Legendary Weapon: Make or Buy?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Trueshots.9456

Trueshots.9456

Im curious if it would be easier(faster) to get map complete and do all that is necessary to make a legendary or to farm gold and just buy it on the TP? I currently have about 35% map complete on two different toons and 50% on another(which i dislike playing). Any advice would be great, thanks.

~Poison Caltrop~
I apologize, If you didn’t outnumber me, it wasn’t a fair fight

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Always faster to buy, personally I would not do so but I am not you.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

The original set of legendaries give you the option to buy, the HoT set doesn’t. So it completely depends on which you’re wanting and how patient you’re willing to be.

With the HoT set, you really don’t have a choice but to make those as you can’t buy the precursor or the finished Legendary from the TP.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Dezember.1295

Dezember.1295

The biggest difference is how much time you have spare, really. I had to make this choice a few weeks ago, and decided that I will be crafting mine.
Crafting requires a lot of varied activity, which is fine by me. But most of all, it requires a lot of time farming.
If you have a lot of spare cash irl and don’t mind spending, by all means – go buy it. But I decided that farming the materials seemed more profitable than farming gold.
Happy hunting!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The absolute fastest option would be to buy gems, convert them to gold and use that to buy a legendary. But that’s very expensive and not at all fun.

If you enjoy doing things that make a lot of gold like playing the TP or farming Silverwastes or Dungeons and you’re happy to do them a lot then it will be easier to farm the gold and buy one.

But for most people it’s probably easier to do map completion and make the legendary. You could always compromise and buy the precursor instead of doing the collection for it. Or maybe do everything except the precursor and then see how you feel about doing the collection.

I’ve made one legendary where I bought the precursor and I’m working on one where I’m making it and whilst the collections for it seem like more work than the actual legendary I’m finding it much more enjoyable than farming gold ever was.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It depends on the legendary weapon but most you will be better off crafting. Well I’m not basing this with the AB farm taken into account so I could be wrong.

Posted by: Trueshots.9456

Trueshots.9456

Thanks for the tips. I actually got a precursor drop in WvW the other day for Quip. But don’t have map complete so not sure what to do. I cant do the SW farm it kills me. I may just try to save better and stop crafting ascended for all my toons and focus on the legendary.

~Poison Caltrop~
I apologize, If you didn’t outnumber me, it wasn’t a fair fight

Posted by: ShortnCurly.9018

ShortnCurly.9018

Even without spare time to farm and craft your legendary having a long term goal gives you something more to do in the game.
Why not do both? You can farm mats for sale, work the TP and do the journey for a second legendary.
Mixing up the game is far more fun anyway.

Find what suits you best, for me that’s working through Kudzu, Sunrise and Bifrost level 1 at the same time and I’m loving it. It’s seems to be a very efficient way to go about it.

Also, as Map Completion and the Legendary journey overlap in many areas try to do them at the same time, I wish i knew this earlier as 100% map took me 3 weeks from 70% and now I have to go back to many of the places which is annoying.

Congrats on a lucky drop BTW.

Proud member of uPOI, Undiscovered Point of Interest an OCX guild on NA.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I know some people that can make almost 2,000 gold a month off of the AB farm, so if you really hate farming mats and don’t mind AB that much this would be much quicker. Personally I don’t like the event quite that much so I’m farming the materials for my legendary and am going to craft it, knowing full well that it will take me a long time