I can't find a class I like.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: PocketMafia.9314

PocketMafia.9314

I have spent 20+ hours re-rolling another class and leveling up and changing it. I finally thought I was good with Thief’s until I realized you need to actually have skill to PVE with Thief. (Never played GW). So, my question is, what class is for me?

I want

-Easy PvE.
-FUN

Those are the things I care about the most. Using an Asura btw

All answers are appreciated !

The 2 secrets to success: 1. Never reveal everything you know.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Honestly, I’d suggest a Guardian. They can be fairly hard to kill, do decent damage, and they don’t look half-bad doing it. The only downside to them is they don’t do so well in ranged combat, compared to some of the other classes. (Most of the others, tbh.)

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

Warrior best PvE class IMO.

PocketMafia.9314

I heard Guardian is boring though. Don’t you think Warrior is like a better version of Guardian? Warriors do more damage and have access to ranged weapons.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Go engineer

engineer is top tier

best in pve

best in pvp

what can go wrong?

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Warrior’s do more damage, and do have ‘better’ ranged weapons, (Guardians can do ranged damage, just not as much as other classes), but they aren’t nearly as hard to kill as a Guardian is, and I personally find my Guardian a lot more fun then my Warrior.

That said, try both, you might enjoy both classes, or neither. tbh If you’ve spent 20+ hours re-rolling classes I’d have thought you’d have tried the two ‘Soldier’ classes by now.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Classes I didn’t enjoy in PvE: Mesmer, Elementalist

Classes that were Meh in PvE: Necro, Guardian, ranger

Classes I loved in PvE: Warrior, Engineer, thief.

PocketMafia.9314

I haven’t touched Guardian or Warrior or Ele.

Tried Engineer, Mesmer, Thief, Necro, Ranger to around level 5-15.

I really need a fun and good pve class, that’s why I am using Asura (fun class)

Flamenco.3894

Asura is the worst of the worst

Try charr warrior, it’s something rare

sostronk.8167

I think Asurans look cool. But try the human areas, I thought they were well done.

PocketMafia.9314

I am torn up between Engineer, Warrior and Guardian. ugh.

Flamenco.3894

Guardian is boring as hell. It’s a slowpoke wammo. Something like the warrior/monk in GW1 but a lot worse. Also it might as well have had meteor shower as an elite skill.

Engineer is good in sPvP, average in PvE.

Warrior is good in everything. Warrior gives you a god-status. Warriors are gods. Warriors can equip a lot of weapons and are basically gods.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

go warrior. is the most strait-forward class.
you can also take it to limits you can go full DPS, or full bunker and be just fine.

Flamenco.3894

You forgot to mention that warrior are gods. Warriors can use
-bow
-rifle
-sword (dual)
-shield
-axe (dual)
-mace (dual)
-greatsword
-hammer
-warhorn
-spear and harpoon gun.

Also warriors are gods. Warriors deal quite some damage at lower levels compared to other classes. Warriors are gods.

PocketMafia.9314

That is what confuses me like honestly Warriors can do anything, why in the world don’t they get a nerf?

Rifter.6591

That is what confuses me like honestly Warriors can do anything, why in the world don’t they get a nerf?

Yeah go play a warrior in PvP and then tell me they can do anything with a straight face.

sostronk.8167

Yeah go play a warrior in PvP and then tell me they can do anything with a straight face.

I actually think they are the most overpowered class in WvW. But Im one of very few.

Rifter.6591

I actually think they are the most overpowered class in WvW. But Im one of very few.

Im going to assume you are trolling here because i cant find a reason why you would think that unless you have never played another class and just dont know.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Perhaps you should consider specifying a bit more what you find as fun. Is there something stylistic that you’ve liked in past games?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Flamenco.3894

Warriors aren’t that good in PvP is because warriors are a straight-forward class, relying on close-quarters combat and knockdowns. They are like brutes.

