Level scaling for dungeons is absurd

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: MmmmmisterCrow.8361

MmmmmisterCrow.8361

I can understand the rationale behind level scaling in areas, but scaling for dungeons to a static level is just ridiculous to me. Honestly, other than the obvious answers – new traits and skills – what is the point in leveling at all if they just scale you to whatever level they see fit?

Leveling is supposed to make you stronger, give you better survivability, and give you an incentive to progress your character. But dungeons will continue to be the same long key mashing grind fest every time you go in because your going to be power-stripped.

At worst, they should at least allow a level range for scaling. Like AC could be 30-36 and levels above that will be downscaled. But scaling to just a strict flat level makes dungeons horribly boring.

/rant

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What’s the point in a challenge if you can just outlevel it?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

If all the dungeons were level 80 then you’d consider that end game content and probably be happy. So what’s the difference? Stop focusing so much on a number.

Posted by: addisonstone.2570

addisonstone.2570

I’m just not a fan of how massively buffed-up the monsters in dungeons are.

I didn’t see the light until I was already a man. By then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

What’s the point in a challenge if you can just outlevel it?

This. Get better or keep failing, your choice.

Posted by: remix.9856

remix.9856

Dungeons are meant to be difficult and not easy and require tons of strategy.

Even though you’re scaled down you don’t lost your traits or armor stats.

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

go play WoW?

And no they shouldn’t allow such range, because lvl’s actually do a lot. defense and/or damage also actually scale with lvl difference. For that reason you can’t go take out creeps of 10 lvl’s higher than you at like lvl 60 even though the stats don’t differ THAT much.

Posted by: Siveon.8759

Siveon.8759

Level scaling makes content viable for all levels, why would a company waste time making low level content if players never do it again once they level up, plus you still get a significant boost though traits and higher level gear.

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

Having level scaling was the smartest thing Guild Wars 2 ever did. No matter what your level is, no matter how good your gear becomes, if you’re a bad player you will always fail at dungeons. And that’s exactly how the game should be.

Stop relying on the game to make you better. Improve yourself.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

I ADORE the lvl scaling! I can explore EVERYTHING as much as I want! And it never stops being viable. TY FOR THIS! I love exploration above all else in games, GW2 has given that back to the genre.

Posted by: Kalithro.6532

Kalithro.6532

This game does a good job at making your character feel like a wimp (w i m p).

That being said;
The down level system is awsome and with a few changes I might be playing the game right now instead of spending time on the forums. I like feeling powerful in games and that my presence matters. I don’t think I will ever get that from GW2.

Soothsayer.9476

That being said;
The down level system is awsome and with a few changes I might be playing the game right now instead of spending time on the forums. I like feeling powerful in games and that my presence matters. I don’t think I will ever get that from GW2.

So basically you want God mode or you don’t have fun. Yep GW2 isn’t the game for you

Posted by: Graego.5679

Graego.5679

Dear ArenaNet Inc.,

I really appreciate your level scaling and that I can’t be level 30 and AoE mobs in a level 1-15 zone. I enjoy the difficultly of your dungeons and the fact that a level 80 can’t just breeze his 4 level 30 friends through a dungeon. In fact I enjoy everything about your scaling system to make sure the game always has some sort of challenege.

Please do not listen to the OP. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: KaLeB.4371

KaLeB.4371

be nice if it was optional though, say enter solo u keep ur level enter in a group u get scaled.

would allow farming low level dungeons for mats and testing builds etc, also means people could just play the game instead of the usual hunt for groups or having to find a guild.

Posted by: Orcao.6419

Orcao.6419

But the dungeons are pretty easy as-is. And leveling does matter. Being level 80 in full exotics scales you to a point you could never achieve at 30. Most of the dungeons and bosses have a gimmick you have to learn. In AC Story that gimmick is boulders. The lovers fight is the easiest fight in the game. All it is is beating on 2 HP bars that are stuck with their rears on the ground.

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

Honestly, levels in GW2 are about as useful as levels in, say, Call of Duty. It’s really just an indicator of how long you’ve been in the game, ’cause besides a few unlocks, everything kind of stays static.

I’m not 100% sure if I like it or not. Leveling has always been a source of enjoyment for me and I just don’t really get the same kick out of it here as I do in other games. Then again, it makes the game accessible to pretty much everybody.

It’s all got a real arcadey feel to it. Everything is just pick up and go. Which is nice when you don’t have a lot of time, actually, but still kind of ruins the whole progression aspect.

I’ve never really been into ‘end game’ stuff, though, so I think my biggest problem is that the whole game is basically end game. Static levels, static skills, with only gear changing anything (besides player skill, of course). Sounds a lot like typical end game progression to me.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Posted by: amradio.2513

amradio.2513

So…

You’re mad because you can’t zerg rush through a lower level dungeon at lvl 80?

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

be nice if it was optional though, say enter solo u keep ur level enter in a group u get scaled.

would allow farming low level dungeons for mats and testing builds etc, also means people could just play the game instead of the usual hunt for groups or having to find a guild.

So you want Anet to change the game, specifically so:

1) Higher level characters can ruin the econonomy, and

2) People can ignore the social aspect of an MMO.

I can’t say I agree with you.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Posted by: Routine.6194

Routine.6194

“what is the point in leveling at all if they just scale you to whatever level they see fit?”

Well um… I might not be 100% correct on that, but you do keep your trait and armor effects, so being a higher level will still give you an adventage

Posted by: darkoracle.6483

darkoracle.6483

I like it but think they could leave you 2-5 levels above the content, good compromise imo.

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

So you want Anet to change the game, specifically so:

1) Higher level characters can ruin the econonomy, and

2) People can ignore the social aspect of an MMO.

I can’t say I agree with you.

This^ …pretty much exactly. I respect ANET for taking the step to put a price on attempting to freefarm valuable areas in the game. If you have a desire to farm then you have to deal with the scaling consequences. This game is built around a truly social MMO aspect not an individuals dominance of an area. Of course they could have just locked your character out of said dungeon once you successfully ran it … how bout that little solution? Have fun and enjoy the social aspects.

P.S. It was this little aspect of WoW that became the major reason I quit playing. Trying to farm and refarm just to keep up is horribly boring and turned me away from the game.

(edited by VendettaDFA.9368)

Posted by: ambiencenever.8432

ambiencenever.8432

I totally love the level scaling system, sheer brilliance on arenanet’s part, and very very well orchestrated. im lvl 31, and im not done exploring each of the lowbie zones…because I do not care what “lowbie” means anymore! So……having said that…..

I do not like being scaled to a lvl lower than the mobs….that’s incredibly frustrating. like being lvl 6 fighting 11 drakes when im actually lvl 27….

To those above who said the lvls dont actually alter your effectiveness that much, you have to be at least a little wrong. i can tell when im being pounded, 5up mobs hurt way worse than even con vets.

Let the “get better” replies commence.

Soothsayer.9476

I totally love the level scaling system, sheer brilliance on arenanet’s part, and very very well orchestrated. im lvl 31, and im not done exploring each of the lowbie zones…because I do not care what “lowbie” means anymore! So……having said that…..

I do not like being scaled to a lvl lower than the mobs….that’s incredibly frustrating. like being lvl 6 fighting 11 drakes when im actually lvl 27….

To those above who said the lvls dont actually alter your effectiveness that much, you have to be at least a little wrong. i can tell when im being pounded, 5up mobs hurt way worse than even con vets.

Let the “get better” replies commence.

Which area lowers you to lvl6 in a lvl 11 area? In my experience I’m usually 1-2 levels higher than mobs, and some times equal, but I can’t recall ever being down scaled to a lower level than them

Posted by: Hassohappa.9278

Hassohappa.9278

Which area lowers you to lvl6 in a lvl 11 area? In my experience I’m usually 1-2 levels higher than mobs, and some times equal, but I can’t recall ever being down scaled to a lower level than them

I noticed as I went through Fireheart Rise that the area just north of Cozen Desolation has level 69 enemies (lava elementals IIRC). On the SW side of the area I was leveled down to 63, on the NE side I was leveled down to 71.

That being said the deleveling thing is fine in my book. It makes it so that they can put end game quality loot in all of the dungeons while keeping it challenging for level 80s but still possible for lower level people to run. That also means that at 80 you don’t have to wait for all of your friends to finish leveling up before it’s possible for you to play with them while doing something that benefits you.

Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive.

Posted by: Rocksors.7830

Rocksors.7830

Level scaling means there is still a challenge (ie reason) at higher levels and people will keep running it. The incentive to keep levelling, is to do the next tier of dungeons up.

Isle Of Janthir [AR]
Rocksors: 80 Guardian, Althalus: 80 Thief, Birigitte: 80 Ranger, Roacsors: 80 Warrior

Posted by: Shmerrick.9168

Shmerrick.9168

Because everything should be easy?

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

Because everything should be easy?

Indeed I love that AC story challenged our group and tbh the level 40 dungeon was quite easy and a little disappointing because of it, though being set in a mansion was brilliant.

I also love how when I am level 49 in a 45 to 55 zone if I wander into the wrong area I all of a sudden realise I am level 49. Can still kill 1 v 1 but more than that and I really need to start thinking, or hoping someone else comes along and helps

Posted by: Gazille.7381

Gazille.7381

If all the dungeons were level 80 then you’d consider that end game content and probably be happy. So what’s the difference? Stop focusing so much on a number.

Go play secret world if you dont want numbers.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

That being said;

I dunno. I feel like my presence matters all the time, as I complete DE’s with myself or just a couple of other players around.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: randybabble.5670

randybabble.5670

The level scaling feels great. It’s nice to be able to do dungeons that are meant for level 40 at level 80. That being said I do have a problem with the balancing of some encounters.

