I have a really big problem with getting my level dumbed down

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Being able to go to a lower zone and fight 100 mobs and never take a point of damage, has always been a stupid design. Imagine trying to level an alt if one high-level character could 1-shot through every event in the zone before you even knew they were happening. I’ve already decided that any future MMORPGs will have to have this feature before I will play them.

Posted by: Morzul.4625

Morzul.4625

I really dont like it at all to begin with because the logic for me is that, if im level 50 i should be able to tank 10 level 1s if i wanted to no matter what i am. I earned my levels after all and i think i should have a ridiculous advantage on things that have a much lower level than me. whats the point of leveling if no matter where u go, theyll force ur power to match the power of the npcs? i wouldnt have such a problem with it if i wouldnt get dumbed down to the same level as the npc’s in the area because often times, if i go to a level 1-15 area, a lvl 8 area, i get dumbed down to level 6, and im fighting level 8s. i think it would be fine if i get dumbed down, and still be a higher level than the area im in. say i go to a level 1-15 area ok? the highest level i can be there is level 17 where everything else is 15 where and the lowest is 1, instead of getting dumbed down to 3 i should get dumbed down to 5 instead.

if i get dumbed down, because i earned my levels i think i shouldnt be dumbed down to where my levels serve as no advantage in the zone

You think in the wrong way. First of all you are not dumbed down, only your level and base stats scaled down to the level of the area. Your gear/weap bonuses (rune proc effects for example, sigils etc.), traits take effect, so you are definitely more powerful than you were at the that real level before. Also, the benefit of this scaling is that you can level up anywhere below your actual level, you can go other races starting area and get XP/karma, leveling effectively. Also, when you are 80 and you want to complete unfinished, untouched maps, you do it with challenge, not boring walk in the park. Same for instances you skipped, like AC which is a lvl30-35, but you can go back at lvl80 and do it as you were lvl30-35.

Level scaling is one of the genius additions of this game.

Posted by: Whitewolf.7395

Whitewolf.7395

If your goal in this game is to brute force your way through you will fail at this game. If you dont like not having that option its not the game for you. Its pretty much that simple. Since the core philosophy is skill vs loot and this game went with skill. I prefer it all content gives loot and its all still fun.

Posted by: Malacath.9513

Malacath.9513

I’m surprized anyone who has ever played a mmorpg could complain about this. maybe you should try wow, or swtor. I’m sure you will love getting to lvl 80 or, 60 and not getting to go back and experience all and any content the way it was ment to be played.

Posted by: MatchesMalone.8673

MatchesMalone.8673

The “deleveling system” is one of the best features of GW2 in my opinion. Here are the pros:

-I get to play with my friends no matter what. If they’re above me they can still join me & get XP & vice versa if I’m above them.

-The whole map is always playable & relevant. I probably wouldn’t explore these amazing areas without the deleveling system.

-It keeps higher level players from clearing areas & encourages team work, especially on the champions & dynamic events.

Whatever cons you can think of are heavily outweighed by the pros.

I would say that I wish the system would leave you 1-2 levels above the area (maybe), so you did feel a little more superiority but you do still have your skills, gear & trait lines to your advantage.

(edited by MatchesMalone.8673)

Posted by: RJMazz.6798

RJMazz.6798

I really dont like it at all to begin with because the logic for me is that, if im level 50 i should be able to tank 10 level 1s if i wanted to no matter what i am. I earned my levels after all and i think i should have a ridiculous advantage on things that have a much lower level than me. whats the point of leveling if no matter where u go, theyll force ur power to match the power of the npcs? i wouldnt have such a problem with it if i wouldnt get dumbed down to the same level as the npc’s in the area because often times, if i go to a level 1-15 area, a lvl 8 area, i get dumbed down to level 6, and im fighting level 8s. i think it would be fine if i get dumbed down, and still be a higher level than the area im in. say i go to a level 1-15 area ok? the highest level i can be there is level 17 where everything else is 15 where and the lowest is 1, instead of getting dumbed down to 3 i should get dumbed down to 5 instead.

if i get dumbed down, because i earned my levels i think i shouldnt be dumbed down to where my levels serve as no advantage in the zone

Only your basic stats get levelled down to the area’s level. You’re still in a huge trait/gear/skill advantage. You’re still more powerful than the other players. It’s a good balance, overall

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

I also completely disagree with the OP. I think the down-levelling is one of the most significant innovations in GW2. I don’t know if it’s been done in any game before; I do think it’s close to being a piece of pure genius! No more power-levelling. No more high level idiot running round a low level area wiping everything out to the detriment of on-level players. Can go anywhere, any time, with anyone, and play on-level, helping them, with challenge & profit for myself. It’s brilliant.

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Posted by: Draco.9470

Draco.9470

The deleveling should be optional and toggled on or off as the player desires. If he wants to go back and do content he had difficulty with at earlier levels, he should be able to. And if he wants to get good exp and play with friends then he should be able to toggle on his deleveling. I just don’t understand why the player doesn’t have the choice, it seems like a win win to give them the option.

I couldnt possibly disagree more. The whole idea is so you cant go back and one shot everything, or farm lower levels. It really brings the M back to MMO’s amongst a few other things that they have done for this game.

Moribundus / Draconox – Darkhaven

Posted by: Svenn.5209

Svenn.5209

As a level 80 in a lower level zone I feel way powerful. Having all the extra traits and better gear does make a pretty large difference while down-leveled. I can often kill many enemies in just 2-3 basic (autoattack) hits in zones under level 25. Even while down-leveled the dungeons are much easier when you have the better traits and gear at higher levels.

