How to be Patient?

How to be Patient?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well, I’m finally 98% done with making Howler, the legendary warhorn, but there is one problem I’ve yet to overcome. And that is being patient.

I have enough gold to buy the precursor outright from the sell order of 569 gold, but that would essentially leave me impoverished, and I still have the icy runestones, recipes and ancient/hard/seasoned wood left to buy. So I placed a buy order for 459 gold and 25 silver yesterday afternoon. During that time, someone placed a buy order for 460, which disappeared an hour later, indicating to me that the buy order just above mine was fulfilled. Then my order was the top order for the item in the evening for 3 hours before I went to bed. I checked when I woke up, and now there are 3 orders above me, and the highest goes up to 480 gold. I really don’t want to spend more than 460 gold on this precursor (which btw was 380 gold in may until it spiked for some reason in june to where it is now) so that way I will have exactly 120 gold left to buy the runestones and legendary gift recipe.

How can I be patient, and how much longer can it be expected to wait? After 2 months of hard work and awful pug attempts I’m so glad that I’m finally this close to making my first and quite possibly my last legendary. Until it goes through, I’m probably going to go through a deforestation romp through tyria, to get the last of the wood I need, and since if I have to pug AC one more time I’ll probably vomit, I guess deforestation, pvp, and wvw are my only options while I deal with this wait.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You can attempt to guess how long it will take to buy Howl by looking at GW2TP and seeing how often the buy orders dip below 459g25s.

http://www.gw2tp.com/item/29184-howl

During the past week it has done so several times.

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

Yeah I know, its just that its so hard to be patient when its literally the last thing you need to be done with this quest!

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

given your situation and how you explained it… you should be patient because straight up buying the pre isn’t going to get you howler any sooner, as you said, because you wouldn’t have more money for everything else that remains.

So, as I see it, you have three options:
1) buy the howler for more gold, which forces you to grind more gold or do a boring mat hunt until you have enough to finish.
or
B) be patient. Do any content you find fun. When someone sells you the pre, finish the legendary. Smile.
or
III) Go all in on being patient (remove your option to be impatient). Spend all your gold on the runestones and everything else you need (except the gold on the buy order, of course). Now you have to wait and might feel freed from the pressure. This may make you more anxious, though.

Should be an easy enough choice. Good luck, and congrats on making it so far!!

How to be Patient?

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Legendaries take time, if I made a post like this for every time I was frustrated with the TP and prices being too high in general, I’d have made a few at least. The most tiresome ordeal for me when crafting legendaries was not that I lacked the gold needed (i had more than enough), but that I had to wait so long for the price of T6 mats and pres to drop before I could buy them from the TP. I had to wait at least a month before I could safely bid and get Dusk for 800g (yes it was just as costly as now), and I did the same thing with the other pres I needed. I still remember the total cost for Howler when I crafted it months ago was around 850g (yes.. I remember thinking that’s pretty cheap for a legendary) but it is probably higher now. I also don’t see why people complain about as little as 20g, but I understand how it might be hard if you are pugging dungeons to get that much. I easily make twice that in a day without running dungeons like crazy though, so I could possibly lend you some gold if you need it.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

given your situation and how you explained it… you should be patient because straight up buying the pre isn’t going to get you howler any sooner, as you said, because you wouldn’t have more money for everything else that remains.

So, as I see it, you have three options:
1) buy the howler for more gold, which forces you to grind more gold or do a boring mat hunt until you have enough to finish.
or
B) be patient. Do any content you find fun. When someone sells you the pre, finish the legendary. Smile.
or
III) Go all in on being patient (remove your option to be impatient). Spend all your gold on the runestones and everything else you need (except the gold on the buy order, of course). Now you have to wait and might feel freed from the pressure. This may make you more anxious, though.

Should be an easy enough choice. Good luck, and congrats on making it so far!!

Thanks, I think I’m going to go for choice, 3, its the most rational thing for me to do!

