Keep some stuff away from forums

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: rebellion.2473

rebellion.2473

Hello.
As i noticed,some use forums as a tool for negative speech,unconstructive “feedback”,and worst of all,political and ideological beliefs

Please try not to post such stuff,it hurts us as community and Anet devs.
I really want to see us as community evolve into more jolly and happy group,not a bitter group.
Like myself,there are probably a lot of people who want to help Anet in watching over boards and making sure we dont have bad repbas a community.
Thank you for your attention and i hope you wont turn this topic in another murder fest.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Good luck. Won’t work though. A plea like this only works for those who normally don’t post negative speech, nonconstructive feedback or ideological/political beliefs. Those who make negative, non constructive posts or inflammatory political/ideological posts don’t think they are wrong. In addition, trolls who make “hot topic” threads to get a lot of posts don’t care about being reasonable and constructive. They only want to troll and get people riled up, probably because they’re bored.

If they cross the forum rules, report them. That’s all you can do.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The best way to “vote” against such threads is to not participate in them. It won’t solve the problem of course but by not participating you are not encouraging it either.

The Burninator

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah, you’re right. However other people do post and sometimes you might want to respond to what they say.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

The only real solution is to just not participate in talks you don’t want to discuss. This is a public forum, and is open to public topics. There’s no need to censor things to that degree. Just accept that sometimes people talk about things you don’t want to talk about. But you don’t have to participate.

On the same note, don’t be discouraged to disagree with said topic. They can voice their opinions, and you share the same right.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Hello.
As i noticed,some use forums as a tool for negative speech,unconstructive “feedback”,and worst of all,political and ideological beliefs

I really want to see us as community evolve into more jolly and happy group,not a bitter group.
Like myself,there are probably a lot of people who want to help Anet in watching over boards and making sure we dont have bad repbas a community.
Thank you for your attention and i hope you wont turn this topic in another murder fest.

This is the internet,.your wishes have about as much chance of coming true as I do at winning the lottery, and I don’t buy tickets.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Talk about opening a can of worms.

Okay, ill bite here, as someone that hasnt exactly had alot of good to say about Gw2 in the last year or so, ill say this, the negativity and anger isnt unfairly founded. Theres a large number of the community right now that are dying to see new content, new previews, new something, and they are being denied even a smidgeon of interesting developments since were being told to be content with what we have. The problem is, what we have, isnt good enough to alot of people.

Its not “unfair” to be angry about that, or want to see some semblance of care from the developers, its not our responsibility as consumers, to keep the game running and make content for it, our job, is to enjoy the game by purchasing it, and extra content for it, if we feel that we are satisfied by the content purchase and the subsequent enjoyment we can gleam from it.

The Consumer is a voracious animal that demands more than it can ever have in a single-life-time, sadly, A-net shot itself in the foot with Living Story because now we almost “expect” content to be spoonfed to us every two weeks even in small chunks.

Because it was A-net in the first place, that dug themselves into that pit by creating the expectation people would actually be given content on demand.

So is it wrong to be a bit unfair, harsh, biased? Not really, what would be good is an explination, answers, maybe even teasers to new content, even if its just a concept art, a small nudge or wink towards a future living story update.

We like to have “hype” and “hype” is what keeps a game going and its community happy.

So until A-net gives us something to actually hype about, theres going to be a repetative theme of dismality and difficulty trusting the word of the content creator since it offers us nothing to hope for but promises that something “is” comming.

What? We will have to just wait and see and cross our fingers it was worth the wait.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Hello.

Your crappy post offends my democratic christian beliefs! /s

Truth be told, just submit reports and/or ignore such posts/threads and move on to things that arent those.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

It isn’t fair to ask people not to discuss certain topics because you don’t like the topics. If you feel it doesn’t belong on the forums then flag the post, and then pretend the thread doesn’t exist.

This is what I do. I’ve been infracted in the past at least once or twice because I disagreed with what someone said and my post wasn’t so nice. It’s not worth worrying about it or getting yourself into trouble.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: rebellion.2473

rebellion.2473

I am sorry,some of you seem to misunderstood me.My fault
I am perfectly fine with a well constructed opinions even if i don’t agree with them,as a part of feedback,that is really nice and helpful,but not ones such as “Dont buy HoT because i got max mastery in 2 weeks although i got too much spare time” or "this sucks! Heres why: I dont like it! " or similar.
Even worse are political and ideological,which are the worst of all and cause fights.Example is that “transgender” one which seems a troll but now it became a killing field already.
If you want to call something bad in the game,use facts,proof,or similar,not an opinion that sounds like a grudge against Anet for generations to come (get the reference)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

This is funny…

No negative feedback please, because that obviously never gets anything fixed and the Developers never know what is effecting their customer base..

