How to choose a World--help?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jesse Dylan.4306

Jesse Dylan.4306

Any hints on how to choose a server? I need a US server, and I’d prefer one that uses Central time (the one I’m on now is two hours behind me).

I’m not fussed about whether the server is good at WvW and stuff. That’s fine and all, but I’m more interested in just finding a world with lots of friendly people.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

I recently transferred to Tarnished Coast, the unofficial RP server. I don’t RP and I’m also on Central time, but so far I’ve found the community to be extremely mature and pleasant. Queensdale (the human beginner area) in particular is very active, and though the higher maps tend to be quieter, I’ve still run across a good number of players while just wandering around.

The problem with Tarnished Coast is landing a spot on it- it’s often full. However, this status doesn’t reflect the number of accounts made on that world, but the number of people currently playing. If you can log in during the quieter hours, there’s a chance the server will just be high instead of full, and you’ll be able to join.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Jesse Dylan.4306

Jesse Dylan.4306

That sounds nice to me! Did I understand you correctly that you and the Tarnished Coast are both Central time, or is it just you and not the server?

I get up really early, so I’m not above joining a “full” world early in the morning when it’s got a few slots open.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Hmm, right now, the server time is 7:24 PM. Seeing that it’s also full right now, though, I’d say there are a good number of people playing from, or into, Central time.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

All NA servers use PST.

It doesn’t matter, people from all timezones are on NA servers, even people from other countries. The difference between servers is going to be the community, whether or not it’s WvW focused, PVE focused, RP focused, and such.

Even that changes from time to time as people use the free transfer feature. You’ll probably get people selling their server to you (hi TC!), but in the meantime you could check the guilds subforum at the bottom of the forum listing and see what kinds of guilds are listed for certain servers to see what kind of focus it probably has.

Sea of Sorrows is great, by the way. It’s populated pretty much all the time since it has both NA and Oceanic people.

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast