Is magic find worth it when farming?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: BToTheFifth.5834

BToTheFifth.5834

I was wondering if the payoff of magic find is worth the fact that you have to sacrifice stats that allow you to kill mobs faster for it. Magic find gear ultimately makes you kill monsters at a slower pace; is it worth it?
Edit: I am fairly new and don’t have a mf set yet.

Posted by: Zire.8540

Zire.8540

yes, totally worth it
but only if you are focused. What i mean is, if you really need tons of materials, or rare weapons, magic find will help you.

you start to notice the effect of magic find when you get 25% or above.

for example, when i got to Gendarran fields for the first time, and i killed fireflies y barely got 2 or 3 small venom sacks, but today, trying to get my daily 50 kills, i got around 20, and a rare dye, and i had 56% of magic find at the moment, if you get a full set of magic find you can achieve around 85% of it.

so in my opinion is worth it, but you should try it anyway to see if it fits you

sorry for the long post and for the weird grammar or typos, english is not my main language XD

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

I have about 125% MF unbuffed. It definitely helps. I like zire’s example, I was bored waiting for Shadow Behemoth today, and decided to AoE some fireflies down, and I got a ridiculous number of venom sacs. You don’t even need to invest in exotic or rare MF, my set is green and it gives the exact same MF as better armors.

Dps is nice for killing things, but in group settings like events or dungeons, you only need to do enough damage to tag the mob. Compared to MF at something like 125%, there is no way dps gear is going to help you kill mobs 125% faster than MF gear. Most MF gear has offensive stats anyway. You’re really only sacrificing defense, and unless you’re really bad you shouldn’t be killed by farm mobs.

Besides I’m pretty sure the Diminishing Returns are related to how many mobs you kill, I think MF is the answer to squeezing the most value out of your regular drop periods.

Also buy MF food. It is definitely worth it and usually has some sort of offensive stat to help you kill things faster anyway. Don’t buy ridiculous omnomberry bars though they’re pretty expensive. Those are mostly for the gold find which only really pays for the food if you’re really into killing things hardcore at the time like huge waves of mobs at an event or power-clearing dungeons.

People hating on MF are just jealous they can’t have maximum stats to melt all the faces AND the loot the other people are getting. They eat a piece of food and see that with their grand total of a lousy +32% MF they don’t see better loot in the short term and decide the whole concept is worthless. Kittens to them, better selling prices for me.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Some people argue yes and some people argue no. A lot can be accredited to personal experience and people wanting to make assumptions.

I don’t think there has been a large amount of data gathered so we can’t say for sure, and just have to assume the coding is correct and that Anet is telling us the truth =)

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I personally dont see its value as a stat . I would rather buff my vitality or precision than roll a D20 on a loot table

Posted by: Wesley Of Florin.2150

Wesley Of Florin.2150

I personally dont see its value as a stat . I would rather buff my vitality or precision than roll a D20 on a loot table

Better than rolling a D100, no?

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

When you factor in the time to run between enemies, respawn rate, cooldowns, and so on, the difference in stats really only affects your survivability—and even then, it isn’t necessarily by a lot.

I tend to run with my wife—I have a MF set and she does not. I hit 500 salvages last month when she was approaching 300. While not a scientific study, it is a pretty decent indicator that it works.

I want to say that, in most content that I would consider “farmed” it takes a few seconds to run between enemies and not much longer to kill them. When you factor in skill cooldowns, respawn rates, time between kills, risk of death, etc…. the kill rate doesn’t change a lot as long as you’re good with managing the risk aspect.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Better than rolling a D100, no?

Funny you say that cause i almost used that in my example but figured too few people would know what it was over a D20

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Its completely based on opinion. Personally I find it useless now and if you honestly want some sort of magic find boost, Omnomberry Bars are fine. I have 4 fully speced 80’s and my warrior was in complete magic find exotics getting 200% mf with buffs. Of course I ran this back when Orr was easily farmable with plinx/shelt/pent but even though I saw an increase, it was not as large as one would expect with such a large amount of Mf. I have long since gotten rid of the gear and run regular gear so that I can be efficient in dungeons and events. Even without the mf gear, I find myself finding good drops.

Säïnt

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i use 2 sets, one with a bit of magic find and one with not. the magic find set is not full but even if less tha 100% magica find, i have barely 65% i notice a difference both in quality and quantity.
when i farm with my boyfriend and he uses his magic find set (he has more magic find than me) i can also see the difference between us.
in an hour in frost gorge for corrupted lodestone he found 3 i found 2

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

Its completely based on opinion. Personally I find it useless now and if you honestly want some sort of magic find boost, Omnomberry Bars are fine. I have 4 fully speced 80’s and my warrior was in complete magic find exotics getting 200% mf with buffs. Of course I ran this back when Orr was easily farmable with plinx/shelt/pent but even though I saw an increase, it was not as large as one would expect with such a large amount of Mf. I have long since gotten rid of the gear and run regular gear so that I can be efficient in dungeons and events. Even without the mf gear, I find myself finding good drops.

IF you are talking about exotics MF does help it is just to such a small degree that is where opinion comes in. Say a exotics price has a .01% chance of dropping and you have enough MF to double that. NOW you have a .02% chance of getting it which is better but is it worth it.

You should pull in more greens and yellows though, that is where MF really shines since they have much higher drop rates, your doubling 15% to 30% per say.

Posted by: samski.5194

samski.5194

In my oppinion its not worth it, I rather just standard gear and run with an omnomberry bar.

I run this route with just the food buff and make around 6g an hour a guildie runs with a full MF set and makes around 6G75S and hour in a group solo he makes about the same so I guess you just have to decide what path you want to go….

With this next run we both make about the same even in a group with him in full MF….