Is it worth it to make a tanky PvE toon?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

so before I get into the details regarding class selection, traits, gear, etc. I would like to know if it is worth it to make a toon that can solo group content. Or do I simply get on the Queensdale champtrain, and thats it? Is soloing other bosses or dungeons a better option? Will it give me more gold or loot per hour?

Ty

enthusiastic noob

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Short answer, no.
Event if you are going to solo content you are most likely better of using zerker gear.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you are just interested in getting rewards as fast as possible then no.

Your best option is to either follow the champ train or speed run dungeons and for both of those a full DPS glass cannon/beserker build is best. The downside to both is that they get extremely boring, especially the champ train and after an hour or so of running around the same area doing the same things you will hit Diminishing Returns, so you’ll need to swap to something else even if you’re not bored.

Alternatively you could cycle through the world bosses or other champions, the downside there being you have to wait for them to appear and (in the case of regular champions) find them.

But if you want to actually play the game instead of just farming it then a tanky character can be useful. Especially if you’re playing with low level or inexperienced people and want to help them out. Higher toughness increases your chance of drawing aggro slightly so it can be useful to protect other players.

Also some people just enjoy playing that way, not killing enemies as quickly but still winning because their opponent just can’t make a dent in them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

for PvE not at all. Just use the minimum survivability you need, and everything should be for more DPS. As you get better you should try to decrease the defensive stats and trait you have with the goal of being 100% DPS.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

for PvE not at all. Just use the minimum survivability you need, and everything should be for more DPS. As you get better you should try to decrease the defensive stats and trait you have with the goal of being 100% DPS.

That’s what I’ve been doing on my thief. I just thought that being able to solo harder content, would give me better rewards. But it seems the only thing it will do is slow me down (compared to the champtrains). And it may be cool to be able to solo champs, but thats just a time sink I guess.

Anyway, ty guys for the help

enthusiastic noob