Lag killing 'adventures'

Lag killing 'adventures'

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

So I’ve been wanting to post about this for some time, but I thought I’d say something about it when it wasn’t lag from my end.

Adventures are nigh on impossible to even get a bronze completion with the kind of lag I’m experiencing. I tried the “A Fungus Among Us” adventure in tandem with yesterday’s dailies, and after about 50 attempts, the lag killed the challenge for me, and made it more of a challenge than it needed to be.

In this country (Australia), anything that requires rapid movement from one place to another via use of a skill is at the mercy of rubberband lag, which is exactly what I experienced 100% of the time last night. It’s bad enough in normal combat, but I’m living in Sydney on a decent ISP, and I’m still getting 300-500ms ping to ANet servers, which makes enjoying my ‘adventures’ rather limited.

Are there any remotely viable (and non-extreme) measures to remedy this?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: mari.6394

mari.6394

Thanks for this post- you saved me the trouble. Ditto, ditto, ditto only difference is I’m on a decent Victorian ISP.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Getting something similar in Brisbane, although I did manage to finish Fungus on silver eventually (albeit with 1 second to spare).

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: promisebreaer.4967

promisebreaer.4967

I have been wondering about advetnures as well. Obviously some folks are getting the job done so I am wondering if my computer or internet speed not good enough, or, perish thought, I really suck LOL. Selfishly I wish that not so many masteries were tired up with adventures but so it goes.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I just tried to do On Wings Of Gold for a couple of mastery points. The game isn’t even recognising that I’m right over/on the things that I collect, because the lag is so severe. Most of the time I’m lucky to actually catch updrafts to keep me in the adventure, because that’s the key to staying in this.

A quick edit to this: I just tried once again to get to the start point for the adventure; and three times I glided towards updrafts, and all three times they refused to catch me. Shortly after, I was disconnected from the ANet servers, but my connection was still steady. What’s going on, ANet?? :/

I really don’t know what more I can do. If you live outside the US then you’re stuffed.

(edited by Valandil Dragonhart.2371)

Lag killing 'adventures'

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Ok so I tried once again to have a go at adventures, with slightly less lag on my end. It was under 300ms so I thought it’d be a great time to get some done without being held back by net latency.

I gave the Haywire Punch-o-Matic adventure a go, but before I did, I looked up a couple of guides on YT for assistance so I could at least get a Silver. As it turns out, no matter what the tactics I tried, doing everything pretty much the same way other people were doing it to get Gold, I couldn’t get past a Bronze level. I concluded that it wasn’t ability, technique, tactics or anything like that (as I was doing the adventure the same way as everyone else had been), but the lag – even at 250ms ping which for us Aussies is actually not that bad – was killing it.

I really cannot fathom why masteries need to be caught up in something that’s intended to be fun, but is killed off by something that we can’t control. I’m waiting to finish off 3 seaprate lines of masteries for new abilities in HoT and just cannot get them unlocked, regardless of my efforts and good intentions.

Anet, can we get some help over here??

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

A good place to start is to run pingplotter when you are having the bouts of lag. It will show you exactly where the problem is, which in turn will direct you to who you need to discuss the issue with. Type “/IP” (without quotes in the chat window to get the IP of the map you are in. Enter that as the target in pingplotter and then look at the results.

As a side note, if the lag isn’t affecting every player in the game, then its not going to be Anet’s issue.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

A lot of this is sadly just because we live on the other side of the world from the servers. Those of us in Oceania will never have low latency.

However, it would have been intelligent for Anet (and other developers) to keep this in mind when designing content. The ‘twitch’ style that has been the ‘flavour of the month’ for some years now in mmos really isn’t a happy marriage. It may work when your latency is <70 ms or so, but when it’s >300 ms, game components are nigh on unplayable.

Smart development would take this into account and code appropriate for it. A perfect example of the problems that arise when this is not done is Sanctum Sprint.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: psy.5437

psy.5437

I have posted about this 8 months ago as have many other people. After this period of time nothing has been done to affect a solution for people playing on high pings so suffice it to say that is they do not give a rats. In fact what prompted me to post 8 months ago was that insidious bullkitten fungus among us which incidentally is also todatys daily adventure and it is still a major pain in the kitten to get silver or gold on because of the problems with how adventure skill usage is communicated with high pings.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

This morning I play daily fungus and it skill sets doesn’t lag anymore.( I always sit at 300 ping ).

Did they fix the lag . Can anyone help confirmed this ?

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Archeia.8905

Archeia.8905

300? geez I’m from NZ and only have 210-230 on average. Man, I feel real sorry for you guise and your ISP’s.

