I can't get over token farming

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: crismuno.4210

crismuno.4210

I like a lot the Noble Man’s Armor but seriously it’s a torture to obtain it. I really don’t get why Anet removed the exotic skin on low level but less-costly armor, and even than the price was extremely high for the whole set; now, it’s just impressive the amount of farm and the frustrating and boring farm you need to complete the whole set.

I met a guy today with a dungeon’s chest armor; he said he farmed the piece 4 days straight with 1 day of almost 11 hours playtrough.

This is totally insane, i tought that farm and grind wasnt there but it’s still here.
I would’ve preferred something like 3 run per piece.

I’m upset

(edited by crismuno.4210)

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Seriously… I’m tired of these posts about how hard it is to obtain everything with gold, tokens, karma.

Use some common sense. There are reasons why you need to grind/farm or play a lot to gain some of these things.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

If players could achieve all their hopes and dreams inside 3 runs, then guild wars 2 would have a shelf life of about a week.

This is an MMO. You’re in for the long haul.

And nobody says you have to grind 18 dungeons a day. Do it as it comes, a little here, a little there. Once you get it, you’ll know it’s worth something, because not everybody has it.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Eliam.2834

Eliam.2834

What Shaidyn said… What would be the point of purchasing Guild Wars 2 as an MMO if you could just receive all the best items within a short period of time… You would play it for a few days, complete everything there was to do and then be on here raging that there wasn’t “more content”… If you don’t feel up to the challenge of getting hard to obtain items… Don’t… Its that easy.

Posted by: Godseye.9641

Godseye.9641

You get a lot more pride when you get a rare item through persistence than if you bought it at a vendor. You also beam a little on the inside when someone else notices you wearing that rare item

crismuno.4210

for the 3rd run in a row, dungeon’s boss just dropped me 5 token for a total of 15 token for the entire run… all set cost 1380 tokens; 2 hours for 15 tokens is just insane, not an honorable achievement

If players could achieve all their hopes and dreams inside 3 runs, then guild wars 2 would have a shelf life of about a week.

And nobody says you have to grind 18 dungeons a day. Do it as it comes, a little here, a little there. Once you get it, you’ll know it’s worth something, because not everybody has it.

i said 3 run per piece and seriously i cant get what about 15 token for 2 hours of the same dungeon is funny.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

for the 3rd run in a row, dungeon’s boss just dropped me 5 token for a total of 15 token for the entire run… all set cost 1380 tokens; 2 hours for 15 tokens is just insane, not an honorable achievement

i said 3 run per piece and seriously i cant get what about 15 token for 2 hours of the same dungeon is funny.

As gear does not equal progression, there is no need to farm those, so you can simply do whatever you want without the game forcing you to get those tokens. So no need to make it cheaper, it does not keep you from playing ANY part of the game.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

I agree with the OP.
It’s way, way, WAY too much farming.
It’s. Not. Fun.
I bought this game thinking that farming was toned down compared to other mmorpgs, but it’s WAY worse. The amount of tokens required to get your stuff is insane, and I’d prefer doing other things, like WvW, instead of spending hours over hours doing the same mindless, boring chore inside a dungeon.

crismuno.4210

As gear does not equal progression, there is no need to farm those, so you can simply do whatever you want without the game forcing you to get those tokens. So no need to make it cheaper, it does not keep you from playing ANY part of the game.

It’s not about the WHOLE GAME, we are just talking about someone that want a dungeon’s armor because he likes it, i don’t care about the rest of the game ( which i love btw ), this is a specific topic. And the answer for the question " IF I WANT THAT ARMOR ? " is just " INSANE GRIND\FARM ".

They removed with the low-level-low-cost exotic skin my only choice of wearing an armor that i like and i still had to sweat to gain. That armor will be just inaccessible for me and for many others

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

These things are supposed to be long-term goals. They aren’t supposed to be obtained within a few days. You don’t HAVE to spend 12 hours a day farming. Play normally, play when you feel like, play for fun, and if one day you have enough tokens then get a reward. It’s not bad design just because YOU want it all NOW but cannot have it.

crismuno.4210

These things are supposed to be long-term goals. They aren’t supposed to be obtained within a few days. You don’t HAVE to spend 12 hours a day farming. Play normally, play when you feel like, play for fun, and if one day you have enough tokens then get a reward. It’s not bad design just because YOU want it all NOW but cannot have it.