Other classes have the brains, they are intricate and that’s why they excel.

sostronk.8167

Im going to assume you are trolling here because i cant find a reason why you would think that unless you have never played another class and just dont know.

Nah I play all classes. I have 8×80s with full exotic/ascended kits.

PocketMafia.9314

Things I consider fun:

Not repetitive.
Not dying over and over to a group of 5 mobs. (Thief)
Challenge, to keep things fresh.

Flamenco.3894

Warriors can take some load, not the full load though. You can change weapons if you get bored with one.
The challenge is to steamroll through PvE as fast and effective as possible.

PocketMafia.9314

I am rolling an Asura Warrior. Hopefully this will be the one I play to lvl 80

Thanks for all the answers!

P.S : Why were there so much hate on Asura?

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Things I consider fun:

Not repetitive.

Well, I can only say that since I don’t have experience with engineer, both Warrior and Guardian will satisfy the durability issue assuming you build yourself right and use your defensive abilities correctly.
Repetitiveness comes down to perception. You unlock all your utilities and elites by lvl 30, you’ll probably have all your weapon skills unlocked before level ten if you make sure to pick up a weapon of each type.
Challenge comes down again to a personal level. Only you can figure out what you consider challenging.

By stylistic, I mean, did you play a pally in WoW? Did you play a dark knight in FFXI? Did you play a Mystic in Tera? What did you like and dislike about the classes you’ve played before in games?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: LtTiger.4568

LtTiger.4568

A class I find fun and easy to play, can be a pain in the a** for you.. So you really have to try the classes and figure out what is for you..

Rifter.6591

I dunno, i love my asura memsmer.

Good call on the warrior.

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

I have spent 20+ hours re-rolling another class and leveling up and changing it. I finally thought I was good with Thief’s until I realized you need to actually have skill to PVE with Thief. (Never played GW). So, my question is, what class is for me?

I want

-Easy PvE.
-FUN

Still haven’t found my class either. Have ele, warrior, and necro at 80 and mesmer and guardian in their 60’s. My ele is really fun in open world but cannot survive a swarm of at level mobs. My warrior can’t do enough damage, but that’s probably because my spec is too defensive. My necro works most of the time, but I still haven’t mastered all the tools in the toolbox for tough fights.

Getting the balance right between dps and defense (and utility, but that’s less important soloing) is a real challenge in this game. Another challenge is learning to move to avoid (notice I don’t call it dodge or evade) damage in combat. Surviving 5 at level mobs including a veteran or two means turning the knob a notch or two toward defense, heading for that 1900-2000 toughness at lvl 80, etc…but that might not be the right spec for running a 5 player dungeon.

good luck and have fun

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Warrior best PvE class IMO.

OP said “Fun” as well.

I suggest Ele/Ranger

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Short cute things in most MMOs get some “hate”. It’s all the tall football players that have gotten ankle and knee injuries from things they can’t see.

There is nothing funnier than seeing an Asura warrior leap up like a sugar-rushed toddler and spin a slicing sword of death in some mob’s face, dangling feet kicking, three-feet in mid air. Unless it’s the one wielding an axe in their off-hand, acting woozy after the aoe storm!

As far as fun, keep experimenting. It’s pretty easy to level in this game, and by level 10 or 20 you can get a feel for whether it’s going to work for you. Check out the profession boards here, and keep trying. The gameplay is worth it.

I’m 4 levels from my 7th 80 out of (now) 36 alts. I love the gameplay, I’m still looking for my “ideal” profession.

I’d LOVE a mage /warrior in heavy armor. Took me 13 years and 7 games to find the class I absolutely loved (DK in WoW). I’m hoping GW2 is my permanent gaming home, so here’s my +1 to the suggestion for adding one at some point.

Back to you:

Warrior is a fun class to play ( I have 4 – 2 of them at 80 with different weapon combos/builds). There are a lot of different ways to build one.. from support (including heals), to “tank”, to DPS. If you roll one, spend the time to test out ALL the weapons. This is really easy to do when you’re in the lowbie zone and weapons aren’t that expensive and you’re still learning the class.

