Know a better way to farm gold?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Eethy.6421

Eethy.6421

I’m trying to save up gold to buy ingredients for an Ascended Backpiece.

The fastest way I’ve found is to go to Orr, particularly around Meddler’s Waypoint, and run around killing the Risen as fast as I can.

They drop Heavy Moldy Bags, which sell for around 6 to 9 Silver. The Bags are the main money maker, but there’s also the incidental weapons/armor drops you can salvage and other odds and ends. I’ve learned not to bother opening the bags.

I’m on a lvl 80 Thief. I’m traited for basically perma swiftness, so that helps things along.

It seems to help if I eat Zesty Turnip Soup (20% Magic Find). It’s hard to tell for sure if it really makes a difference, though. And the Soup is kind of expensive, so don’t always use it.

I seem to make about 1-2 gold an hour doing that.

And, to my surprise, for me at least, it this Orr mob killing actually works out better than Dungeons, Champs, or even World Bosses.

I’m not the world’s leading expert, though. I’d be curious to know if someone else has a better method and what it is.

Posted by: Kodiak.4213

Kodiak.4213

At the risk of sounding like a broken record; the Silverwastes is probably one of the better ways to make money in pve. Between the boss events and chest farms, you can rack up lots of rares and salvage all of your blues/greens for bookoo crafting materials and essences of luck. Not to mention plenty of dust/dragonite/empyrial fragments/obsidian shards to help in your crafting of ascended/legendary items. Lots of T6 as well. One round of chest running can net well over the 1-2 gold per hour you currently get running around in orr.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In no particular order, these are all effective methods of earning gold:

• Silverwastes: chest trains, especially with a good commander (who knows where to pause and when to taxi).
  • Silverwastes: jumping maps for breach/vine.
  • Silverwastes: tagging events.
  • Running the “usual” dungeons, at 1g or more per path.
  • Chasing world bosses.
  • Frostgorge Champ Train
  • Using gw2shinies.com to boost wealth using the TP (in combination with salvaging or forging).
  • Karka farming, for shells and T6
  • Other T6 farms (several good ones can be found via google).
  • Node farming. Some recently posted a map showing efficient routes for any combination of high-value or easily-farmed ones, e.g. rich platinum.

Some of those are more “efficient” in terms of gold/hour, but some people also find them stupefyingly dull, which is why I listed so many — you might find one that earns 40% less and yet is 200% “more fun” (however you might measure that), which means you can do it for much, much longer, and therefore earn more, before passing out from boredom.

Your mileage will vary. Past performance is not a predictor of future earnings. Void where prohibited.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Eethy.6421

Eethy.6421

Thanks for the replies Kodiak & Illconceived.

> Silverwastes is probably one of the better ways to make money in pve.

Hmm, ok.

I’ve spent a good amount of time in Silverwastes, defended the outposts, “Thanks for pitching in,” fought the giant monster in the hole in the ground a few times, but never felt like I was coming away that much richer.

But that could just be perception. Or maybe somehow I’m not doing it right.

I’ll do some research and give it another try.

> One round of chest running can net well over the 1-2 gold per hour you currently get running around in orr.

> Silverwastes: chest trains, especially with a good commander (who knows where to pause and when to taxi).

Do you guys think maybe you could give me a little help with this?

I’m not asking for a full, detailed explanation. But do you have a suggestion for a good, clear tutorial? Or even a passable one.

Or just what is “taxiing.”

(edited by Eethy.6421)

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Taxiing is where you get people to join your party using the LFG tool to bring them into your instance of a map.

Chest farming is all in the name, grab keys from the vendor, follow the tag round the map opening chests.

Silverwastes is 10-20g per hour, the money is from the champion bags and T6 materials, don’t forget the other materials too (I.E 250 silk is about 5g), Rares sell for 30s each or can be salvaged for the ectos. You’ll also get charged cores/lodestones and exotics which are a boost to your income too.

Also a full AC run is 5g in pure gold and another 5-10g in materials and takes an hour, far more effective than mob farming.

For future reference a quick google search will bring up any guides you need (Dulfy etc) for the game and the Wiki can answer most technical questions.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

From my experience the fastest way to earn money are dungeons.
If ran with a good team, all usual dungeons paths, excluding the lesser ran ones (SE p2, CoF p2 etc) can be done in about 4-5 hours, and this will get you at least 30g, not even calculating in the loot monsters/bosses drop