I can't decide between a Ranger or Warrior.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

I’ve decided to tryout another profession, my main currently was a guardian, but I decided to try something new since it was getting a bit old. I do enjoy classes that I can play both offensive and defensive, and also melee and ranged. I thought the warrior and ranger fit this pretty good. Can someone tell me about each class and what are the pros and cons of each class? I also would like to know which race fits better for the class, I mainly like the norn and human, and which personal story is better?

(edited by Lytro.9305)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I have both classes and I’ll choose Ranger simply because GW2 is already overflowing with Warriors. I use my Ranger more than my Warrior except when running dungeons.
Just look up Brazil’s guide for Ranger if you need help on the build…

Ooookay for stereotypes between 2 classes:

Warrior
-Overpowered on PvE.
-Most wanted class on dungeons.
-Do I need say more? lol

Ranger
-OK on PvE
-Not so wanted on dungeons.
-Very little variety on clothes. (Medium tends to use trenchcoat 90% of the time so…)
-Horrible pet AI. Since your damage is split between you and the pet, if pet dies or simply is not in combat, DPS (biggest factor in-game PvE wise) suffers. People will hate you. lol
-Great range. Traited LB is around 1500 range.
-Good for farming mats. Just make pet take aggro and farm away
-Good for farming champs on Queensdale/Frostgorge
-Decent number of dodge (if you have Sword/Dagger)

Cannot answer on personal story since I only play Human…

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Warrior concentrates all its dps and tanking abilities onto itself, ranger splits it between itself and the pets. Generally, because of crap AI, the ranger has a lower total dps. Against mobs, the ranger is a better tank. Overall, the ranger is a better healer.

Against players the ranger is kind of weak because most players will focus-fire down the ranger and ignore the pet, unlike mobs. While this is mitigated somewhat by using a tankier main build and using a more dps-oriented pet, it generally isn’t as good as a warrior would be.

Frankly having both, the warrior has more advantages than disadvantages relative to the ranger. The most viable build for the ranger at present overall is a tank/support one, which only really works in WvW/sPvP due to the current lack of difficulty in PvE.

Its an inherent flaw in the idea of balancing WvW, sPvP and PvE using a single balance, which is mainly aimed at sPvP. Activities that deviate significantly from sPvP result in really bad class balance issues.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

The easy part:
ranger: norn or human
warrior: charr or norn

I play PvE only…

Been playing a ranger since launch, and just got a charr warrior to lvl 31. I did this mainly to complete the charr story line and going to delete this toon because I do not like the charr animations and the profession is just too boring for me.

Rangers are great to solo open world, harvest mats and run champ trains, but go with full berserker stats, concentrate on stacking might, and use high DPS pets (cats). Sword/xxx traited properly is your best DPS weapon, bows are just too weak. After playing a guardian, the ranger greatsword is a wet noodle. Also, axe off-hand is very nice.

Sword takes a bit of getting used to, so there is a learning curve with the weapon, but well worth it. You become highly mobile and need to be aware of your surroundings so you don’t launch yourself off a cliff or into something you are trying to evade.

I run the Frostgorge champ train a lot, using sword/warhorn and get steady 2k dmg and with a good might stack and flanking, I can get up to 5-6k dmg on the champ kodan and norn. This does not include the damage the pet does as well.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Warriooooooorrrrrrrr .. roar …

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ranger is one of the hardest classes to play while warrior is one of the easiest. Both are equally good in PvE when played well. Unfortunately since no one wants to deal with bad players screwing up constantly on a hard class, most people opt to exclude rangers and take warriors instead, where the same bad players at least hopefully won’t die.

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Well for PVE lets be honest, it is easy no matter what you play. I have both at 80 and warriors are currently op’ed and simple in all aspects of the game.

that is 100% fine if you like or want that (nothing wrong with playing something if you enjoy that style).

that said, I play my ranger the most because it is the most fun and again PvE it is all really easy.

WvW, the ranger has a ton more issues but I still enjoy it on the ranger

That one person.