So the game stagnates forever because everyone lets be positive even if the game has many issues.

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

I do what I want!!!

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

I get your point rebellion but I think you shoulda just avoided this topic in the first place, the reality is the forum isnt exactly the happy place where people go to share great stories and good times. Its basically Sh*tposters valley where alot of people just go to rage at how they dont feel satisfaction at the game.

Many of the opinions compiling admittingly are non constructive and dont offer a suggestion as to what a-net could do to improove the situation which is why I purposefully construct arguments which are intended to offer advise to A-net as to what they “can” do.

What I think you should really have put here is a topic suggesting “how” best to interact with A-net in regards to offering feedback.

This is what ill say in regards to that:

1. Be constructive, dont just rage.

If you have something to say, by all means say it, if in your opinion there is content in the game that doesnt appeal to you, thats fine, but dont just say “I dont like this” come up with a rational proposal as to what the developers could potentially do, im sure they will adapt the idea into something more suitable to their own design philosophy but they “may” hear your words if you speak rationally enough on the matter.

2. If you insist on bringing up a political agenda, make sure you realize not everyone agrees with you on it.

Political affairs are one of the core reasons so many people on the internet these days start fires because someone says “pro this” or “anti that” and suddenly everyones in arms about it one way or another.

The honest truth is, people will never completley agree to be equal because there will always be one side wanting more than the other, no matter what gender/sexual prefference/religion or ideal you follow.

What we need is a world of tolerance, acceptance of difference, rather than wanting to immerse each other into it, we need to accept the boundries we create between each other and agree to “not” cross them.

This is a far more realistic outcome than forcing agendas on people to make them change, because believe me, it actually creates the adverse effect when you push something in someones face.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

… This is a public forum, and is open to public topics…

Incorrect. This is a private forum run by Arenanet. Within such a forum they have complete control over the topics and what can and can’t be said. Certain types of discussions are prohibited, as listed in the forum rules (RL Politics for example).
The main reason those types of threads exist (like the one currently on the front page) is because the mods either aren’t at work, or are choosing to not enforce the rules.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I think (and again, just my opinion here) the OP was meaning political issues, not gameplay issues?
I can understand the ‘want’ of not seeing negative feedback on a forum, but some times it is very necessary for the creators and developers of this game to ‘see’ their customers reactions to certain mechanics…so they can get feed back on how to proceed with fixes, improvements, ect.

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: EvilTwin.4125

EvilTwin.4125

Hello.

It’s awful when you make a comment on something then have five or six people jump all over you as though you initiated a personal attack on them. It’s happened to me, when I first started using the forums, and unfortunately I reacted rather badly (much to my shame). I even misinterpreted something someone said and started quite a growling match, though that person and I later apologized to each other.

As for the “political and ideological beliefs”, fortunately and unfortunately, people do that in real life. It comes up in conversation, and the forums ARE conversation. Though that doesn’t always necessitate it; some people just aren’t that good at gauging whether it’s appropriate at the time or not. Best thing to do is roll your eyes, forgive them and move on to something else.

(edited by EvilTwin.4125)

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Hello.

I can’t help but think that this itself is an ideological belief Particularly an extension of the moral relativistic duty that sees expression of “ideology” of any kind (though usually it is targeted against one side) as wrong. So wrong, in fact, that it should be censured. Therein lies a cruel irony. Telling other people not to express their beliefs is itself a belief that is being expressed.

Lesson of the day: nobody who actually believes something will call it a “belief”. They refer to it, both outwardly and inwardly, as fact. So really, you’re telling everybody not to express facts that are inconvenient for Anet, and likely yourself.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Hello.

I can’t help but think that this itself is an ideological belief Particularly an extension of the moral relativistic duty that sees expression of “ideology” of any kind (though usually it is targeted against one side) as wrong. So wrong, in fact, that it should be censured. Therein lies a cruel irony. Telling other people not to express their beliefs is itself a belief that is being expressed.

