Is it legit to use mouse macros?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: krisztian.6513

krisztian.6513

Hy,

Today a friend suggested to me in a Queen’s Pavilon run where I tried to get in his megaserver to use some kind of macros which would somehow help, but I’m not enterly sure if its fine to use. He said its only a macro what clicks instead of me but I dont wanna get into any trouble, so I thought I’d ask first o.o

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

The rule is 1:1 keypresses, mouse buttons or otherwise. For example, you press a button on the side of your mouse and its macro presses “F”. That’s ok. If you press a button on the side of your mouse and it double clicks (2 keypresses), it’s not ok.

I don’t see how a (legal) macro could help you in joining, but I haven’t given it much thought. If you feel you’re in a gray area with this rule, consider it to be not allowed to avoid getting into any trouble.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Hy,

Today a friend suggested to me in a Queen’s Pavilon run where I tried to get in his megaserver to use some kind of macros which would somehow help, but I’m not enterly sure if its fine to use. He said its only a macro what clicks instead of me but I dont wanna get into any trouble, so I thought I’d ask first o.o

Effectively, Macros are only permitted if they function as a key rebind.

For example, a macro that lets you press “ctrl+1” to execute “6” would be allowed because it is just a rebind (a useful one if you don’t like having to press 6-0 to reach the far skills on your bar and prefer to hit 1-5 and ctrl+1-5).

If you have a Macro that lets you press a key and then it fires off multiple executions (like 1, then a wait, then 2, then a wait, then move here, then 6, etc.) it is strictly banned. Even a macro that says things in chat (like press “u” and say “/s Help Me Obi-Wan”) is banned because it executes multiple keystrokes (each letter).

Server: Devona’s Rest

(edited by mtpelion.4562)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What your friend is probably suggesting is a macro that will move the mouse to his picture in the party window, right click, move to ‘Join in map’ click, press enter (or move to the ‘map is full’ window and click ok) and then repeat the process until you turn it off.

That is definitely against the rules because it’s basically botting (setting your computer up to play a part of the game for you). It’s a mild form but still quite clearly against the rules and a bannable offense.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

how about 3 macros:
‘1’ moves your cursor to his picture and right-clicks
‘2’ moves your cursor to ‘Join in map’ and clicks
‘3’ moves your cursor to ‘OK’ under the ‘Map is full’ window and clicks
then all he does is press 123 123 123 123 123 until he enters. can spam that probably 3 times a second instead of 1 time every 3 seconds for the usual method.

also, it could be argued that a macro that repeatedly tries to join it for you is indeed 1 click=action. 99% of the time, nothing will happen = no action. so 1 click to start the macro = the single action is that he will eventually move to another map.

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

how about 3 macros:
‘1’ moves your cursor to his picture and right-clicks
‘2’ moves your cursor to ‘Join in map’ and clicks
‘3’ moves your cursor to ‘OK’ under the ‘Map is full’ window and clicks
then all he does is press 123 123 123 123 123 until he enters. can spam that probably 3 times a second instead of 1 time every 3 seconds for the usual method.

also, it could be argued that a macro that repeatedly tries to join it for you is indeed 1 click=action. 99% of the time, nothing will happen = no action. so 1 click to start the macro = the single action is that he will eventually move to another map.

To be safe, I’d separate the cursor movements and clicks into separate keys, so in your example, it would require 6 keypresses. Only reason is because this is a grey area, as a cursor movement can easily be considered an action.

As to your second point, I completely disagree. The action is clicking. You can’t re-define the action to be one that results from multiple clicks/movements. And a failed action is still an action. One click to start a macro that moves the mouse and clicks multiple times doesn’t count as one action. Just because it has the potential to result in nothing doesn’t mean you can loop it either. By your logic, I can setup a macro to solo a champion, because killing the champion is one “action” and if it fails, I can have it res me and loop back because the action failed. That’s absurd and a clear violation of the 1:1 rule as there is no single keypress you can normally do to perform these functions I’ve just thrown as examples.

As mtpelion said, using macros essentially as key rebinds is the only real allowed use of a macro.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated