anything with “dye” in it’s name checked daily.

Seras, I’ll help you out finding some cheap alternatives once I get to my computer. Im on my cell atm. Add me in-game

(edited by Thurgood.9726)

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Sparkie.3465

Sparkie.3465

You probably don’t need to check daily. No patches means no major game changes which means no new dyes. If there are any unlisted that exist, the drop rate would have to be at least as bad as 1 in 10 million or so. Probably worse – I don’t have a big handle on the unidentified dye market but I hear it’s one of the fastest in the game.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

I know I don’t, but there must be some more dyes. I’ve heard that there’s both 405 and 407 “confirmed” in the game. Unless those sources are wrong, of course..

As for the unidentified dye market I can confirm its lightning fast. Its currently the most traded item on the TP.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Alientongue.3045

Alientongue.3045

While i dont know much about dyes other then wat the Wiki says but i just wanted to say your toon looks like a kitten jawa

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Thanks for helping, Alientongue.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

does anybody perchance know, whether magic find influences ‘opening’ an unidentified dye?

I mean: will the chance to get a rare dye increase if you doubleclick an unidentified dye with magic find equip? or is the actual dye predetermined during the drop? I’m hoarding my dyes for now until I know this =)

my favourites so far are midnight fire/ice and banana. the latter looks surprisingly good as secondary colour for darker main-dyes imo =) tarnished silver is also very nice for heavy armor (didn’t like it for cloth that much) I’m still tempted to try out humiliation for a dungeon run or something alike.

How many dyes are there?

bri.2359

I’m level 59 with human female medium armour. This is some the ugliest armour in the game, so have tried to help it some what with dyes.

So far I have Abyss, Midnight Fire and Midnight Gold spread over on my coat, gloves, boots, with Mushroom trousers. I keep the shoulders and mask visibility ticked ‘off’ …

Gandara Megaserver

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Anyways, does anyone really know FOR SURE how many dyes there are? That’s why I started this thread.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

I decide to bump this as my question remains unanswered.

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: ozymandias.5317

ozymandias.5317

Checking www.gw2db.com a quick search for dye produces 439 results, subtract the generic “Unidentified Dye” of which there are 34, and the 1 dye pack listed, leaves you with 404 colors. I didn’t take the time to see if any are duplicates, but perhaps you could cross reference your collection and see what comes up short?

Just checked the same thing on guildhead.com with the same results.

So I will go with 404 colors.

Maybe roll one of each race to see if there is an exclusive starter color? Seems like different color choices are available in the starter palettes which may be why you are short.

http://trikktheasura.wordpress.com
or follow me on twitter @trikktheasura
Trikke <Sorrows Children> [SRRW] — Sea of Sorrows

(edited by ozymandias.5317)

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Clever fella! In that case I’m only missing 1 dye. FML.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Okay, si I’ve counted everything by hand and put it in a spreadsheet. According to gw2db, there is a total of 82 rares, 119 uncommon and 181 common. All of these the same amount that I’ve collected. The starter dyes, however, count up to 22 according to the db, versus my 21.

The dye I seem to miss is a starter dye named “identity”. Anyone got this one? If so, what race and class?

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: andybmcc.8751

andybmcc.8751

I wonder if “identity” isn’t like a base dye or even the dye remover that was datamined. Seems like an odd name for a dye.

How many dyes are there?

Thurgood.9726

Weird that its listed as a dye on gw2db, nonetheless.
http://www.gw2db.com/items/21839-identity-dye

How many dyes are there?

Posted by: mokaiba.4169

mokaiba.4169

list the dyes here in left to right order based on you screenshot.