Latest patch size?

Latest patch size?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Foxens.9130

Foxens.9130

Hello, could anyone tell what is the latest patch size? released end of Jan this year 2013.

I might go over my usage quota but I’d love to know by how much to see if it’s worth it.

Thanks.

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Sereloth.4378

Sereloth.4378

It was 1.2 gigs total.

Latest patch size?

Foxens.9130

I don’t understand. The downloader says 2.0gigs so far and only 10%.
Any pointers?

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Asthalon.6875

Asthalon.6875

“To see if it’s worth it” sort of suggests that you haven’t logged in for a while… is that the case?

If so you’ll have a pile of cumulative patch content to pull down from previous minor patches, I would assume, which would result in more data.

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

According to the game’s wiki the patch size was around 1gb…probably the 1.2 gbs pointed by Sereloth
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-01-28#Guild_Wars_2_Wiki_notes_2

Latest patch size?

Foxens.9130

Thanks to the moderator. Appreciate the feedback and wiki links to refer to are always useful to us new players.

I do log often, in fact I was on hours before the patch. Sorry, the “to see if it’s worth” was because I get charged for extra bandwidth and I have to pay for each extra gig download.

I

I’m having trouble with the patch since there were two power shortages… once while patching and another one while a GW2 promt came up while -repairing data- (?)

Could this be the reason I am having to download all over again?
Does anyone know how to check which version you’re currently running?
Perhaps someone could recommend a better solution. (e.g. uninstall – reinstall….)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Dylan.6732

Dylan.6732

Same thing happening here, over 5600 files left to download with 269MB downloaded at 1%.

:\ Hope this actually stops at 1.2 gb, don’t want to waste time.

Edit: The % appears to be fixed at some point midway. All is good now. Almost done.

(edited by Dylan.6732)

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

The percentage is always about the number of files, not file size. If it starts with big files, this can be very misleading when you try to calculate the remaining download.

In Foxens case, it might actually try to download the whole game again due to corrupted data, which would something short of 20GB. Very unfortunate. Regular backups can help with that in the future. Or a friend close by where you can copy the game files from.

Latest patch size?

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

When it repairs the data it just downloads the files that are corrupted, not the entire game again.
Version number can be seen on the options UI at the bottom left – you may have to log in to get there. It means nothing however as you can’t actually play or even get to a character select screen without having all of the current files. Previous builds are not allowed access.

Client is always downloaded second (10-12mb) (first if the updater doesn’t need an update).
Then some small files, then there is a really big file, then a bunch of smaller ones again.

If possible I would upgrade your bandwidth allotment as there will be a large update each month that may or may not be larger than this one – the next one will most definitely be larger.

Latest patch size?

Foxens.9130

Thanks for the feedback guys, it’s comforting to know whats going on with the whole data when a repair is being attempted or re-patched.

I tried to DL today as is new month / new data time and for the few minutes before work it had already done 6gigs! Should’ve just re-installed the whole thing since I do have the dvd. (durr )

Will most def change ISP.

Latest patch size?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I don’t have any complaints myself about the process, as I have nice download speed and ‘technically’ monthly limits (though they are somewhere up around 25 gig/mo which I’d be hard pressed to hit).

I dropped by more as a curiosity, wonder if 1.2 gig of information really changed, or if they are updating a few things here or there in large resource files, but rather than sending us the small piece and the merging those changes into the larger data files, they’re just sending us the whole file(s)?

I seem to recall LotRO had a process where they sent pieces, and then there was something on the client end that rebuilt the changes into the larger data files. We used to get fragmented and corrupted files, so they built us a defrag utility to run stand alone, and eventually just incorporated it into the patching process.

Do you folks do something like that, and ‘really’ changed 1.2 gig worth of information? Or, do you not have a process like that and have to send us entire data files each time, even though some have minor changes?

I was just curious.