And nagr, if you bought everything from sell orders right now, it would cost 1885 gold. although thanks to mats accumulating over time and whatnot, I probably will have spent about 1000-1010 gold on it when its done. I sold almost everything in my bank that I didn’t need every two weeks, converted almost all of my account’s skill points to gold by promoting various cores to lodestones, salvaged expensive runes from old character’s armorsets from last year that had valuable runes/sigils, ie 2 strength runes, a hoelbrak rune, a perplexity rune (I’d have sold 5 more if WvW armor could be salvaged…). And I’ve ran 5-9 paths per day for the last month or so. Before then I didn’t run as much PvE, usually just a daily fractal, but then I got serious about farming gold. I also flipped exotic inscriptions for a while in the beginning which REALLY payed off, but its not really profitable anymore now that demand for them seems to have increased. I also WvW most nights with my guild, which is my biggest source of enjoyment and another although minor source of income

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

keep in mind this was many months ago, when Howl was like 300g or so (dont remember exact price). I hope you understand Howler has always been one of the cheaper legendaries.. when I was starting out it took me 3-4 months to get enough gold to craft Sunrise. Twilight which I crafted like a month ago was easily about 2000g. of course I wasn’t counting sell orders for all t6 mats, I know it would be much more if i did that. I had some mats already, promoted some and got others from clovers.. otherwise Howler would’ve been over 1000g for sure.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

keep in mind this was many months ago, when Howl was like 300g or so (dont remember exact price). I hope you understand Howler has always been one of the cheaper legendaries.. when I was starting out it took me 3-4 months to get enough gold to craft Sunrise. Twilight which I crafted like a month ago was easily about 2000g. of course I wasn’t counting sell orders for all t6 mats, I know it would be much more if i did that. I had some mats already, promoted some and got others from clovers.. otherwise Howler would’ve been over 1000g for sure.

Yeah, and I’m totally fine with it being one of the cheaper legendaries. And one of the reasons I like it so much is that many of the other legendaries are too common and overrdone, at least to me, but the offhands are more rarely made, so I like those a lot more. I actually almost made the minstrel, which I would’ve been done with already, but since Necro is my main (I play ele and mesmer too but they’re kinda meh to me) I figured I shou;dn’t make a weapon that would look totally out of place on it, and the foggy aura is what really sealed the deal for me.

Anyway right now I’m literally just waiting for someone to sell it to me, then the struggle will at long last be over!

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

Hmm I’m so impatient now. I’ve finished all of the other gifts, so literally I just need the precursor. I even raised my buy order with the 5 gold I have left, and 3 people put orders only 1 copper or 1 silver above mine((

Its just so frustrating to see someone put a buy order up only one gold above mine, or maybe 5 gold above mine, and then to come back later and see that the slightly higher order is gone, so they probably got the order fulfilled. If I had raised my buy order to 465 gold (now with 12 silver too) earlier, then I could have superceded the person that got it for 460, and I’d be done..

I have a feeling that some people could be flipping the precursor, which as controversial as it may seem is okay, but still frustrates me because I’m actually on the very final step for making this weapon and others might just be trying to make a bit of gold, and it just bugs me that I have to compete with that mentality for this one item.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

proviticus.4183

sorry to hear man. Just remember, though you’ll look like an absolute boss once you finish howler, it won’t actually unlock any content for you, so you must have stuff to do that you enjoy in this game. Try to distract yourself and have fun, go back to the basics until you get the buy order fulfilled. It’ll happen, and once it’s done you’ll still have to find something to do to have fun while you’re looking so snazy anyway.

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

Hahaha yeah thats true. Basically WvW with my guild is my primary source of fun in this game. I really need a break from PvE for a little while though, and I plan on grinding out the champion phantom title from pvp, so that should be fun!

Other than that, since I’m probably not going to make another legendary anytime soon, I’m going to finish buying T3 armor/cool dyes and weapon skins. Oh and I need to get an ascended axe, dagger, staff, focus and maybe scepter, since I took a long break from the game, came back in May, and hadn’t made any ascended weapons when they came out.