The playstyle will be completely different depending on weapon and weapon combos.

ANet has said that guardian and warrior are the two “training” classes. They are very good for picking up and learning the game.

Like any good “weapon”, however, simple in the hands of a master can be deadly.

Here’s wishing you luck in your mastery! And do come back and tell us how it is going.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: WickedOTen.3219

WickedOTen.3219

I want

-Easy PvE.
-FUN

Things I consider fun:

Not repetitive.

i mean no offensive..but i chuckled a bit here. you dont want to die over n over to a grp of 5 mobs..then dont take on a group of five mobs. seems like ur contradicting yourself. you want easy pve yet a challenge. anyways..feels to me like u want a god mode. looks like u want a warrior. straight forward bullies. but anything in front of a warrior and WARRIOR SMASH!!!

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I think it’s important to note that playing a class to level 15 really doesn’t give you a good idea of how they will play at level 80. I’ve seen a few people comment about how boring and/or difficult they found Elementalists and Mesmers at low levels (and I can attest to the Ele) that have gone on to main the class at 80. I can also say, with brutal experience, that Necro’s and Rangers are great at low levels… but not so much later on.

If you are intent on playing a class to only a certain level before deleting and starting again, I insist that you play to at least 30 or 40 so that you have had a chance to try out most of the skills and invest something into the Traits.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Honestly Warrior is brain dead boring!

Sure they have nice pve stats, but lack the fun factor.

If by pve you mean solo roaming, your best option would be ranger! It’s fun and you never feel alone (loyal pets follow you). And it’s really easy and fast to do pve stuff. Rangers do also pretty good in dungeons and fractals, but if those instances are a high priority, you should make a Guardian.

Generally 2 things that must be considered:

• A profession that I personally would consider fun?
  • Or a profession others would appreciate me bringing to the groups?

I chose what I like to do: Ranger :-)

Good luck

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I think it’s important to note that playing a class to level 15 really doesn’t give you a good idea of how they will play at level 80. I’ve seen a few people comment about how boring and/or difficult they found Elementalists and Mesmers at low levels (and I can attest to the Ele) that have gone on to main the class at 80. I can also say, with brutal experience, that Necro’s and Rangers are great at low levels… but not so much later on.

Yea a whole lot of alternatives to straight up DPS only becomes available beyond level 60 when the grandmaster traits unlock.

An acceptable design for SPVP, where everyone runs around as level 80 with exotics, but it severely distorts the impression of the game in PVE because of the number of hours i takes to get that tier unlocked.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

In open-world PvE, Ranger is fun and easy, all the way through the levels.
This is an important thing to consider.
A lot of the classes don’t really shine until they’ve got access to all of their traits.
Examples being Thief, Elementalist, Mesmer and Engineer.
When you get to 80 and get some decent gear, those classes are just as, if not more enjoyable as any other. But the experience getting there can be frustrating and boring.

The real issue is the grind from 60 to 80. Here you start encountering more Orrian content, which while better now than it was, is still not as fun as other content.
All the classes mentioned above, I’ve crafted from 60 to 80 as I couldn’t face levelling them in the same boring areas again. The only one I haven’t is Elementalist, as I find it quite tedious and not really fitting for my playstyle. But again, this might change at 80. I’ve no way to know before then.
Eighty levels was a really bad idea if you ask me. It stretches out the levelling process for far too long, and only a minority of content has been balanced for top level.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Darksanity.1690

Darksanity.1690

I’m going to be honest here.
Warrior is a really fun class to play, and can wield lots of weapons.
But heck, the only weapons a zerk warrior will wield is a Greatsword
or –
(one handed) + axe.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call warriors gods, as not 1 warrior has ever been able to beat my guardian. Including Full Zerk warriors spamming hundred blades hitting their supposed 20k damage which only turns out to be 6k of my 24k health.
I run a Soldier guardian, hitting 600-1k per hit (5k per greatsword spin) , hit you back 400 damage everytime you hit me, and at 24000 health and 3200 armour.
8 Condition removals per 20 seconds, and unlimited heals.