Lesson of the day: nobody who actually believes something will call it a “belief”. They refer to it, both outwardly and inwardly, as fact. So really, you’re telling everybody not to express facts that are inconvenient for Anet, and likely yourself.

I refer to my beliefs as beliefs all the time.

On topic, people are people. You can’t take negative people and make them positive because you want a positive community. You can’t take people who care deeply about something and expect them not to get angry.

Just stay away from the offending threads and move on. You can’t change human nature.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

we are humans, and social/political issues impact every corner of our lives.
Media is also a great way to show social issues and help better us as a society. People were also against people of color being used on movies and TV back then, it’s exactly the same that now. Unless you’re specifically talking about political candidates or something like that. social issues are part of media, and games, specially MMOs.

Charrbeque.8729

Well that escalated quickly.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

we are humans, and social/political issues impact every corner of our lives.
Media is also a great way to show social issues and help better us as a society. People were also against people of color being used on movies and TV back then, it’s exactly the same that now. Unless you’re specifically talking about political candidates or something like that. social issues are part of media, and games, specially MMOs.

Disagree strongly. Unless an MMO is set in a era and a world approximating our own real world, there is no basis for Social issues unrelated to the game world. Tyria has very few of our social issues, and if it does, example Charr and Human racial separatists, it is portrayed in Tyrian terms.

Introducing hotly debated social issues to a game that does not inherently have them can only lead to actual polarization of the real people behind the keys. We don’t need that.

We are inundated by our Real world social issues in every form of media. We are not unaware of them. Our social and ideological opinions are formed outside of the game, and should remain there for the most part. There is no consensus as to what is a “better society”. A devout Baptist will give you a very different view than an Athiest Marxist… but both should feel comfortable in Tyria. It is a fictional society, and one that was created without the minority injustices of our own society, for the most part.

Let Tyria be Tyria. A refuge from the divisiveness and hashtag crusades of our real society.

Please note that I am trying to avoid picking a side here, and that includes my own ideological beliefs regarding RL social issues.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The best way to “vote” against such threads is to not participate in them. It won’t solve the problem of course but by not participating you are not encouraging it either.

Yep, I pretty much avoid trouble threads, like that 5-6 page thread that was just locked today. Don’t need more drama in my life.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Ironically (and I believe, unintentionally), this thread ended up doing exactly what the OP was trying to avoid: people going off on their personal hobby horses that are tangentially related to the first post and/or to the game.

If you want to help threads to remain constructive: ignore posts that go off topic. Respond to the issues raised in the OP, if you have something new to offer.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i feel like the only people who would read ops post and maybe go along with it are people who would already have gone along with it

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

coso.9173

the thing is when people claim they want real lfe issues to stay outside of gw2 or any mmos, they are either ignorant or just deliberately lying. gw2 is already filled with real life issues. war, poverty, political manipulation, love, relationships, are all real life issues, but no one cares about that, only certain topics are considered unwanted real life issues…
all fantasy humans create will always have real life issues, we mimic what we live and experience. sure, there are no dragons in real life, but what dragons cause in tyria is a reflection of what other things cause in real life.

Charrbeque.8729

Ironically (and I believe, unintentionally), this thread ended up doing exactly what the OP was trying to avoid: people going off on their personal hobby horses that are tangentially related to the first post and/or to the game.

If you want to help threads to remain constructive: ignore posts that go off topic. Respond to the issues raised in the OP, if you have something new to offer.

Yep. Asking people not to argue is asking for an argument.

Funny how this thread was moved from general discussion to “players helping players”. Talk about ironic. Some of us are in need of help (and probably medication) lol.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

the thing is when people claim they want real lfe issues to stay outside of gw2 or any mmos, they are either ignorant or just deliberately lying. gw2 is already filled with real life issues. war, poverty, political manipulation, love, relationships, are all real life issues, but no one cares about that, only certain topics are considered unwanted real life issues…
all fantasy humans create will always have real life issues, we mimic what we live and experience. sure, there are no dragons in real life, but what dragons cause in tyria is a reflection of what other things cause in real life.

You could have made your statement without characterizing people who have another opinion as “Ignorant” or “Liars”. And that is the polarization I was alluding to.

Is that Tolerance? Seriously?