Also, another struggle for me is picking an axe skin and a dagger skin that goes well with howler. Since I’m sylvari I feel like the dreamthistle axe would work okay, but I feel like the fractal axe (for the extra fogginess) or the tequatl axe skin would look a bit better, but those aren’t really skins you can farm for.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

How’s about the Mistforge skins?

After all, keep calm and waiting. You’re almost there. Good luck!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

How’s about the Mistforge skins?

After all, keep calm and waiting. You’re almost there. Good luck!

Thanks Iris!

And yeah the mistforge skins seem like a pretty solid idea, so hopefully they’ll release more ways to get tickets, since I couldn’t finish the achievements in time to get them I’m afraid.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

If I were you I’d keep doing dungeons, and not just AC, SE 1&3, HotW 1, CE 2&3, CoF 1&2 all of these are easy when you know how, I pug them most days without a problem, if you ignore the fact that no one carries the banners.

The truth is, thanks to grinders it will likely get more and more expensive, I remember when I drop the Tooth of Frostfang I sold it for 350 gold thinking the price might drop thanks to precursor crafting, now a days it’s about 800 gold.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

If I were you I’d keep doing dungeons, and not just AC, SE 1&3, HotW 1, CE 2&3, CoF 1&2 all of these are easy when you know how, I pug them most days without a problem, if you ignore the fact that no one carries the banners.

The truth is, thanks to grinders it will likely get more and more expensive, I remember when I drop the Tooth of Frostfang I sold it for 350 gold thinking the price might drop thanks to precursor crafting, now a days it’s about 800 gold.

Yeah I would, but I’m kind of too burnt out to do PvE at the moment. I raised my buy order for the thing to 480 gold with the help of guildmate who loaned me the extra bit I needed to get there, and go figure, theres now like 4 buy orders above that, and every time I raise my order, I feel like I’m only the top buyer for an hour, and then someone overcuts me, either by 1 lousy copper or buy 5 gold. Its so maddening and frustrating and I feel like I’m the only buyer that keeps losing out, especially since the sell orders were cheaper than the current buy orders during all of may, but on june 7th the price spiked to where it is now.

I won’t be able to actually log in again until sunday, so hopefully by then I finally have it so this frustrating stupidity with the TP can finally end. And so I can look mad snazzy.

If I ever get a precursor to drop, I’m either going to sell it cheap to a friend or sell it to a slightly lower buy order, because I know how frustrating waiting like this is, especially when the 3 legendary gifts are just rotting in your bank.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

proviticus.4183

good luck nearlight! I hope you have it by sunday, as I hate to imagine your frustrations. But, unfortunately you won’t be able to sell to a lower buyer, the TP won’t let you do that (which is good, otherwise it could be used for money laundering).

I’m pulling for you!

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

good luck nearlight! I hope you have it by sunday, as I hate to imagine your frustrations. But, unfortunately you won’t be able to sell to a lower buyer, the TP won’t let you do that (which is good, otherwise it could be used for money laundering).

I’m pulling for you!

Hahaha thanks for all of the support. I’m glad all my hard work and effort is finally paying off! I know I’ll get it soon enough. And awe that sucks. Hopefully if a precursor drops I could just sell it cheap to a guildmate that was working on it then.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

How to be Patient?

Posted by: longshot.1397

longshot.1397

Heres one for ya… I have everything needed except the precursor. I could buy it but im waiting on craft precursors in the hope new legendaries are in the mix. Patience is waiting for this..

good luck on your quest tho.

How to be Patient?

nearlight.3064

And as of a few hours ago, my buy order was fulfilled! I checked spidy a few times a day since I’m away right now and the max buy price dipped below my order for it! So tomorrow when I get home I shall throw it in the forge and complete the journey at last.

Anyway thanks for your support and advice everyone. Being patient and working for a fairly long time on this project was a challenge, but I’m glad I stuck with it since it finally payed off

While I’m a bit conflicted that it’s price has gone up by so much, I realize that it doesn’t matter anymore, since it’s not like any of this money is real hahaha.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..