Issues with target priority

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: mikal.9502

mikal.9502

So in WVW and get attacked. Hit tab to target…..does it target the guy attacking me? Nope it targets the deadly white rabbit sitting on the side of the road. Dam click click, try to target again…..now I have targeted the yellow doe eating some grass… click click dead.

Bad enough to have these things in the game but to make them the first thing select as an “enemy” is the dumbest thing ever. Bravo Anet.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I don’t know which targeting option you have mapped to ‘tab’ but I’m fairly certain that none of them ever target ambient creatures.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i think you can only get ambient creatures if you have some weird autotarget + promote skill target + target next at the same time.

bind “target nearest enemy” to tab

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I don’t know which targeting option you have mapped to ‘tab’ but I’m fairly certain that none of them ever target ambient creatures.

This, I’ll agree that their targeting system is wonky at best but I’ve ever had it target bunnies. I wouldn’t complain though, they still haven’t figure out how to make a properly functioning Queue system, why would you be surprised that the targeting doesn’t work as it should.

Posted by: Razamatazz.9628

Razamatazz.9628

As others have said mikal, definitely check what you have set tab for. My tab is only set target enemies, I can’t target ambient creatures without clicking on them.

Lydeah – 80 Mesmer
Lorynne – 80 Guardian
[PB] – NSP

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

Anet’s definition of “nearest” varies wildly for each situation. Sometimes it means the most powerful foe (i.e a champ) sometimes it is the enemy directly in front of you, not necessarily the nearest. Other times it just seems plain random. I just keep spamming the target key until whichever target I’m looking for pops up, or when all else fails, click to target. shudder

GW1 targeting system worked flawlessly i.e nearest and next target actually worked as expected.

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I don’t have a select the wrong target problem as much as the inability to easily clear target. Having to click a random location to untarget is sometimes quite costly when that random click lands on a random mob.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Yeah it never quite targets what you were expecting it to target. Unless that’s the only enemy in the area then it’s a pretty safe bet it will.

BG

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

tageting has become more difficult imo.

hardly get to target tab trough enemies anymore because a little bush or small elevation is in the way obstructing my targets.

I am not sure what the range of targeting is , but i feel it’s too small.

if i am on the bottom of the stairs and If 3 enemies are standing on a stairs I hardly get to target the 2 players stading higher up the stairs.. but always seem to switch between nearest and any creatures around on my level.

yes targeting system is broken in many ways..
same way how you can almost never target anything without clicking.. (too bad clicking is pretty broken too )

but hey maybe we will see a fix..
like they will fix kicking partymembers in wvw.. XD

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

So in WVW and get attacked. Hit tab to target…..does it target the guy attacking me? Nope it targets the deadly white rabbit sitting on the side of the road.

You changed something, normally ambient creatures are not tab targeted.
Use “target nearest”, if not already mapped, do it now. Also, call you own target, even when solo, that way you can get back to them with a single key. Get these right for yourself on your keyboard, they are vital.

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

The targeting system in this game is all kittenedup. I didn’t really master it until I had to face Liadri. And it took them a whole year to add tool tips to the various options. Actually in WvW I don’t use any targeting option just to make sure I don’t target anything while attempting to flee from an approaching Zerg.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Since my mouse pointer tends to be in the area of my screen where the enemies I’m worried about often are (for ground targeting and the like) I’ve found it much quicker and simpler to click the enemy directly.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

It feels to me like the targeting system has broken sometime in the last couple months or so. It used to seem to prioritize targets that were directly in front, or front/center on your screen.

Now I can have 3 people right in front of me on my screen and 30 off in the distance or even off my screen above the viewport, and I have to tab 10+ times to get one of those three targeted. Sometimes I just say eff-it and use my mouse to click one.