How to unn00b.

How to unn00b.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Transcendant.6571

Transcendant.6571

Level 12 ranger.

So I run around, mash my keys, currently using broadword, and mostly find battles and events confusing, especially when other people are around. When I get wtfpwned I have no idea what happened and how to avoid it.

What should I do to figure out the combat system?

How to unn00b.

Posted by: skonietz.9418

skonietz.9418

My source of information for stuff like that is Youtube

How to unn00b.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

As I see it, you have two options. Either just play the game as you are and watch what happens when you use certain powers and read up on things on the internet, or get yourself into a guild that has players willing to take the time to explain what’s going on.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

How to unn00b.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

step 1 – stop mashing keys
step 2 – read the skill descriptions
step 3 – pay attention to what the enemies are doing
step 4 – pay attention to what other people are doing
step 5 – check the wiki

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

How to unn00b.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Level 12 ranger.

So I run around, mash my keys, currently using broadword, and mostly find battles and events confusing, especially when other people are around. When I get wtfpwned I have no idea what happened and how to avoid it.

What should I do to figure out the combat system?

Here are a few general rules of thumb regarding GW2’s combat system:
-Move constantly in battle.
-Watch your enemy closely and dodge big attacks (usually accompanied by a change in stance or glowing).
-Don’t spam your attacks- use them actively to counter enemy actions. For example, as a greatsword ranger, you would use skill 4 to block and counter a major attack, or block a barrage of projectiles. If an enemy attempts to charge an attack, you can interrupt it with 5. You can use 3 through combo fields for additional effects, or with autotargeting off, use it to put distance between yourself and an enemy if you are weakened.
-It is much more important to avoid damage than to heal it

Guardian fighting a champion with several other people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Z2LO-cLTg
Elementalist versus a champion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcf9PwSVP7Y
Level 12 elementalist soloing a level 16 veteran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubm6k-AX2U8

I would suggest that, as a ranger, you set your pet to avoid combat and practice fighting enemies head-on. Pets will usually take aggro from enemies when they attack, which prevents many new players who rolled ranger from learning how to survive on their own in harder situations, when enemies kill pets quickly or ignore them.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

How to unn00b.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

use the dodge key!
save skills for important opportunities (interrupt them when they are about to attack, dont use your main dps ability when they go invisible/evade, knock them back if you’re about to die, …)
use your dodge key!
try other weapons. they all have different play styles, you might like one more than the others.
use your dodge key!
pay attention to the enemy’s level, update your gear periodically, sell things you don’t need (you’ll be able to get it again later if you change your mind)
dodge key. important. save it, use it when they do a big swing. people I know that have a fear of dodging die at least once per engagement – this is not necessary.

How to unn00b.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I play a warrior as my main and I really learned the most from reading the forum on warriors. Experience helps, too. After a while you learn what all the bad guys do, so it’s easier to avoid getting hit. I agree with others that you need to read the descriptions of the attacks of your weapons. Also try to sort out your skills and do change them as needed. Move. Dodge. Practice on lower levels and the same types of bad guys until you know what to do. Have fun!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

How to unn00b.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

step 1 – stop mashing keys
step 2 – read the skill descriptions
step 3 – pay attention to what the enemies are doing
step 4 – pay attention to what other people are doing
step 5 – check the wiki

all of the above as well as Learn to dodge . There are no healers in this game so you’re on your own when it comes to healing

How to unn00b.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

It’s also my experience that it’s wise to learn how to use a melee weapon set as well as a ranged weapon. You need to switch or rotate based on what you’re fighting. For instance you really want range to fight trolls but can use melee weapons for bandits, etc.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)