Is WTS/WTB in Map chat "Spam", now that the Trading Post is up?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ROMzombie.5196

ROMzombie.5196

Q:

Good evening!

Now that the Trading Post is up, I was looking forward to Map being used for questions and coordination, but instead it’s still crowded and moving too fast due to people trying to avoid the 15% service charge of the Trading Post.

I’ve pointed out that the TP is up for everyone now and that they should use it, but every response back has been indignant. Often they claim “one post isn’t spam!”, but when it’s one post from fifty different people, or a hundred, or even two hundred in Lion’s Arch, it very much is spam in the composite to me.

Is there a consensus? Am I the only one who is a hardass and upset about this? If possible I’m looking more for official word from the GM staff on what they would allow us to report. If the GMs don’t care I’ll just remove the Map channel from my window and deal with the silence, but I’d prefer not to have to cut myself off from the main portion of the community just due to people misusing the channel.

Thanks guys!
- ROMzombie.5196 @ Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Kermit.3691

Kermit.3691

well, I don’t personally use the general world chat for trade, but that’s mostly because I don’t trade much at all. In other MMO’s that I’ve played, the regional chat does get used, at least occasionally, for people selling or offering, and to be frank, it doesn’t usually bother me that much

for whatever reason, trading with a real person rather than a TP/AH posting can be more comforting for some folk, and often times when someone is posting in the world chat they’re offering really good deals, or even giving things away in a moment of generosity

however, I would agree that even though any single person using the channel might not bother me, hundreds using it for that purpose could easily invalidate the other uses of world chat – for that reason, most games have a trade chat that more or less mirrors the regional chat as far as extent, but can be turned off without turning off the rest of the region – I haven’t checked, so I don’t recall if GW2 has a separate trade channel or not, but if they don’t, they probably should

if it doesn’t have a separate trade channel, I’d probably recommend against reporting people for spamming just for any individual use, only because the statement on the reporting panel does indicate that the GM’s will not take kindly to abuse of the reporting system…which reporting people for posting trade with no other outlet could easily be seen as

now, if there IS a trade channel, reporting them for spamming might not be entirely out of line, but I wouldn’t take my opinion as GM fact by any means

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

For now best is either ignore the chat or look for some helpful guilds if you have questions. If you’re outside Lion’s Arch pretty sure someone can answer your query.

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I ignore the WTB and WTS. On my server it is not that bad. The 15% service charge is actually not all that bad if the item is priced right. It is also somewhat of a “Gold Sink” to use the term loosely.

Personally most buyers will use the trading post due to it is more secure. Buying though mail is like buying from the black market. It is risky as there is no Player to Player trading (COD or otherwise). As soon as the People posting in chat figure that out that they will go to the trading post too. The posts I feel will also decrease after the Trading post is more stable. I am fine with the crafters posting Looking for work due to the way the economy is for crafted items at the moment.

As long as it is kept to Lions Arch I really don’t care all that much. After all it is the trade city.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

I wouldn’t be surprise if they add a trade channel in GW2 too (just like they did in GW1 and strictly enforced it – people get banned if they post it in General :p )

I agree with @Kermit.3691 that you will need to be careful of using the in-game report feature. The best way to go with reporting them is if other people in your zone reports them too. Multiple people reporting trade-spammers is better than one people – it won’t look like a “personal” vendetta or something. The main point being, it will look like that the community is not happy about it (which most of us are anyway).

However, don’t expect immediate action on it because right now they have a long list of stuff to do until things settle down. But I’m with you there, it’s spammy. Let’s add to that – guild recruitment in-game ads.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Posted by: TouchOfRed.8359

TouchOfRed.8359

I understand why it bothers you, especially since the TP is now back up and running. I guess some people still just want to do it the old fashioned way? Idk. But I doubt Anet will start handling it as spam. Way too many people would be banned, it is an expected part of any MMO, you can opt out of it with like 3 mouse clicks, and I don’t even think it technically falls under the category of spam. Though it might. So yeah, it sucks. But find ways around it, cause there’s not much that can be done about it.

Edit: A trade channel WOULD be nice.

Posted by: Titus.9705

Titus.9705

The trading post is such a headache to use, terrible design.

Posted by: GoureN.5082

GoureN.5082

For some people WTS is the only way to make money, becouse at least from personal experience, trying to make a profit using the trading post is futile. “Oh you found this awesome green item that you can’t use but can sell, well too bad , becouse 50 other people are selling the same item for the low low price of 80 COPPER.” Seriously, vendor price IS NOT the sugested price for an item on the trading post.

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

For some people WTS is the only way to make money, becouse at least from personal experience, trying to make a profit using the trading post is futile. “Oh you found this awesome green item that you can’t use but can sell, well too bad , becouse 50 other people are selling the same item for the low low price of 80 COPPER.” Seriously, vendor price IS NOT the sugested price for an item on the trading post.

The other side of the coin is people usekitten over pricing. No one buys it and then they complain that the TP is broken. Add the 15% fee and they feel that spamming it general chat will get them better results

Unfortunately they don’t see they are the problem, not the TP. The spam in general chat does get annoying. Wish these people realized that most ppl ignore it.

Posted by: ROMzombie.5196

ROMzombie.5196

I should probably make a sugguestion, rather than just complain about the situation:

Why not, as a quality-of-life improvement, put an auto-Map/Say silence in place for an hour if a threshold on Spam reports from five users is exceeded?

Player X posts (and links Items) to Lion’s Arch repeatedly trying to offload equipment, and players A, B, C, D and E get annoyed and report it. Player X automatically gets silenced for an hour as a punitive measure that also resolves the problem temporarily.

Posted by: Skipjack.6730

Skipjack.6730

I don’t mind it in the cities, (use to WoW i guess) but out in the zones it gets annoying.

This message was brought to you by the Brinewater Corporation.