Chill first of all and read better, no one is talking about " ME " pretending " hic et nunc " policy.
One day you wont have enough tokens because you can just gain tokens farming over and over again the same dungeon. And here no one is talking about non-long terms, i’m just upset for their decision to high even more the token prices, and before this the armor was far from being short-term.
Read and understand what i’m trying to say

Posted by: Elshagan.6342

Elshagan.6342

I agree with the OP.
It’s way, way, WAY too much farming.
It’s. Not. Fun.
I bought this game thinking that farming was toned down compared to other mmorpgs, but it’s WAY worse. The amount of tokens required to get your stuff is insane, and I’d prefer doing other things, like WvW, instead of spending hours over hours doing the same mindless, boring chore inside a dungeon.

Ignorance might be a bliss for for some but you my friend need to learn.

There’s special WvW tokens you get for killing people… Rarely I might add now that is a farm. Now go n do your WvW in whatever gear you have until you’ve farmed for those 300+ tokens for 1 piece of gear in WvW which you so much seem to enjoy. ^^

Ezrael Curzeblood: 80 Necro
Januk Monkeydoodle: 80 Engi
Knowledge is your friend: 1 of every class for sPvP except Ele.

Posted by: KaraMong.2715

KaraMong.2715

I partially agree with OP, they cost too much, imho.
I know that those armor are meant to be rare and must be worth the farm, but 1300Tokens for all pieces is just too much. 800 would be a fair number, farm but not endless.

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

What Shaidyn said… What would be the point of purchasing Guild Wars 2 as an MMO if you could just receive all the best items within a short period of time…

Because they aren’t “the best items”, but more or less just skins, which are personal preference.

If somebody likes the HoM armor the most, he can have it at level 1 until forever (given he has it unlocked), so after your logic, the game is already over for him because he has the “best” armor (the skin he likes the most) right away.

If you like a certain dungeon set the most on the other hand (or the cultural Tier 3), you are completely screwed.

They aren’t more powerful than other armors, in fact, you even have to transmutate them on more powerful gear if you want the best stats, thus making them skins, and the effort you have to put into receiving them is ridiculous, if you happen to be unfortunate enough to like that armor skin, instead of a starting armor for example.

/E:

Believe it or not, there are people out there who want their characters to look awesome, and then play the game with them.

And not playing a specific part of the game forever until they are sick of the game, and then getting the character look they wanted, or playing the game first, and when everything else is finished, grinding the hell till they have the look they actually wanted to play the game with, which is already played to death by then.

(edited by Asum.4960)

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

You guys must not have played GW1 if you think what’s needed here is insane farming.

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

You guys must not have played GW1 if you think what’s needed here is insane farming.

I played GW 1 nearly since it’s release for 7 years, and there was only one armor (Obsidian) which needed as much effort as every armor in GW 2 does.

Getting prestige armors wasn’t all that difficult at all, and never required me to run a specific content (dungeons) for ever to get it.

I could play what i wanted to play, with the character i wanted to, and get pretty much every armor i wanted to have, for the character i wanted to have it on fairly easy.

The one armor, Obsidian, was one thing beyond that, for people that really, really wanted to show off. And not basically every armor skin in the game.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

It’s not about the WHOLE GAME, we are just talking about someone that want a dungeon’s armor because he likes it, i don’t care about the rest of the game ( which i love btw ), this is a specific topic. And the answer for the question " IF I WANT THAT ARMOR ? " is just " INSANE GRIND\FARM ".

They removed with the low-level-low-cost exotic skin my only choice of wearing an armor that i like and i still had to sweat to gain. That armor will be just inaccessible for me and for many others

You want the whole game to be changed to fit one aspect you want to be changed. Or did you really think other parts would be left untouched? Next would be every sPVP match would have to be rewarded with a chest so PVP is less “grindy”, or Karma should be tripled…

Posted by: Blacksp.8037

Blacksp.8037

I don’t mind what it takes to buy a whole set of gear.What I do mind is that there’s some dungeons that you die millions of times,have to repair like crazy,spend 5 hours on it and get only a few tokens. I’m talking about arah explorable mode.
I mean, if we are to grind that much for the gear we like atleast let we farm efficiently dungeons.

Posted by: Cordlessjoe.2415

Cordlessjoe.2415

I remember arenanet said there was no grinding in gw2 one of many lies

Posted by: AdamLiborio.8436

AdamLiborio.8436

I kind of agree with the OP. I did my first run of AC and I got 30 tokens. I was pretty amped cause I thought that was pretty good, until I went to the vendor and I realized even the level 35 armor was way out of my reach.
Now I get that the armor shouldn’t be super easy to obtain and most people shouldn’t be able to get it in a week, but I don’t see myself ever getting it. It’s not like it’s gold or karma you can gain from multiple sources and save up over months of playing. I don’t know if I can play the same dungeon over and over again.
The other thing was the non exotic (lvl 35) armor was all generic skin stuff that I already have. What’s the point of buying that ridiculously expensive armor when I have much better stuff just from random drops that looks the same.

