Just bought game, never played an mmo before, any newbie tips?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kentaro.9537

Kentaro.9537

Hey guys, still downloading game and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions, even if they might be painfully obvious to most mmo players lol. Thanks

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

Suggestions to what exactly?

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Kentaro.9537

Kentaro.9537

I guess how to get involved in multiplayer content like the errr raids or something

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

The best advice anyone can give is the following

1) find a play style you like and stick with it .

2 ) Ask alot of questions . We dont bite ……. much

3 ) Find a Guild. even if you solo more than you play in a group being in a guild is always a good idea as they will be willing to help you out with items ,questions events etc more than a pug would.

If you want a contrast for starting classes Guardian Elementalist and Engineer would be the first 3 as they all have very different play styles and cover all the armor classes which should give you an idea of what you like and what you dont

hmmm….that word raid ….hmmmm . I assume you mean Dynamic Events you pretty much just run into them and follow the instructions for it till ya get a metal

(edited by Adine.2184)

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

Well, first off, this is a must read: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/first (it is stickied on top of this forum also)

Just remember when playing MMO, the other players are actually human at the other end of the terminal (OK, except bots. But that’s another story … ). Treat them as you would want to be treated. And don’t feel shy about chatting in zone (map) or asking questions. Even if you don’t get response straightaway, don’t feel discouraged. Just don’t spam the channels lol.

As for participating in raids and stuff – actually this game makes it easy to just jump in and participate in dynamic events with other players. Other than that, it is not difficult to level from 1 to 80 soloing all the way. Dungeon runs are really optional.

Lastly, join a guild.

(edited by Yramrag.3026)

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i’m assuming you mean Orr runes? specifically cursed shore? i was new to MMOs before GW2, so i don’t even really know what raids are (ha), though from what i’ve heard, gw2 doesn’t have the “standard” raids that MMOs (or WoW) offers.

i’d say, if this is the case, just get in the world of Tyria and indulge yourself. take your time learning the mechanics of the game, while exploring. on each map, do all hearts, gather PoI’s and vistas for experience and completion of maps (which also gives nice rewards). try to find a guild that have people on at similar hours to you, and do similar things as you – whether it be exploration, WvW, dungeon runs, farming runs, etc…

i didn’t truly start exploring what my class could do until i hit level 30. i didn’t start looking into a specific build or theorycrafting or my gear and weapons until i hit level 80. don’t be afraid to ask out in map chat for groups if you’re looking for one. talk to people. if you find a good group, add them and stick with them and hopefully you’ll be able to form a good party to always work and run with : )))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zaber.5609

Zaber.5609

If you need any help, just give me a whisper and I’ll answer you if I’m on.

Posted by: Llywellyn.4635

Llywellyn.4635

move and dodge thats mainly what you have to do

survive till the enemy goes down

learn how to move, just dont stay in one position

regardless of the class youre going to choose

sorry for any grammer and/or spelling mistakes
english isnt my native language

Posted by: Ren.7539

Ren.7539

OP must be having a blast as never came back lol