How to disable email IP blocking?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I travel a lot and frankly, having my logins blocked because I’ve changed IP’s has become annoying. I’ll risk someone cracking my uncrackable password rather than have to “allow” myself to login to my own account by reading an email to myself and replying.

I’ve gotten to MY Account and attempted to find where to disable it, but might be blind, as it’s not obvious how. I can find all sorts of ways to get rid of IP’s I’ve already allowed, which I do not want to do. I can find where I can add even more hoops to jump through to get logged in on the road, but I want one less hoop.

How do I stop the blocking process completely? I don’t mind someone even saying “it’s easy if you just open your eyes”, just tell me how.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Have you selected to remember the new network after your IP got changed?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147576-E-mail-Authentication

Michael.9403

Have you selected to remember the new network after your IP got changed?

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147576-E-mail-Authentication

Yes. I’m not failing to get logged in.

Your link tells me what to do if I’m refused login, or to save each new place. I.e. find an email in my email list that asks if I really want to and check remember if I want it remembered. I know to do that. I’m tired of having to do it.

My IP changes every time I travel to a new place, which is a lot. The game may well log every place I’ve logged in from, but what I want is to NOT have to reply to an email to get logged in at the next different IP.

I signed up for that feature when I first joined the game and did not know any better. I did not know what aggravation it is for a traveler, and now I want to stop the feature. That is the question in my OP.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That happen to me tonight as well. Eating alone in a restaurant with free wifi and went to check the forums and wham, need validation and the email the game is registered to isn’t one of the passwords I remember or isn’t on my tablet.

But since the forum and game logins are identical and both go through the same validation process, it’s going to check approved IP adresses. So either remember to go to the account section and invalidate the addresses when you get home or get use to read only the forums.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I use the mobile thing as it’s easier than the email. I don’t think there is a way to undo the email validation.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I contacted player support and asked them to remove it because I’m on a dynamic IP and it got annoying to validate every time I wanted to log in. After some security questions they did it for me with no hassle

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Funny thing is that it is not activated on new accounts, and you must activate
it manually, but no way back.

Just noted that on my new second accound, when i used my VPN.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Michael.9403

Funny thing is that it is not activated on new accounts, and you must activate
it manually, but no way back.

Just noted that on my new second account, when i used my VPN.

Fortunately, that is the case that it’s not on new accounts. I got an account for my daughter who is half a continent away. She had trouble with the opening quest, and it’s difficult to help when you can’t see the screen and she’s not really able to describe what is happening. She really needed a lesson in game mechanics prior to jumping in. Eventually I decided to just log in her character and get her into the outside world by doing the quest. However, the thought of the email hassle if I did it, then the possibility she could not get back in after if I succeeded held me off a day. Finally I got her ready to find the email and hit allow, logged in, and found no blocking on her account. Made me doubly determined to get rid of it on mine.

Michael.9403

I contacted player support and asked them to remove it because I’m on a dynamic IP and it got annoying to validate every time I wanted to log in. After some security questions they did it for me with no hassle

This is the answer I was looking for. It means there is no method hidden somewhere on My Account that I can just uncheck and be done with it, that I was somehow blind to.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This is the answer I was looking for. It means there is no method hidden somewhere on My Account that I can just uncheck and be done with it, that I was somehow blind to.

You need to realize just how dangerous this is….you will regret avoiding the “hastle” when your account gets hacked from overseas and your actions made it easier for the hacker.

If you have a smartphone, enable 2 step authentication with Google Authenticator. It’s really not that big a hassle (and is more secure than email authentication, since your email is susceptible to being hacked too).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m a Luddite and don’t own a smartphone.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I only have a dumbphone

Or is it called stupidphone ? You know these things that still need cables to work o.O

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The only way to disable email authentication is to add mobile authentication (which everyone should do if possible).

Server: Devona’s Rest