Posted by: manwhat.1745

manwhat.1745

They said there was no grinding to 80, and no grinding to get the best gear. That’s true. You can get the best gear pretty easily.

Never said there wasn’t a grind to get the best-looking gear, and that’s subjective too.

crismuno.4210

this about dungeon is the only concern imho

Posted by: KaraMong.2715

KaraMong.2715

You want the whole game to be changed to fit one aspect you want to be changed. Or did you really think other parts would be left untouched? Next would be every sPVP match would have to be rewarded with a chest so PVP is less “grindy”, or Karma should be tripled…

Stop being a fanboy and try to be realist for a moment. The tokens required to get a full set is too much. It almost feels like a chore and not like a game anymore, grinding and grinding the same dungeon for days and get frustrated because, on top of the high cost/low profit, that dungeon is hard(or if you prefer “challenging”).

There should be some kind of tweaking like lower the cost or decrease the difficulty or even increase token gained from each run.

Posted by: Kaden.3162

Kaden.3162

and people would complain if they could obtain everything in 1 weekend, i dont mind how it is atm.

Posted by: Stryker.9632

Stryker.9632

This game has horizontal progression, so 4 days for 1 piece of “end game” gear for this guy isn’t bad at all.
Think of it as it will only take a few weeks to achieve his goal, that’s on par with raids.

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

Oh its this thread again

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

Posted by: kal.4350

kal.4350

It’s not “ALL HIS HOPES”. It’s just one item. A game longevity is defined but lots of things to achieve in a long time. Not needing an eternity to get 1 item.

You want mmo’s longevity? Then you need many things to farm. Not lots of time required for a few things to farm.

crismuno.4210

There should be some kind of tweaking like lower the cost or decrease the difficulty or even increase token gained from each run.

just a step back to the previously price for low-stats armor with the exotic skin, and as i said before, was all but short-term farm, now it’s just insane

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

It’s not too expensive at all. You don’t need to get the dungeon armour, it’s a prestige item to show you put the effort into getting it. If you want a prestige dungeon set you need to be prepared to do a lot of dungeons, that’s the entire point. Where is the prestige if they practically hand them out as soon as you get through the portal?

crismuno.4210

It’s not too expensive at all. You don’t need to get the dungeon armour, it’s a prestige item to show you put the effort into getting it. If you want a prestige dungeon set you need to be prepared to do a lot of dungeons, that’s the entire point. Where is the prestige if they practically hand them out as soon as you get through the portal?

Farming and grindind a dungeon over and over and over and over again until puke isnt a way to gain prestige, is just a bad design choice to high even more the exotic armor price.
And again try to think about it for a second instead of just posting " OMG ANOTHER WHINING THREAD :B ".

The way the exotic was meant before was this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman's_Helm – 25 token for the helm
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Pauldrons – 100 token pauldron
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Breastplate – 100 token breastplate
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Gauntlets – 100 token gauntlet
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Legguards – 100 token legguards
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Greaves – 100 token greaves

25 token per runs, it’s like 25 runs if everything goes in the right way to gain whole set, 1 run is like about 2 hours of gameplay for a total of 125 hours; now tell me that this aint a long-term achievement

multiply these number for 8 dungeons and it’s 1000 hours for all sets for all dungeons, and keep telling me that this isnt a long term-achievement

Now a single set is worth 300 tokens for a piece almost and the hours of farming-grinding tokens triplicated

It’s just insane

PS
Prestige is not a synonymous of frustrating, gaining an armor doing 25 runs in an hard dungeon with friends is a prestige itself, repeating it over and over again it’s not

Posted by: wintermute.2047

wintermute.2047

If you grind dungeons for tokens, then you’re just propagating bad game design. In effect, you’re hurting yourself and the rest of us as well.

Kana.6793

Farming and grindind a dungeon over and over and over and over again until puke isnt a way to gain prestige, is just a bad design choice to high even more the exotic armor price.
And again try to think about it for a second instead of just posting " OMG ANOTHER WHINING THREAD :B ".

The way the exotic was meant before was this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman's_Helm – 25 token for the helm
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Pauldrons – 100 token pauldron
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Breastplate – 100 token breastplate
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Gauntlets – 100 token gauntlet
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Legguards – 100 token legguards
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nobleman%27s_Greaves – 100 token greaves

25 token per runs, it’s like 25 runs if everything goes in the right way to gain whole set, 1 run is like about 2 hours of gameplay for a total of 125 hours; now tell me that this aint a long-term achievement

multiply these number for 8 dungeons and it’s 1000 hours for all sets for all dungeons, and keep telling me that this isnt a long term-achievement

Now a single set is worth 300 tokens for a piece almost and the hours of farming-grinding tokens triplicated

It’s just insane

PS
Prestige is not a synonymous of frustrating, gaining an armor doing 25 runs in an hard dungeon with friends is a prestige itself, repeating it over and over again it’s not

I never said it isn’t a long term achievement, it is and that’s how it should be. And no, I don’t think that’s too many hours. I spent over 700 hours on GW1 farming for HoM points and I spent months raiding on WoW each tier for titles and special mounts.

