How to Gear Up Cheaply at 80?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JeetyWeety.2948

JeetyWeety.2948

Q:

I just hit 80 on my first toon. I have about 8 gold and I just purchased all green gear. Partly because I don’t have a lot of gold, crafting doesn’t interest me that much.

How do I improve my gear? I don’t care much for new skins, just better stats. Do I now just run dungeons over and over and use the tokens/karma/gold to buy better gear?

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

A:

There are multiple ways to gear up. I personally am still in rares/masterworks I purchased and doing fine, so don’t feel crippled by not having access to full exotics.

If you want exotics without the gold cost, run AC explorable over and over (or rather, each path once a day) for dungeon tokens and trade them in for the exotics you want at the trader in Fort Marriner at Lion’s Arch. Or grind for karma via Orr (Plinx or Lyssa event chains) and buy exotic armor from the karma merchants at the temples. Be aware that with both ways, you may be limited on the types of stat sets you can receive, and that you may have to deal with temples/Arah being contested with the karma route (as each merchant offers different stat sets).

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

Falunel pretty much covered everything, I wanted to add in one more thing.

Crafted gear can get pretty cheap, depending on the stat sets you’re looking for. I picked up a full set of armor (no trinkets, no weapons) from the Trading Post for just over 11 gold by making purchase offers. Steal of a deal compared to the 120 gold cultural set.

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

The most efficient way is to buy chest/legging with temple karma vendor,
And everything AC.
However you may need some transmute stones since ac and karma armor don’t match very well

(edited by nelopp.6140)

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Or you could make friends with a crafter. Friends often make things from your materials for nothing more than thanks and seeing you wear them. It does not diminish the crafter’s pleasure even if you change the look of the item with transformation stones as long as they know it. Link to the transformed gear and say thanks.

I once made something for someone for no compensation and used some of my own materials when his weren’t enough only to learn he immediately sold it at the TP for over 2 g. It did not feel good.
In contrast, another case we hunted the Karka Island big ori vein together to get enough materials for another guy’s axe. That was fun and rewarding.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

what nelopp outlined above is good advice. i’m saving up karma so i didn’t use any there, but each temple karma vendor exotic armour will cost you 42k karma. where with dungeon tokens, chest and leg pieces cost the most.

that being said, do check out which stats you want to get and go for the respective dungeon and or temple karmas. a little mix and matching may be required.

some links that could help you out determine which stats and where you can get them:

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Or you could make friends with a crafter. Friends often make things from your materials for nothing more than thanks and seeing you wear them. It does not diminish the crafter’s pleasure even if you change the look of the item with transformation stones as long as they know it. Link to the transformed gear and say thanks.

I once made something for someone for no compensation and used some of my own materials when his weren’t enough only to learn he immediately sold it at the TP for over 2 g. It did not feel good.
In contrast, another case we hunted the Karka Island big ori vein together to get enough materials for another guy’s axe. That was fun and rewarding.

This. Many people in my guild will craft stuff for other members, as long as you provide the materials, for no reward other than knowing other guild members will do the same for them when they need it. There are also people who offer the same service to anyone every so often.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”