How to do non-PvP tasks in WvW maps

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Nylana Greymoon.9576

Nylana Greymoon.9576

Last night I tried to do the Jumping Puzzle in Borderlands. There was a group of people that seemed to be camping on it because as soon as I went it, they attacked. I tried going in with no armor equipped, waving hi, tried to /say that I was just there to try to do the puzzle, please let me be, but they never responded (so I have no idea if they even knew English) and just kept killing me every time I tried to go.

I did ask on the /team channel for any suggestions, but other than those things I tried (and one response from someone who said to either help kill or stop talking on the /team channel), no one had any good suggestions.

After 6 times, I gave up and went back to exploring PvE.

So I’m looking for suggestions in how to finish my exploration and puzzles?

Casual player, not into PvP

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Go right when the new WvW match pops, or wait until off-peak hours. Or find out if your server has any guild that does it regularly to stock up on blueprints.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Nylana Greymoon.9576

Can you explain what a “new WvW match pops” is? Thank you.

Posted by: Revan.6259

Revan.6259

Can you explain what a “new WvW match pops” is? Thank you.

Every friday evening (Around 4 or 5 PST, I think) the WvW matches reset, and new match ups are made. That is what he was referring to – because no one will be able to be camping the puzzle yet.

Nylana Greymoon.9576

Ah! Thanks. I didn’t know that, could help. Could be fun if that time becomes standard and we get dozens of people running in to do the puzzle at the same time.

Revan.6259

Unless some of those people are jerks who want to slaughter as many Jumping Puzzlers as they can before some of them fight back

Posted by: synch.2980

synch.2980

Just a note; The other teams in WvW maps can’t see your chat at all – so regardless of their linguistics skills or attitudes, they didn’t even get to read your plea for tolerance.

The jumping puzzles in WvW maps are part of the PvP experience there; some folks like the smaller-scale PvP that happens, or just like hiding (invisible) and ambushing folks. While I’ve seen truces in the puzzles, it’s not the default to “let people be” in there.

There are fountains (at least, in the eternal battlegrounds puzzle) that give you invisibility for several minutes, as long as you’re not engaging in combat. Check the wiki for how to find them. That can help you avoid other players, if you can get there…

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Last night I tried to do the Jumping Puzzle in Borderlands. There was a group of people that seemed to be camping on it because as soon as I went it, they attacked. I tried going in with no armor equipped, waving hi, tried to /say that I was just there to try to do the puzzle, please let me be, but they never responded (so I have no idea if they even knew English) and just kept killing me every time I tried to go.

I did ask on the /team channel for any suggestions, but other than those things I tried (and one response from someone who said to either help kill or stop talking on the /team channel), no one had any good suggestions.

After 6 times, I gave up and went back to exploring PvE.

So I’m looking for suggestions in how to finish my exploration and puzzles?

Just to correct you. There is no exploration POI or JP achievement for the Borderlands puzzle area. But if you want to do it for self-acknowledgement, and badges, sure.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Nylana Greymoon.9576

Re: ArcTheFallen: According to the wiki at http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_completion it says you have to complete the WvW maps to get 100% world completion. And at http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistwrought_Vault it shows an achievement for getting the jumping puzzle in the Borderlands. Did they change that since the wiki was done?

Revan.6259

Re: ArcTheFallen: According to the wiki at http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_completion it says you have to complete the WvW maps to get 100% world completion.

But his point is, there’s no POI, vista, skill point, or heart in the JP. you don’t need to do the WvW jumping puzzles for 100% world completion

Nylana Greymoon.9576

Ah, Thanks, I misunderstood.

The main reason to do the JP is to get the Badges of Honor. Looks like the easiest way to obtain them is finishing maps in WvW (10 for each map) and doing the Jumping Puzzles in each map. But since you need 500 of them (for a Legendary Weapon), would probably have to do the Jumping Puzzle a lot to get enough.

(edited by Nylana Greymoon.9576)

Revan.6259

Ah, Thanks, I misunderstood.

The main reason to do the JP is to get the Badges of Honor. Looks like the easiest way to obtain them is finishing maps in WvW (10 for each map) and doing the Jumping Puzzles in each map. But since you need 500 of them (for a Legendary Weapon), would probably have to do the Jumping Puzzle a lot to get enough.

Definitely. IF you do the EB puzzle, and you’re a level 80, you get around 15-20 badges per run. So, doing the math (worst case scenario):

40 from map completion (10 from each of the maps)
15 from JP

You’d have to do the EB jumping puzzle 31 times to get all 500 badges.

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Also, you can try to invite the enemy server players to your party. Because you can still do that in wuvwuv. I had someone from another server do that to me at a JP. In party chat, he was all, “I’m standing guard for my friend while he does this JP and to extend a truce.”

I was like.. oh. Okay. Then I started the JP and 3 other people from the same server jumped me partway through. I WP’d back and started zerging for badges. Because no matter what, you’re going to have campers. And it’s suuuuper frustrating when all you’re trying to do is the JP.