Posted by: Xiphoideus.3149

Xiphoideus.3149

The problem lies with the attitude of the players and not the game. The “I want this now mentality” is bad for this type of game. Yes someone spent 4 days farming for token or so to get what he wanted asap. But could this not be something you could take some months to achieve and split it up rather than doing the same task over and over again.
Take your time.

Posted by: wintermute.2047

wintermute.2047

The problem lies with the attitude of the players and not the game. The “I want this now mentality” is bad for this type of game. Yes someone spent 4 days farming for token or so to get what he wanted asap. But could this not be something you could take some months to achieve and split it up rather than doing the same task over and over again.
Take your time.

I think the concern is that something you should have to work hard to get can also be fun. Alien concept I know.

Posted by: Wormfodder.2051

Wormfodder.2051

I too would like to have the nifty dungeon sets, but I gave up the repetitive dungeon grind when I left WoW to come here. I don’t mind doing a dungeon a few times, but to have to actually live in it to get what I want out of it, is just silly. I don’t mind grinding for vanity gear, but I would also like for the carrot to be on a shorter stick. That would make it believable. Right now, that carrot is so far away, I’m not even bothering to reach for it.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full, there is still only half there.

crismuno.4210

I never said it isn’t a long term achievement, it is and that’s how it should be. And no, I don’t think that’s too many hours. I spent over 700 hours on GW1 farming for HoM points and I spent months raiding on WoW each tier for titles and special mounts.

HoM was a step by step achievement that you could do while doing everything you want, and playing WoW, a farm based game to leech your montlhy fee, isn’t a point that justify the price " FIX " they did

Take your time.

again with this " HIC ET NUNC ", you still didnt get the point

Kana.6793

HoM was a step by step achievement that you could do while doing everything you want, and playing WoW, a farm based game to leech your montlhy fee, isn’t a point that justify the price " FIX " they did

You can do this step by step while doing what you want as well, you don’t have to spam dungeons non-stop until you have enough tokens.

You can say what you like about WoW, but I’ll be doing these dungeons in much the same way as I raided – scheduled guild runs several times a week with a lot of fun on TS as we do them. As an added bonus all the explorables are available and none of them obsolete, so we can choose between them for variety. Plus there are the different paths for each instance.

crismuno.4210

You can do this step by step while doing what you want as well, you don’t have to spam dungeons non-stop until you have enough tokens.

You can say what you like about WoW, but I’ll be doing these dungeons in much the same way as I raided – scheduled guild runs several times a week with a lot of fun on TS as we do them.

the fact is that i’m playing GW2 and not WoW, i dont wanna insanely-farm things, i can just afford to farm things like the way the exotic dungeon armors were farmable before this price blown up

As an added bonus all the explorables are available and none of them obsolete, so we can choose between them for variety. Plus there are the different paths for each instance.

they get obsolete when you have to farm it 40 times, and we are talking about flawless games without bug, crash, failed parties and so on, not mentoning that you have to group with people that synergize well and are willing to farm 1380 tokens

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Your Gw1 player then you should know how Anet does things right? Why do you still complaint? This is pointless!

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

And more importantly – not everyone is MEANT to own everything in this game. Some people just wont be “able” to get certain recipes for crafting, certain armor or items.

I love it! Go look around in most other MMO’s all the warrior are wearing the same set, carrying the same weapon and crafting the exact same items as the next crafter in the profession.

I don’t think you will ever see that here – and I am in love with that.

crismuno.4210

And more importantly – not everyone is MEANT to own everything in this game. Some people just wont be “able” to get certain recipes for crafting, certain armor or items.

I love it! Go look around in most other MMO’s all the warrior are wearing the same set, carrying the same weapon and crafting the exact same items as the next crafter in the profession.

I don’t think you will ever see that here – and I am in love with that.

everyone has to wear what he likes not what he can farm

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

This is funny…one half of the forums “There is nothing to do after max level! I don’t think i’ll be playing long!” and on the other half of the forums “The rarest and most exotic stuff in the game takes too long to get!”

If you all ever got together you’d have the most self-entitled, impatient babies ever to exist.

Nothing in the game requires you to have a specific armor set. If you really really want one for your character, then do whats required. If what is required is too much for you, then you don’t get the thing you want. There is plenty else to enjoy. -Fin.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand