I wish I knew how to get gold.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Half Mystic.9072

Half Mystic.9072

As a casual player.

I’m not complaining, I just wish I knew, and it’s kind of one of the reasons I only play off and on now.

I REALLY love this game, but the goal of getting to a legendary weapon ( for which I need gold to get the precurser ) is just way out of reach for someone who only plays like maybe 2ish hours a day.. I think?

Again, not complaing, I would love some advice though.

I’ve read guides, which suggest to grind events, but it seems like it’s way too populated to do that in the good event areas, so the gold flow seems to be really slow..

Another guide said to grind crafting mats and put it on the AH, which I did.. but I guess I was doing that wrong, as I only got like 5 gold for 2 days of work. Seems kind of low.

Then I looked at another guide that told me to make alternate characters and play through the story and 100% the entire world map over and over, which also is a bit out of my reach. I only have 1 level 80 character and he is at 76% completetion, and I thought I was pretty dedicated to be even that far.

So, my question to you guys is just that, do I just need to be more dedicated and spend hours upon hours to obtain gold to get a precursor, or is there a better way?

Thanks. :o

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Cof path one runs. Take no time at all with any group comp imaginable, almost one gold per run. Pug groups usually take about 8 minutes per run… you’re looking at nearly 20 gold a day.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

But if you want to have FUN and not do it as a job, just hit up meta events and salvage the resulting rares and just run around in the world. Also save up your karma and buy Orran Jewelery Boxes since karma isn’t good for much of anything else, you can turn a few gold from them. That’s what I’ve been doing and I’ve saved up about 75g in the last 2 weeks or so and I probably average 2-3 hours/day:)

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

2 main methods
Farming easy/quick dungeons. Examples include AC, CM, SE and CoF. Be sure to buy gold find food.
Playing the trading post. Requires start-up capital and market savvy.
Alternative method
Pray to the RNG gods day and night.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Cof path one runs.

This is the best at the moment.

AC, CM

These are no longer straightforward. AC is now significantly more difficult than CoF – even for level 80s (actually I would say especially for level 80s, had way more success with 35 groups since the patch). Notwithstanding that it does yield almost a full level of XP all the way up to level 73 or so; still worth it if you are looking for levels.

I am not entirely sure about CM post-patch, I played it enough times to realise it’s all about graveyard zerging and now just avoid it entirely.

Finally, you should only be salvaging exotics. Everything else is vendor trash (not destroyed, sold).

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Finally, you should only be salvaging exotics. Everything else is vendor trash (not destroyed, sold).

Rares should be sold on the trading post, not to a vendor. The buy price was anywhere from 18 to 35 silver per, depending on what they are (weapons tend to sell for more than armor, with greatswords usually leading).

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Rares should be sold on the trading post, not to a vendor. The buy price was anywhere from 18 to 35 silver per, depending on what they are (weapons tend to sell for more than armor, with greatswords usually leading).

Indeed. I usually just check where I would expect the best price. Sometimes low-levelled items have good prices on the TP due to aesthetic value.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Drusszan.7368

Drusszan.7368

all I do is go farm some of the mobs that drop bags and sell them to the trading post last night I sold 17 bags supply bags for about 25s. and was on from just exploring and and fighting bandits and centaurs. Works for me cause I made about 3 g in the last 2 days.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Unless you want to farm dungeons or mats extensively, if you only play a couple of hours a day you are not going to make a lot of money. 2 to 3 gold a day is very reasonable then. Your best bet if you want to farm is learning how to speed clear dungeons and get on a team. You might want to consider whether a Legendary is a viable goal. If you decide it is, you are going to have to stop “playing” and put your nose to the grindstone to farm the necessary money and materials. Not everyone is going for a Legendary. A large number of players are not and its not necessary for the game.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

5 gold in 2 days/4 hours sounds pretty decent for a casual gamer, IMO.

(edited by rozcinana.7249)

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

5g for 4 hours work? thats pretty kitten good.

I am in the same boat, I can only play 10-12 hours a week and also after a legendary. I have been playing since launch and want to say been grinding since Oct./Nov. I now have enough gold to buy the mats I need for my legendary, Lodestones/Runestones/T6 mats to make my gifts. The one major obstacle for people like us will be the precursor.

Made all my gold grind events in Orr, mainly the Penitant/Shelter/Jofast rotation. I usually make about 2-4 gold a day. Since I am going for my legendary I am keeping all my Ectos/T6 mats I need still, capped on some. Capped on all T5 mats so I sell all of those on the TP.

Vendor all White/Blue leather and cloth items, salvage all White/Blue Metal and Wood items to makes gifts or sell on TP. I vender all Green items. Some people like to put all greens int he Mystic Forge but its a huge gamble and may end up making less than you would have got vendoring them.

Salvage or TP all RARE/YELLOW items…do not vendor them. Sell all exotics on the TP, usually not worth risk of salvaging them.

If you can only play two hours a day you have to decide if you are really willing to watch others pass you up on your adventure to getting a legendary….its totally worth it to me :-), but make no mistake…it is a huge grind….if you are not rich :-).

Happy hunting.

FYI, after Twilight :-)

(edited by Amun Ra.6435)

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Cof path one runs.

This is the best at the moment.

AC, CM

These are no longer straightforward. AC is now significantly more difficult than CoF – even for level 80s (actually I would say especially for level 80s, had way more success with 35 groups since the patch). Notwithstanding that it does yield almost a full level of XP all the way up to level 73 or so; still worth it if you are looking for levels.

I am not entirely sure about CM post-patch, I played it enough times to realise it’s all about graveyard zerging and now just avoid it entirely.

AC takes slightly longer than it did, but the thing that makes it appealing is the number of boss drops. The sharred path has 2 (or 3 if troll spawns) bosses which will net you 20-30silver ignoring food and additional drops. Once you relearn the boss mechanics it can be done almost as fast as before.

You should not be salvaging exotics; most are worth more on the tp than the ectos you would salvage from it, even if you do get lucky. Account bound ones can be salvaged or chucked into the mystic toilet.
Rares should be salvaged unless they can be sold for more than the price of an ecto.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I’m in the same boat as the OP…

And to ask a dumb question, for clarification: What color are exotic items? I’ve been salvaging all of my weapons/armor (when I replace them with new ones) regardless of rarity type, so I’ll start selling on TP and vendors. Good tip!

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

And to ask a dumb question, for clarification: What color are exotic items? I’ve been salvaging all of my weapons/armor (when I replace them with new ones) regardless of rarity type, so I’ll start selling on TP and vendors. Good tip!

Exotic are the orange items. But if you are replacing items they are now probably ‘soul bound’ and no longer able to sell on the TP. But salvaging items you have no more use for is probably the best thing, unless the vendor price if higher than the TP price.

Posted by: KuruptNightmare.1670

KuruptNightmare.1670

Exotics are Orange in color.
Rare – Yellow
Masterwork – Green
Fine – Blue
Regular – White
Legendary – Purple
Ascended – Pink

Returning Vet Looking for A Home

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

Thanks Amun Ra and KuruptNightmare! And good call about the soul bound… I totally forgot about that. :P

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’ve never had trouble with this in the game, but I also don’t want a legendary.

I salvage almost everything and I don’t craft anything unless it’s part of the daily. Anytime I need money for something expensive I just sell off my more expensive materials on the Trading Post. I got my first rare set of order armor this way (8g88s), and my first set of exotic armor this way as well (3.5 to 4g per piece, x6, before runes)

If you are really hurting and just impatient, or dont have the time to play, set aside like, 20 bucks and convert the gems.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Cof path one runs. Take no time at all with any group comp imaginable, almost one gold per run. Pug groups usually take about 8 minutes per run… you’re looking at nearly 20 gold a day.

How do people get 1g per run there?. I’ve run it a few times with guild, I usually get about 20s at the end and a bunch of greens and blues that sell for like 1 or 2s each. I’d say 30 or 40s per run would be stretching it.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Let’s say my goal wasn’t so crazy as a Legendary. I just want to put all my 80s in zerker exotics. What’s the most straightforward path to that that doesn’t involve CoF?

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Let’s say my goal wasn’t so crazy as a Legendary. I just want to put all my 80s in zerker exotics. What’s the most straightforward path to that that doesn’t involve CoF?

if you have the gold but not the time, go straight to the trading post, crafting nowadays won’t save you much gold because everyone is at 400 crafting, Unless you need some of the more popular items such as greatswords.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My routine is to hunt a few big bosses (temple timer), do the daily and hit a few events. If I have the spare time, a fotm10 run. While it doesn’t give me huge income, it adds up steadily.

Check your bank, there’s probably a ton of crafting materials you won’t ever use, some of them can net you quite some money. Just selling the tier one gems and tokens gives me a few gold every few weeks. Once I’m done with crafting I’ll just sell out everything for a pile of gold. The value in there is about as much as my precursor.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

I use a Black Lion salvaging kit (if I have any) or a master salvaging kit on rares in order to get the Ectoplasms. Granted, you run the risk of getting 0 but you also run the chance of getting 3… and, in my experience, they sell for more than the rare itself (about 25s-30s). You will also get sigils this way and they are worth 2s-6s a pop.

So by farming world events you will get a stack of blues and greens (vendor) and 1-3 yellows per chest (maybe even an exotic). On it’s own, it doesn’t seem like much but if you get your farm on, it all adds up.

This is just what I do, would like to hear opinions on it provided they are constructive.

Posted by: KuruptNightmare.1670

KuruptNightmare.1670

Another way to make money, but really only is viable if you have at least 3 lvl 75+ alts is to spam CoF P1/P2 (P2 Only if you got a group that knows what they are doing and have the same interest in defending Magg countless times) But think of it. CoF paths 1 and 2 on 1 character yields 120 tokens. But you want to do P1 multiple times because of its easiness factor. Maybe the chest won’t give you absolute crud. So Let’s say 3 runs of P1 and 1 run of P2 on at least 3 characters daily.

That’s around ~450 tokens a day. If you have the time and aptitude for repetition. So what do you do with said tokens? Well a friend of mine did this for a month or so ad then dropped the Exotic greatswords bought there into the Mystic Toilet and got Dawn in 15 tries. He got lucky. What you can do with said tokens is go to vendors and buy the armors that cos 30 tokens and then salvage. They are rare, you didn’t buy them and you didn’t have to chance drops for them. So 450 tokens divided by 30, 15 rares! Salvage and you’re looking at 0(if incredibly unlucky) – 45 (if extremely lucky) ectos. That adds up in the long run. I’d say a median vaule of ~25 should be good. You can sell the ectos or save them as you need ~231 for the mystic clover rng, and 250 for the Gift of Fortune.
But again you’d have to work alts to 80 then put in the grinding time. I’m working on my 3rd alt to do just this. Hopes it helps.

Other fast dungeons:
HOTW P1
SE P1/P3
AC P2 – I think goes by quicker than the rest with a good group.

Hope this helps.

Returning Vet Looking for A Home

(edited by KuruptNightmare.1670)

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

the main thing is to always sell blues/greens/nonmetal whites
TP or salvage rares
TP exotics or salvage (if TP price is below 75s)

usually adds up to about a gold a day.

Also materials are usually worth something, sell the ones you get if you are after money. T5 go for a handful of silver, t6 even moreso.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I use a Black Lion salvaging kit (if I have any) or a master salvaging kit on rares in order to get the Ectoplasms. Granted, you run the risk of getting 0 but you also run the chance of getting 3… and, in my experience, they sell for more than the rare itself (about 25s-30s). You will also get sigils this way and they are worth 2s-6s a pop.

I’ll salvage with a BL Kit sometimes, but not Master’s. Back when the chance for rare materials was higher with a Master’s kit, it was an acceptable risk, now that it’s a 25% chance, I don’t like the odds.