Is this name allowed? :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Fatum.5430

Fatum.5430

I would love to make a thief, and name it Ray Park lol If you know who that is great! if not

He’s my favorite action movie fighter and amazingly talented, when i see the way the thief (esp dual daggers) moves I thought of going with this name but wasn’t sure…
meanwhile my thief is already 30 and rising… so I’ll have to make a 2nd lol O_o they are fun tho.. so worth it

So long and thanks for all the fish, too bad it had to come to this.

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

Why would you think it would not be allowed?

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I would be very surprised if that name isn’t already taken.

Posted by: Fatum.5430

Fatum.5430

Wesley, some games prohibit using names of celebrities for characters, or making any likeness to them, I played CO and if your character looked too much like any known characters they were removed

So long and thanks for all the fish, too bad it had to come to this.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Why would you think it would not be allowed?

I could be mistaken but earlier in the game’s history, towards release, people were getting banned for making copyrighted names. In that case, I feel his question is quite appropriate. We are all very aware of how easy it is to get yourself permbanned in this game (far moreso than any other), so being 100% sure before you do ANYTHING that could come close to having that happen is a wise thing indeed.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

If you have to ask yourself that question… anyway:

We do not permit names that:

Reference religious or historical figures.
Reference real-life people.
Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.
Use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Now Mr know-it-all may troll in and state that names cannot be copyrighted, which may be true, but it doesn’t matter because it’s not a legal issue but simply ANet’s rules.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Now Mr know-it-all may troll in and state that names cannot be copyrighted, which may be true, but it doesn’t matter because it’s not a legal issue but simply ANet’s rules.

Considering you quoted the rule saying names can’t be copyrighted, I think it’s a little more than “may be true”. lol

Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

Aha, only thought “inappropriate” names were not allowed, so I guess all accounts with characters referencing to Chuck Norris can expect the ban-hammer any time now? :P

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

then all those names from animes and cartoons, such pinkie pie and naruto, would get ban hammer too?

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

“Will be banned” and “technically violates the rules so you could eventually be asked to change the name” are very different things.

A name that breaks the rules may never be noticed by the powers that be, or one day your number may be up. It’s just one of those luck of the draw things.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

then all those names from animes and cartoons, such pinkie pie and naruto, would get ban hammer too?

Those are all taken ;P

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

I kinda wanna make a Water Ele named Sailor Neptune now. ;P

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Theres a lot of names which fit in the ‘’technically violates the rules so you could eventually be asked to change the name’’ description and by a lot i really mean it, especially names which arent from USA, animes names are just too frequent.

From celebrities, to trademark such anime/cartoons, even drink or sport stuff. Even materials such esmerald or diamond, i mean those make reference to something. That rule makes no sense at all, they probably dont want you to make propaganda about something…but we arent marketing agents, i will clearly dont care if someone name his char Chuck Norris and would definately not be propaganda because the whole world know him.

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Nah, as long as names aren’t offensive, they’re always allowed.
Here’s an example of A-Net employee using names of copyright stuffs.
And also don’t forget that other A-Net character “Lady Gaga.”

Attachments:

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

I think the key factors here are A) obscurity and B.) plausible deniability. A name like Ray Park could very well be anyone’s name, the actor doesn’t own those two words. OTOH, if your character is Ray Park and he looks exactly like Ray Park the actor, then there’s a good chance (assuming someone recognizes it) that you might have to change it, because you’re actually referencing some other entity. Needless to say, some names are more likely to generate attention than others. Basically the more famous/distinct the name is, the more likely it will get removed.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

JemL.3501

Boy i hope those would i would get so annoyed with all the pony names running around that show obession is way too much.

Then you’d get naruto narutoo naruuto and so on and pinkie pie, pinky pie, pinkey pie and so on just like legolas people.

(edited by Thomassassinate.9370)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Look at it this way. While it says it is against the rules, don’t expect them to enforce it.

Anet doesn’t stand around scanning names all day long to find out if you are violating the rules. They kind of work off the “Good Samaritan” act. If players find a name offensive or in violation of the rules, they expect you to report the name. Only after they have received enough reports of the name in question, do they take action.

And judging by their own use of popular/trademark/copyright names, I’m pretty sure you will be safe using that name. Unless of course they want to be labeled as hypocrites for violating their own rules, but banning others for doing the same.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]