So yeah, you can still feel powerful even with the down-leveling. That doesn’t mean you’ll be able to blow through an area taking no damage and killing dozens of enemies with each swing. The big point you are missing here is that this system means that you will never completely out-level an area. That means instead of having 3-5 zones in which you can play at any time that are challenging and rewarding, you have an increasingly large pool as you level until the entire game is opened to you and you can go ANYWHERE and be challenged and rewarded.

Svenn Ethir – Seeds of War – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Here’s the thing…

Imagine that you were not down-leveled in lower level zones. If this were true, you could definitely tank all the level 10 mobs you want at level 50, but…

why would you?

The level 10 zone would be completely useless for you. You would get no exp at all for killing those mobs, and all the loot would be too low level for you to be useful. Even worse, for those few high levels that like owning low level DE’s, they would completely ruin them for the low level players. Take it from me, having a level 80 follow you around and “help” you with all the events you find isn’t very fun.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Sorrow.7452

Sorrow.7452

The simple answer is, if they didn’t down level, then high level players would ruin all the dynamic events in the non 80 zones.

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Level-scaling-for-dungeons-is-absurd

This topic has been covered already today. Just linking for reference. The point of leveling is no longer a measure of one’s awesomeness. This is a feature that I strongly support. Leveling has been the crux that most MMO’s rely on and it has gotten ridiculous. Leveling in GW2 comes across more as a indication of one’s progress than one’s abilities. You get access to more areas of the map, more dungeons, etc… but your level of awesomeness still requires you to supply it.

Win for GW2!

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

Posted by: Mitissa.1532

Mitissa.1532

The OP hasn’t responded since the original post so I will safely assume he was being pissy and quit already. The purpose of containing your level is all over the walls of this forum. If you do not like how this feature works, go to one of the other MMO’s that utilize 1-man wrecking balls.

Posted by: Meece.4109

Meece.4109

If you ever played Rift, you’d know that down-leveling is a good thing. There is nothing worse than being level 10, fighting level 10 mobs, and some level 50 group comes in and wipes the entire map before you can get a shot off.

Posted by: Mitissa.1532

Mitissa.1532

Ha! Especially when they put your one and only city a stones throw away from the starting area.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Lol! Thats why Anet did this so no can abuse low lvls areas so every map youll go it will still be a challenge cause you cant abuse them and thats WONDERFUL! Anyway if youll notice only stats scaled down not your armor stat and weapons so somehow youll still have power. Im lvl 80 and have exotic gears and weps and i have no prob doing low lvl maps….

Posted by: Mug.9403

Mug.9403

When MMOs evolve, they will not have level (again). Here they have done a cross breed of a couple of systems, and it turns out the “best so far”. It can be better, but I don’t think people with an absolute definition of what a level is and what you “must” be able to do with it will let it happen. I’m just saying you may want to think outside of the box.

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

I personally like to think of it in this light:
EVERY SINGLE person on the server is fighting at equal ground in ALL zones and instances within reason.

Levels are there to do ONE thing and one thing only – Deter you from wandering into higher level areas than you shouldn’t be in. It serves as a tool to keep you in the zone you are in until you are personally strong enough to leave it.

It is a beautiful system and I love it.

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

Wouldn’t it be awesome if Blizzard added a patch overnight that did the same thing… all those players going “WTF?” at once when they realize they can no longer solo those old world dungeons and raids. Wiped on the trash at the front door.

If you want to see and do the content, see and do it at the level it was intended… not after the fact in faceroll mode. You really didn’t “beat” anything when you are 60 levels above the mobs you are hitting. They can’t even hurt you. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel. If that’s the sort of game you like… go back to WoW. No skill/effort required… just a valid credit account.

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

You still kill way faster if you have a good weapon and good armor to match. I have a lvl 80 and I slaughter mobs in lower level zones like no tomorrow even when I go to farm in lower level zones.

I support this

Am fully green/yellow 80 and its so easy to kill lower level mobs.

I wonder when am fully exotic if my lower level stats are increased
My rapid fire kills 1 mob in couple of seconds

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

Posted by: kesayo.6031

kesayo.6031

Why would you want to go to a level 1 area and tank 10 mobs when you’re level 50?
You don’t gain anything from it and you’re clearing out hunting grounds for the level appropriate people. I always hated in other games when higher levels would come to the low level areas and kill all the bosses just to make themselves feel good and those of us who need the quests have to wait for respawn.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

Why would you want to go to a level 1 area and tank 10 mobs when you’re level 50?
You don’t gain anything from it and you’re clearing out hunting grounds for the level appropriate people. I always hated in other games when higher levels would come to the low level areas and kill all the bosses just to make themselves feel good and those of us who need the quests have to wait for respawn.

He’d be going to farm. Downleveling is also one of the anti-farming mechanics of the game, and it works pretty well in that regard as well (there are other ones, like diminishing returns on loot drops from farming mobs or DEs in one area).

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I do love the ANet decision about level caps in low level areas.
BUT: I would love to see it like this:
On the map it is shown the level for the area.
For the starter area is: 1-17

So, if you are level 80, I think you should scale down to level 17 not level 3.
Just my point of view.

Posted by: Moderator

The Players Helping Players forum is meant for players to give and receive help to/from other players. It is not the place to provide general game feedback. Please help keep these forums clean by staying on topic.