I don't like how consuming dye works

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Stradigos.7143

Stradigos.7143

I was surprised to learn today that, after all this time of clicking on my dye in my inventory to send it to my collections, that there is no collection slot for it, thus I have been consuming my dye.

I get it, and I’m going to assume full responsibility for not reading the text, but as a player, I still have to say it’s confusing. There is a whole separate menu for dying your character, and I was expecting to be able to choose from my available dye’s, either in my inventory or collections (if there was one), to dye my armor… I was NOT expecting to have to consume my dyes, which makes literally no sense what so ever when you’re talking about dyes.

I do not eat, drink, or digest dyes. I do not consume them. Dyes are applied to clothing. There is a separate UI to Dye your clothes… see why I got mixed up with this?

Again, I get it, I’m stupid and I won’t make the mistake again. The game is very easy to understand in other places, and I’m not trying to start anything by this post. I’m just trying to point out, there could have been a better way to do this.

In before posts trying to flame me.

PS: If there is a way to get my dye back, LET ME KNOW!

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

Just for me to clarify, are you upset that the dyes you used on one character can’t be used on other characters?

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Stuka.7165

Stuka.7165

If it was done how you suggest then dyes would have no value because you could simply use them and then trade them. That wouldnt make sense. Consume doesnt necessarily mean to ingest

Posted by: Wolfmother.4098

Wolfmother.4098

Yep, once you ‘consume’ a dye it’s there to be used for that character only.
I wouldn’t concern myself with getting flamed, Anet is pretty good about making sure folk follow rules here * yay anet<3*

We can make ourselves miserable, or we can make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

Stradigos.7143

If it was done how you suggest then dyes would have no value because you could simply use them and then trade them. That wouldnt make sense. Consume doesnt necessarily mean to ingest

With the way I meant, the dye would be used at that point, but straight from your inventory/collection. It wouldn’t just stick around.

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

Methinks you are mixing GW concept of one-use dyes with GW2 one … ‘consuming’ dye is more like learning recipe so there is no need to have special storage for them.

EU / Aurora Glade

Stradigos.7143

I think the root of the confusion for me was… consumption at the point of using it vs. at the point of adding it to your list of available colors. I don’t like the way it is now, and it’s just my opinion, that’s all.

Posted by: SuperLuigi.3720

SuperLuigi.3720

I think the root of the confusion for me was… consumption at the point of using it vs. at the point of adding it to your list of available colors. I don’t like the way it is now, and it’s just my opinion, that’s all.

But…when you consume it, you add it to the list of available colors. Those two actions are one in the same. I honestly don’t understand what you mean by this.

Posted by: remix.9856

remix.9856

How can you hate it? You use it forever on that character and as many times as you want and there’s so many dyes compared to like guild wars 1 5-6 dyes that had one time uses

Posted by: Routine.6194

Routine.6194

What better way of doing this could there be? I think it’s awesome to have a growing palette of colors at your disposal and the ability to mix and match them at any time.

Posted by: Marsh.7214

Marsh.7214

It would be amazing if dyes were accountbound instead of soulbound once you consume them.

Posted by: Jarvis.3487

Jarvis.3487

It would be amazing if dyes were accountbound instead of soulbound once you consume them.

Agreed, wish they were slightly more common drops as I am only getting them about every 3-5 levels now or maybe I am just not playing the right content to get them more often

Pre-purchased 7/31/2012 (unsubscribed SWTOR as well…)
Music for the weekend – http://protoculturedjblog.blogspot.com/
Active GW2 forum – http://www.guildwars2forum.com/members/12043-Jarvis

Posted by: Ailsan.6327

Ailsan.6327

But once you consume them, they are at your disposal forever…isn’t that a good thing?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i like how it works

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Jen Tull.5867

Jen Tull.5867

I have never seen so much typed and so little sense made.

1 – You get a unidentified dye, you double click it to discover what colour it is,

2 – you then decide if you want that colour in your collection,

3 – you do so you double click it again, the dye now enters your collection for that character,

4 – so if you had black dye, you now have black dye forever on that character.

Considering black dye in GW1 was used as a currency (as was white dye) and it was a bit over priced if you wanted all your gear dyed, this solution is awesome, I buy a dye or get a nice drop and bang it’s mine, I don’t have to keep paying for it.

How is this confusing in anyway, and I just cannot for the life of me see the negative, if we had consumable dye’s that vanished after one use, you would never have any gold.

Posted by: Hel.6340

Hel.6340

I definitely prefer the GW2 way rather than the GW1 dye.

Nothing like spending your life savings on black dye in GW1 and then misclicking…

Heley – Guardian
[dl*] Digital Legion – Gandara – www.digital-legion.com