How to get "better"?

How to get "better"?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Chandelier.3567

Chandelier.3567

Hey, everyone. So I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and just decided I’d come out and ask you guys for some help. So recently I’ve been seriously wanting to improve my gaming abilities. Let me just say that before now, I’ve been an extremely casual player. I tried my hand at WoW for a month or two, but I don’t know, I’ve never been a very serious gamer and eventually I fell out of it. Also, that was a long time ago so I remember pretty much nothing, lol. Besides that, my gaming history consists of a few free-to-play games here and there. Again, nothing serious. Nothing I put too much thought or energy into, really. Nothing I really ever bothered getting to KNOW, if you know what I mean?

However, I have always had the desire to take things maybe a bit more seriously. I don’t think I could ever become uh, “hardcore”, but I like the thought of trying harder and getting better. Except I don’t really know where to start? Obviously I know I should get myself to level 80, and I am working on that (currently a level 38 Ele with a few alts.) And I know I should practice and figure things out like that, but I was just wondering, does anyone have any tips on how to go from being an extremely casual player to a, I don’t know, semi-hardcore player?

I would like to get into PVP and things too sometime. Try my hand at WvW and dungeons. I just don’t want to be a hindrance to team members/guildies and things. I want to be able to hold my own and really know my character and how to use them. I don’t know if any of this long post has made much sense, but I hope you’ve at least gotten the basic gist of what it is I’m asking.

So uh, any tips?

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Wagwanimal.6479

Wagwanimal.6479

really, the only way to get better is to get experience + knowledge of games.

long story short, play the game.

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Kyma Grey.9410

Kyma Grey.9410

Like with anything – else pretty much, to get better you need :

Practise and more Practise. :)

Focus on Wv3 for a week only, get to know the commanders and other players of your server. Join a small squad or Zerg and complete objectives.

At the end, everyone needs to prioritize on certain aspects and then try to emphasize them. Build creation, discussions about builds, tactics for Wv3, for PvP and for Dungeon runs all this will make you more expierenced and a better player over all.

And all that, while helping others :)

Believe it or not : Never did any PvP in GW2 until today, when i joined/did The Rumble-Mini-PvP Game, 25 kills so far.

{sfme}

Darkroom JP Annoyance http://is.gd/erW1Ov
AMD 13.×.beta4 Test http://is.gd/mRomyO

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Like with anything – else pretty much, to get better you need :
Practise and more Practise.

Exactly this. I consider myself semi-hardcore. I don’t get too uptight about games, but I’m pretty serious about being solidly above average

Some things I recommend in general:

• Stick to one profession/character and really learn about all the things you can do with it.
  • Focus on one thing you want to improve. If you want to be a great team player in dungeons, practice running dungeons.
  • Challenge yourself – go see if you can solo that champion. You can’t get better unless you push yourself a bit. PvP is also a great way to flex your skills.
  • Have a plan for your character, so you know what you’re looking for in skills/traits/gear. Answer two questions for yourself – How am I going to survive? and How am I going to do damage? Then ask yourself how you can fit helping allies into your plan.

Some things specifically for GW2:

• Learn about Combos
  • Go to the Heart of the Mists lobby using the PvP button on your toolbar, build your character according to your plan, and use the practice areas to see how it works and get used to your skills. It’s a great way to try out a skill without blowing skill points on it.
Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Chandelier.3567

Chandelier.3567

Thanks everyone for responding! I pretty much figured that I would just need to practice and play the game. No magical potion or anything that will make you instantly better, unfortunately, lol.

But seriously, thanks. I know I should start trying my hand at PVP, but I’m so worried that I’m just basically going to get one shotted right away, lol. I guess even that might bring about its own lesson though. I’ll just have to jump right into it and see what I can learn.

How to get "better"?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

To add to the above. not only find out what you want to be good at, but also join a guild that is good at that aspect of the game. make sure they understand that you have to learn a lot but that you are willing to learn. Also make sure they have a voice over IP program. Nothing beats explaining things then being able to talk to someone.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Madtavish.9037

Madtavish.9037

“A route to success is paved by failure.”
“Fall down seven, get up eight”

“No matter how wonderful or wierd the weapon, what matters, it the man behind it.”

How to get "better"?

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Everyone works differently, so what improves Player A’s skills may not work for improving Player B’s skills.

That said, for me, personally, the best practice was sPvP to improve my solo skills (knowledge of my profession and skills, strength and weaknesses), and Dungeons to improve my group skills (combos, positioning with other players, tactics).

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.