Ive just bought the game

Ive just bought the game

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: OnMyGrind.3068

OnMyGrind.3068

Hello Ive just bought the game because ive heard so many good things about it. Im currently lvl 20 now but throughout the whole time i was playing i havent seen a single person. The sever staus says its high population but I do see why when everywhere is a ghost town. Am i missing something?

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

pretty much everyone is in Lion’s Arch (more or less the capital city i guess)/doing the big boss events that give chests/ or in WvWvW

edit: pretty much the only low level zone that you’ll see people in is Queensdale for easy events (though this really depends on the server)

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

(edited by hamsteak.1368)

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

You are missing the max level zone-funneling present in the living story. Everyone is probably at Zephyr Sanctum.

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Hello Ive just bought the game because ive heard so many good things about it. Im currently lvl 20 now but throughout the whole time i was playing i havent seen a single person. The sever staus says its high population but I do see why when everywhere is a ghost town. Am i missing something?

Server status doesn’t indicate how many people linked their accounts to that server. A full server could be the least populated one at any given time.
The game has been out awhile, and a lot of people have leveled and stick around the zones they like. I would recommend that you join Tarnished Coast, as it is the most populated server on US that I have found. Mid level zones have people around. You won’t see a lot of people, but you will usually run into a person or two every few minutes.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

What server are you on? What times of day do you generally play?

A living story event just launched, many players are participating in that right now as well.

Jade Quarry and Tarnished Coast seem to be the most PvE active servers in the US. You can guest to those servers if you want to see more players. In particular, Queensdale (the human starting zone) and the surrounding zones are usually very crowded.

Welcome to the game!

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Welcome to the game.

One of two things has happened. You have gotten on a server somehow that has the total opposite schedule you do (EU on US server, US on EU server), or you are playing in the Norn starting area.

The other areas that you would be in…Queensdale, Celadon, Metrica, Kessex, Plains of Ashford, Diessa plateau…are considerably populated almost all of the time anyways, but particularly now that Krtya and Ascalon have event meta achievements going on.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Crap wasn’t fast enough to beat out all the trolls. Something important to keep in mind while reading these forums. There is no sub, so people that left the game months ago and no longer play can still post and try to ruin the game for other people. I would suggest talking to players in game and avoiding the forums.

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

Crap wasn’t fast enough to beat out all the trolls. Something important to keep in mind while reading these forums. There is no sub, so people that left the game months ago and no longer play can still post and try to ruin the game for other people. I would suggest talking to players in game and avoiding the forums.

? no one in this thread so far was giving any misinformation

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

To answer your question, your experience is determined by the server, time and current event.

Right now everybody is doing the living story and so certain areas will be less populated. Then combine with the fact that the time you play and the server also affects whether or not you encounter players or not. The great thing about this game is you can guest on a different server which also causes the population on certain servers to be lower than usual.

Server status doesn’t indicate how many people linked their accounts to that server. A full server could be the least populated one at any given time.
The game has been out awhile, and a lot of people have quit the game since then. I would recommend that you join Tarnished Coast, as it is the only populated server on US that I have found. Mid level zones have people around. You won’t see a lot of people, but you will usually run into a person or two every few minutes.

I would say you avoid opinions from guys like these because especially in HIS case said individual has been whining about the game BEFORE it was even in BETA. (which makes you wonder why it would buy the game in the first place).

Not to say the game is perfect, but if you are complaining about a game even before it is release you know the opinion of the individual should be taken lightly.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

What server are you on? I’ll guest over and show you where everyone is

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Correction- server population is determined not by the number of accounts made on a server, but by the number of people currently playing. So if a server is full, then there are a good number of people populating it, but they tend to be concentrated elsewhere, namely:

-Lion’s Arch, the main city
-Fractals/Dungeons
-Migrating to zones with meta events as they come up
-Labyrinthine Cliffs (the new zone, and the location of a lot of Living Story events and activities)
-Aforementioned Living Story activities
-sPvP/World versus World

The people who are out exploring the other open-world zones tend to congregate on certain servers via guesting (which allows you to play PvE content on other servers with no limit). Most people, from what I see, head to Tarnished Coast for that.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Generally the human areas (Queensdale, Gerredan Fields, Kessex Hills, etc…) are fairly well populated.

I see many less people in the Charr and Norn areas. So if you play one of those classes that may be what’s going on.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Ive just bought the game

Fernling.1729

Correction- server population is determined not by the number of accounts made on a server, but by the number of people currently playing. So if a server is full, then there are a good number of people populating it, but they tend to be concentrated elsewhere,

Two different Anet employees already said that it doesn’t work that way. It is based on the amount of accounts linked to the server.

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Correction- server population is determined not by the number of accounts made on a server, but by the number of people currently playing. So if a server is full, then there are a good number of people populating it, but they tend to be concentrated elsewhere,

Two different Anet employees already said that it doesn’t work that way. It is based on the amount of accounts linked to the server.

Could I see these posts, out of curiosity? It contradicts what I’ve and others observed:

-On the busiest travel day of the year, I was watching the server list so my friend could transfer to TC. I saw server populations drop nearly across the board- Very High servers dropped to High, and High servers dropped to Medium. Only two servers stayed at Full, those being Jade Quarry and Tarnished Coast. It doesn’t rule out the possibility of a server cap increase, but with every cap increase, all Full servers drop to Very High and remain that way for several weeks.

-Several posters have said that they have seen Tarnished Coast fluctuate to Very High from Full at specific times of day- either noon or the dead of night. I myself have seen TC drop to Very High at 3 in the morning (again for a friend who wanted to transfer), and rise immediately back to Full in seconds. Since these times correlate with when people work or sleep, the most plausible explanation is that people are simply not playing, leaving vacancies on the server.

It doesn’t rule out other factors, but it’s just strange.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Ive just bought the game

Fernling.1729

Could I see these posts, out of curiosity? It contradicts what I’ve and others observed:

-On the busiest travel day of the year, I was watching the server list so my friend could transfer to TC. I saw server populations drop nearly across the board- Very High servers dropped to High, and High servers dropped to Medium. Only two servers stayed at Full, those being Jade Quarry and Tarnished Coast. It doesn’t rule out the possibility of a server cap increase, but with every cap increase, all Full servers drop to Very High and remain that way for several weeks.

-Several posters have said that they have seen Tarnished Coast fluctuate to Very High from Full at specific times of day- either noon or the dead of night. I myself have seen TC drop to Very High at 3 in the morning (again for a friend who wanted to transfer), and rise immediately back to Full in seconds. Since these times correlate with when people work or sleep, the most plausible explanation is that people are simply not playing, leaving vacancies on the server.

Heres the first time they said it. They clarified more the second time. I don’t have time to look for it now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first

Ive just bought the game

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Heres the first time they said it. They clarified more the second time. I don’t have time to look for it now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first

From Gaile Gray:

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Support Liaison
Here’s some information on server capacity, straight from our team lead, Stephen:
People actually do change servers, so some Full servers become Very High just from people moving around.
We continuously monitor the World populations and make adjustments, but there is no scheduled update period. It depends on demand for particular worlds and how much people move around and (don’t forget) how many new players join specific worlds.
We frequently adjust the World population caps just before events, but that’s not guaranteed.
So there may be adjustments made as or even before Wintersday gets into full swing — it will happen if needed. But those adjustments are a normal thing and from what I’ve seen, the team is watching the World every day, so the near-daily adjustment could be so subtle you don’t notice them as frequently as they happen.
Somehow I think the Wintersday event will be so exciting that the capacities will be raised, and count on the team to do that if it’s needed.
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet
December 14th 2012, 13:26