Less confusing way to level?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: cantthink.1365

cantthink.1365

So i dont know, Im just having such a hard problem not being completely mind kittened by this games questing. I feel like im running over random places on the map looking for any hearts around my level to quest. I always end up a level or 2 behind my current story quest and those 1 or 2 levels make a difference so i usually like to get to the reccomended level.

Thing is, this game gives you no direction of how to level so im constantly grabbing my hair and ripping it out. Some people tell me i need to go to other areas to level..i dont know that just seems a little confusing having to travel all over the map just for 2 levels to do a story quest.

Is there like a leveling guide or some kitten? I love guild wars 2 but I havent played in at least 2 weeks because i am just sick of running around like a chicken without a head

Posted by: Brutus Tarsi.1283

Brutus Tarsi.1283

The mentality is definitely different than other games that I have played, (GW1 specifically).

The way I understand it, is there is the personal story that is going on, and outside of that, you have been asked by the powers that be, to lend your aid to your fellow citizens. So the “quests” has evolved into a, go explore the world, and lend your aid to those who need you. And by the way, your life is going on at the same time.

Adopting this mindset, that the hearts are all one big giant quest to aid my kingdom and its allies in its fight against Zhaitan has really helped me endure some of the randomness that is the hearts.

To balance the two, what I have opted to do, is go clear a zone or two, get roughly 10 levels ahead of my personal story, then blitz through 3-5 episodes at a time. I catch back up to level, I close the chapter of that personal story, and I clear a few more zones, readying myself for the next step. Not saying its the best way, but it is what I have found to be most enjoyable.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I leveled the same way as Brutus all the way to 80 except I also crafted quite a bit. I’m still not done the personal story though. Kind of forgot about it!

Posted by: sharana.8653

sharana.8653

See where your personal story is , clear that map along with ur story , take a break to do some crafting , again go to the map for quests where ur personal story also is , this is the most effective and enjoyable way of leveling imo

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

There are more than enough zones to level in, if you find yourself under level in one zone, go to a different one.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: mathisk.6427

mathisk.6427

There’s not much that can be done about the “running around the maps at random” feeling. That’s just how the game is designed, without a structured quest system. It’s not bad when you get used to it, though. If you want to be less random, though, you can look for the scouts on each map and let them reveal the hearts they know about. This will let you get an idea of where the hearts are and what levels they are, so you can make somewhat less random choices about where to go next.

Also, if you’re a few levels behind in questing, are you doing the Dynamic Events? Those are a great way to level up quickly, as well as completing hearts. I’ve spent quite a few enjoyable evenings doing nothing but getting caught up in a group of adventurers that run from place to place starting up and/or participating in the events. It’s amazing how fast you can level through events. They’re also a good way to earn Karma to buy gear, weapons, and items for your character.

Posted by: Hanayatori.3764

Hanayatori.3764

This works for me, perhaps it’ll help you:
Let your personal story dictate which zone you’re in.
Let the hearts guide you through the zone. They’re numbered, so follow them in
sequence. Gather everything and do every event along the way.
Get 100% map completion before following your story to the next zone.
End each questing session with a crafting session, unless you prefer to sell your gathered materials.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

You should level in a way you enjoy. If you need someone else to tell you what to enjoy, then maybe GW2 isn’t for you. There are plenty of options if you really just want a game that tells you exactly what to do with little to no other option when leveling *cough*TERA*cough*.

If you do want to stick with Guild Wars 2, then tap into your inner explorer and your inner curiosity. What zones look cool? What haven’t you tried yet? Are there any zones with lower level content that you haven’t tried yet?

Also, don’t get caught up in what level you are. If you’ve been playing MMOs for a long time, you probably have this pre-conceived notion that you have to level up before you can do any fun stuff, but you get this fun stuff right from the start in GW2. If you’re not digging your experience now, then don’t expect anything about being 80 to be radically different.