Tarnished Coast – Revenant main

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: ZerotheFang.5890

ZerotheFang.5890

i feel most adventures would probably benefit from at least a min or 2 increase on timers mainly the jumping ones (cause we all know once meta starts up the lag/fps drop happens). but in all fairness i think the other issue is some are in area where meta is directly happening under it or next to it. i have had issues where i can’t even get some done or even get silver. its annoying that these are what they picked to hand mastery out with.

where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

Doubly so on sensitive adventures like Sanctum Scramble, which has rapidly become my most hated thing in the game. I’d rather do aetherblade jumping puzzle if I didn’t need the mastery.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: mari.6394

mari.6394

All the adventures are fast becoming my most hated thing in game too. Seems no matter how many hours I spend trying, getting silver in most of them is probably not doable for this Aussie

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Yes, Im in Canberra and get around the 270 ms latency.
Wont do much better unless using a service like Lowerping.
If your latency is well above this , then its a sign that the route to the US that your ISP uses is congested,or goes thru a lot of routers.
Tracert or pingplotter will show you where the lag is occurring.
Theres very little a game company can do about lag which is outside their control, simply because of the way MMOs work.
All client – server model games have the same problem.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

Press a key playing BDO and you get fast fluid combat. Hammer the hell out of a key in GW2 and your character stands there with their finger up their hilt.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

A good place to start is to run pingplotter when you are having the bouts of lag. It will show you exactly where the problem is, which in turn will direct you to who you need to discuss the issue with. Type “/IP” (without quotes in the chat window to get the IP of the map you are in. Enter that as the target in pingplotter and then look at the results.

As a side note, if the lag isn’t affecting every player in the game, then its not going to be Anet’s issue.

mauried.5608:

Yes, Im in Canberra and get around the 270 ms latency.
Wont do much better unless using a service like Lowerping.
If your latency is well above this , then its a sign that the route to the US that your ISP uses is congested,or goes thru a lot of routers.
Tracert or pingplotter will show you where the lag is occurring.
Theres very little a game company can do about lag which is outside their control, simply because of the way MMOs work.
All client – server model games have the same problem.

I’ve done exactly what you guys are suggesting, many times before, and the same problem always occurs. There’s about 24 gateways (hops) that my connection has to do to get to the Anet servers. There used to be a choke point near Anet’s end, which was the service called Level 3. It was always a bottleneck and I’m not sure if this is still include in the trace route or if it’s since been bypassed.

But the worst part about this is that Anet ARE responsible for this problem. Since the Guild Wars 1 days I’ve been suggesting to devs (Gaile in particular) that Anet have dedicated servers located in the Oceanic area. This would clean up the latency issues. If it’s good enough to do so for other MMO’s it should be good enough for one that’s hell-bent on being noticed by redefining MMO’s. Alas, we’re not important enough to worry about, clearly. Nothing has been done about this; Oceanic’s are a rather small minority which it seems is easily killed off by not attending to it.

So please don’t tell me it’s on my end and not Anet’s, when it’s clear that not both sides of the coin have been examined. This needs to be looked at by a dev and not just the forum users, because their choice of masteries being gated behind adventures is killing the spirit of their expansion. Further, I would invite some devs to come to Australia and see just how bad our lag is. Our ISP’s are crap and we’re ranked among the worst in the developed world for broadband internet. I’m sure they’d agree that something needs to be done when your ping isn’t under 100ms like they’re so used to.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Daedolon.4583

Daedolon.4583

I’m from NZ’s south island and I had a ping avg 198-205 untill GW hot added now ping 215-230 avg with spikes past 300

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

got this today in NA at the mask one. almost unplayable.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m from Brisbane, and yeah, my average ping hovers around 220. (My ISP is Telstra Cable.) It makes some adventures an absolute nightmare to run, thanks to things like rubberbanding after movement skills, landing on bouncing mushrooms and the mushrooms failing to fire, or just teensy bits of skill lag that, while individually minor, add up to be almost 5 – 10 seconds of lost time across the entire adventure.

After many, many hours of grueling frustration, I did eventually get Gold on all the adventures (so it CAN be done, but unless you’re a completionist nut like me I wouldn’t say it was worth the stress), but I would still urge ANet to add in some more time leeway to make it fairer for those players who are operating under severe latency.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m from Brisbane, and yeah, my average ping hovers around 220. (My ISP is Telstra Cable.) It makes some adventures an absolute nightmare to run, thanks to things like rubberbanding after movement skills, landing on bouncing mushrooms and the mushrooms failing to fire, or just teensy bits of skill lag that, while individually minor, add up to be almost 5 – 10 seconds of lost time across the entire adventure.

After many, many hours of grueling frustration, I did eventually get Gold on all the adventures (so it CAN be done, but unless you’re a completionist nut like me I wouldn’t say it was worth the stress), but I would still urge ANet to add in some more time leeway to make it fairer for those players who are operating under severe latency.

As a fellow completionist from Brisbane (hi!) I’m gladdened to hear that you got gold eventually. It gives me hope. Though, part of that hope is also that anet gives us a little more leeway. I’m also experiencing the rubber-banding and skill delays.

Lag killing 'adventures'

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

What I don’t get is why the mods can move this topic between forums but no dev can answer a simple question.

Last I heard, dev’s were players too…

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

How are players going to help other players with a Lag issue?

Lag killing 'adventures'

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

How are players going to help other players with a Lag issue?

The same way ANet will fix the internet’s infrastructure.