The Guardian , when built properly and played for days on end for consecutive months, is the true God.

Whiteside Ridge – Henry Dean

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Eighty levels was a really bad idea if you ask me. It stretches out the levelling process for far too long, and only a minority of content has been balanced for top level.

I wonder if the level range came about after designing the trait system and wondering about how the piecemeal it out. Again and again i feel that the game mechanics were built for SPVP, and was then shoehorned into PVE so they could sell it as a MMO.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

I want

-Easy PvE.
-FUN

In my opinion if you thought about playing the Thief from the start then stick with it, I get it that it ain’t easy from the start but give yourself a chanse to learn.
Don’t try to rush it at the start, read your skills multiple times so you are sure to know what they do.
Just take it easy and all will go well

Posted by: Sndhatch.6907

Sndhatch.6907

Asura thief is actually easy to 1vX mobs. Dual dagger, drop radiation field and caltrops, death blossom, 25 bleed and poison are on every mob in the aoe.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Warrior. It’s the universally accepted easiest class to play and deal lotsa damage with. Can use lots of weapons (including longbow).

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Warrior is probably the stongest PvE class right now. Guardian isn’t far behind it though. Both do similar sustained damage if spec’d for it, but a guardian will be destroyed spec’ing for damage and still won’t really beat a warrior’s damage because the guardian has so much less health.

Warrior and Guardian gameplay is very similar, it’s just the skill slots for warriors tend to be more utility oriented at doing damage where the guardian’s tends to be utility more for defense. I personally find a lot of the Warrior skills to be more fun, but the guardian ones are a bit more flashy.

Warriors are very poorly designed for competetive PvP mostly because they can get into combat well, but they can’t get out. Conditions are their bane. Their movement skills, unlike every other movement skill in the game, are affected by movement impairing effects (which is hopefully a bug and either everyone else will be nerfed [Rangers, Eles,etc.] or Warriors will be changed to work like RTL and Swoop).

Guardian on the other hand doesn’t do near the amount of burst a Warrior can, but does competetively similar sustained damage. Guardian defensive builds tend to be more functional than Warrior ones, but Warrior defensive builds still do more damage/burst than Guardian ones.

One can always hope that Bull’s Charge, Whirlwing, and Rush would all ignore movement impairing effects. That shout healing coefficients will be increased. That a tanking warrior could even begin to touch the lowest levels of what a guardian is capable of, but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for it. Just like you’d expect guardians to have a little more health and, when spec’d for it, to at least begin to touch the bottom levels of warrior potential damage. But, again, I wouldn’t hold out much hope.

You’ll have to decide if you want more straightforward gameplay with higher payoffs or more flashy gameplay with minimal real payoff. That’s ultimately the difference between the Warrior and Guardian.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I haven’t touched Guardian or Warrior or Ele.

Tried Engineer, Mesmer, Thief, Necro, Ranger to around level 5-15.

I really need a fun and good pve class, that’s why I am using Asura (fun class)

Tried mesmer? What weapons did you try? Greatsword is a lot of fun (for me) as well as sword/pistol. With different weapons even the same profession plays differently. Just remember to not simply use your skills. Slow down, take a look at them. They’ll often have secondary and even tertiary effects, or conditions when you want to use them or not. Great Sword 5 (GS5), for example, only use that if the enemy is close. GS4 phantasm is a great opener due to the cripple and nice damage. If you’re fairly close and use GS2 you’ll get the bounces to hit you and buff yourself. The profession gets even more fun once you start playing with traits. For example, one simple trait creates a clone when you dodge. Wait… did I say simple? It’ll change how you mesmer. I often dodge as an offensive means now and not only defensively.

Main hand sword can turn you into a melee mesmer. I’ve only recently started trying that, and it’s… well, flat out fun.