Tyria has tyrian issues. You can be whatever advocate you want in context. Plea for forgiveness and understanding of the Mordrem. Advocate breaking Tengu xenophobia. Advocate for the plight of the forgotten Canthan and Elonian cultures. Protest that the Charr’s racist genocide needs a formal apology and reparations.

Contextually, you can’t occupy Wall Street. There isn’t one here. I suppose you could rail against the power and monopoly of the Black Lion Trading Co, but I don’t think Anet would be amused, and it really is just a mechanic and not Corporate abuse.

You would have a hard time advocating Traditional Feminism in Tyria, GW1 launched without roles, glass ceilings, disfranchisement, and had Women in prominent roles throughout, including the Military. Tyria has never had a problem with gender or gender roles, except for the Charr patriarchy we never saw and has already been dealt with. To bring that kind of advocacy in game would require injecting some sort of discrimination to advocate against. Why do that?

You could try to bring Black Lives Matter in. However, I don’t recall a single episode of racism based on color. Yes, we had the Canthan xenophobia and Isolationism, but it was directed at all Non Canthans. LA Guards are not shooting young Elonians. Elonians don’t appear to be victims of economic segregation. Elonians have not been barred from any organization. So why inject all that in order to advocate? Joko is the Elonian problem and oppressor.

The lesson in Jory and Kasmeer isn’t them. The lesson is a Tyrian society that didn’t care. Nobody refused to bake them a cake, threatened them with eternal kitten ation, fired them, disowned them, hid their children from them or any of the other things our world did. Why bring those struggles for acceptance to Tyria?

I could do a dozen examples and it would be pointless unless you understand Context.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

coso.9173

Being ignorant about a specific issue is not an insult. there are lots of things that I’m ignorant about, cars, mechanics, advanced economics, straight people, etc…
but it’s true that either people don’t realize that the game is already filled with real life issues, or just decide to ignore the other real life issues and complain about a specific one.
Of course if I talk about specific real life issues, like the war between israel an palestine, it has no place in GW2, but talking about wars in general is an issue that has its place in the game. Same about transgender, talking about Caitlin Jenner has no place, but transgender people in GW2 exist, and therefore it is part of the game too.

(edited by coso.9173)

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Hello.

I refer to my beliefs as beliefs all the time.

You stated that as a matter of fact. >.>

Anyway, as much as I’d hate to say it, social issues make it into GW2 all of the time. It is actually quite rare for a work of fiction to not be some type of allegory or metaphor or platform for the ideals of the person making it. This is because the beliefs of a person are not “beliefs”, they are the facts to that person. So when they write the story, the evils of an overarching government play out as seamlessly as gravity.

The world created by Anet in itself expresses a set of worldviews, and often times acts as a platform for which to express their views. This isn’t just true on a story level, but on a mechanical level:

#1: GW2 classes were designed initially so that any class could fulfill any role, letting you play how you want. Every player was their own tank/heal/dps.
#2: The reward structure for most of the game was initially designed to be equally rewarding regardless of what level you were, where you played, and what you did. Drops and rewards were largely homogenized throughout the game to make sure whatever you do is equally rewarding.
#3: PVP was standardized to prevent inequality outside gains through any method.
#4: The gear prefixes were balanced in such a way that you could complete content wearing any kind of tier appropriate armor you wanted.
#5: The content was initially designed so that any grouping of 5 classes could complete it, letting you play with whomever you want.
#6: Exotic gear, the maximum gear, was set as both the standard and the cap, and made easily obtainable, making it so vast disparities in wealth didn’t matter.

Now, lets break it down to the ideals that found these decisions:

#1: Everyone should get to be who they want
#2: Because all “who’s” are (or should) end up equal
#3: You cannot be unequal in any way
#4: No matter how it is that you play
#5: And everybody should play with everybody else, no judgements.
#6: And it doesn’t matter how rich you are or where you come from (cash to gem conversion), everyone peaks at the same place in the end.

Basically the game was initially designed to be a hippy dream. It both embodied a lot of far-left ideals, as well as was made to be counter-culturally designed against the current MMO establishment. Now, these design decisions have some failings, of which only a few I elaborate on in that link, so GW2 has moved mechanically away from how it was at launch, but the people working there haven’t moved ideologically.

Never forget: Arenanet is an ideal driven company.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.