Also, don’t forget to shatter! Shatters are a great mesmer tool to do a variety of things, from inflict damage to spread AoE conditions, interrupt, make yourself invulnerable, then you can enhance them further with traits…

I recommend giving the mesmer another look. They’re really great fun. Just remember to look under the hood and take her out on the highway… a test drive around the block doesn’t come close to showing you what she’s capable of.

Oh, and don’t get me started on the fun you can have in WvW with a Focus offhand…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

I found Warriors boring when I tried them; Rangers are sometimes boring as well.

But if you’re looking for a class without much skill required, those are probably the ones. Or Guardian, though death comes swiftly and totally out of left field for them when they feel like an indestructable tank the rest of the time.

What I found is if I didn’t like a class, I switched weapons and tried a different style. If your only impression of Necromancers is with an axe, or your only impression of Elementalists is with a staff, it’s going to be disappointing.

Keep in mind also that most of the classes are a lot weaker and less interesting through the first few levels than they are after they have some traits. Sometimes you’ll hit a threshhold where a class goes from “sort of fun, I guess” to awesomesauce.

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

you need to actually have skill to PVE with every class, it’s a good part of the game and is very enjoyable. Just play around with your class to experiment with it until you find what you like.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Things I consider fun:

Not repetitive.

Thief fulfills 2/3 of those but that is only because every class is going to be repetitive if you play enough. You don’t have to go the stereotypical glass cannon route on the thief.

You should try out the classes in Heart of the Mists. Different trait combinations can make a big difference.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Seriously, it all depends on what you find fun.

For example, I really like my necro (scepeter/dagger and staff condition build) and ranger (shortbow) in PvE, they also suit my lazy playstile fairly well because they can be farily durable (high hp/dual hp bar, pets, …).
However, I do think they are relatively repetitive (also due to being really easy when played correctly).

Guardian bored me to death, and while warriors do have a nice damage output, I just don’t enjoy melee, and range is too slow on a warrior for my taste.

I’ve just started to really taky a liking to my newest mesmer alt – I’ve tried that particular profession several times before but it never really felt right, but this time, it just clicked. It also gives you several viable playstiles, very decent dd and condition damage, something to occupy mobs with (clones and phantasms), and stealth for emergency retreats. I can even take on a bunch of mobs+ a veteran if I do it properly…at around lvl 10. GS really works very well, mainhand sword can give you a challenge and, well, if you like watching your foes kill themselves, there’s always scepter

From what you describe, you might actually enjoy elementalist, too – except for the “dying to groups of mobs” thing ^^°

Polka will never die

(edited by Frotee.2634)

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I wonder if the level range came about after designing the trait system and wondering about how the piecemeal it out. Again and again i feel that the game mechanics were built for SPVP, and was then shoehorned into PVE so they could sell it as a MMO.

Nah, I really think that was a result of so many people shunning GW1 because ‘oh my god, only 20 levels, what am I to do of I reach max lvl that fast? O.O’ ~_~
Also, if you look at the size and scope of the world, you’ll have to realize that the ame was indeed built with both PvE and PvP in mind from the get-go. They did want to attract the masses this time after all…

Polka will never die

Posted by: Jaded.8591

Jaded.8591

I have an asuran warrior, i think they are pretty awesome for the bored, because there are several different builds you can work with.

dual swords/long bow for condition
greatsword for crit and i love the long bow so i do it with the great sword..

then you can be banner/shout/stance/signet/burst warrior. all classess have a variation, but the play style between all of these is so different(my only other 80 being a theif, which i KILL in PVE and rarely die). i find a burst warrior to be the most fun. although i started with condition. I had fun with that too but i felt i needed more umph.

Jaded

PocketMafia.9314

Thanks for all the replies guys! I rolled an Asura Warrior and it seems good so far. I like the variety of weapons I can use to keep the game feeling fresh. Again, thanks to everyone who put the time to respond, been great help

See you guys in the game, cheers!