Posted by: HamsterStud.7630

HamsterStud.7630

Instead of complaining about problems, how about offering solutions.

Here are a few reasons why I think Dungeons are scaled by level.

They probably will make more dungeons with level restrictions, but as of now if a lvl 80 wanted to play with a bunch of friends then he can do so. If the dungeons were not scaled then it lvl 80 could just solo the dungeon and the rest of the party gets free xp, and crap.

- Scaled dungeons so you can play with friends

-No exploitations

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

The GW2 playerbase is divided into people who get why lots of things in GW2 are the way they are, and people who don’t. People who get it have thought a lot about the little details and why they are the way they are, and think the game is a masterpiece. People who don’t get it are people who are letting their expectations run away with their actual experience playing the game.

To really get this game, just forget about words like “MMORPG”, “gear”, “progression”, etc., etc., – or rather, forget about everything you’ve learned about words like that – and see if the actual experience of playing the game is fun to you, or not; and if it isn’t fun, before leaving the game, just try and mix things up a bit and try a few different approaches out, and see if that doesn’t help.

Otherwise, nobody cares. The wonderful thing about this game is that whiners have no purchase on the development of the game – because they’re not paying a subscription fee there’s not the slightest reason for Arenanet or anyone else to listen to them.

And that is a blessing and a relief.

Posted by: Dungfish.7509

Dungfish.7509

I like the scaling, it allows me as a guild master to organize groups for any dungeon and take any guild members along with me, despite some being high or max levels, and it will still be worth their while to come gear and money wise, without them carrying the team. It just lets us all play together a lot more easily.

Guardian

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Having level scaling was the smartest thing Guild Wars 2 ever did. No matter what your level is, no matter how good your gear becomes, if you’re a bad player you will always fail at dungeons. And that’s exactly how the game should be.

Stop relying on the game to make you better. Improve yourself.

This. Level scaling is genius and one of the best features of the game.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

just because wow become easy like msot of people say is still better game than this and im sorry to say that but is true.

Yes because you think so it’s a fact for everyone, right?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

Dungeons seem brutal at first, it’s not saying much but when I first did AC I got steam rolled, we repaired so much and made maybe a few more silver as a reward. However the second time we went in we had better strategy and knew what to expect and did better. The difficulty is brutal but not unfair, you have to pay a lot of attention and yes you might die, but thats just how things go. It’s something you will have to get used to as other games might make things easier rather then harder. I can tell you some of my best gaming experiences have been with games where the difficulty was very challenging but fair and beating that level, boss, or even mob was a reward in it’ self. Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls and perhaps Monster Hunter are great examples. Only through learning from defeat do you get any better in those games and over time you really develop skill that you can be proud of rather then just cake walk through something because you are geared out better then it or someone else can take you through it.

If that is not something you can get behind then you are not gonna enjoy the game, plain and simple, but A-net should not change the way things are because of that.

Posted by: EnochDagor.6185

EnochDagor.6185

The reason why level scaling works…

At level 60, I went with a guildmate who was level 30… another guild mate at level 57… and a final guild mate at 51. We picked up one other random person. Did the entire story mode for the zone and it was quite enjoyable. Even crazier? I got an upgrade to one of my armor slots while in there.

Leveling in this game matters for one simple reason: it opens up content. That’s really it. And it is brilliant. No longer are players mismatching levels with their friends… feeling overwhelmed by having to do a massive level grind in order to keep up with a friend… etc… That is extremely refreshing in an MMORPG and I applaud ArenaNet for a refreshing view on leveling.

80 Elementalist – Sanctum of Rall
Various other classes for figuring out how to kill em (thief, warrior, mesmer, etc…)
War is much more fun when you’re winning! – General Martok

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

A select few people also got rolled in WoW each time new content released because they were the ones figuring out the content and getting geared up. Spending money on repairs and whatever it took to get the instance done. A lot of those guilds spent weeks on new content… even longer gearing to the point of “Farm” status. Once these instances were common knowledge the masses would get groups and run through with thier hands being held. So your average WoW player didn’t have a big challenge when it came to these instances. In fact a lot of players would just wait it out because it was too frustrating / expensive for them to do.

That resulted in a huge number of WoW players growing accustomed to a game that presented little to no challenge.

These dungeons are somewhat difficult on story mode IMO. It is balanced perfectly, it is almost enough to get frustrated at, you spend alot on repairs – but when you learn the fights, and more importantly a new style of fighting, the dungeons get more managable.

Anet has said that they expect very few people to be able to handle explorer mode and that those dungeons present a monumental challenge – They were not lying. When people take down explorer mode content they feel like they really achieved something and I think that is perfect.

People are stuck on this idea that they should be able to see and do everything the game has to offer easily. It’s their “right” because they paid for it.

There are just some things you wont do – some crafting recipes you’ll never make, some armor you will never have. I find that awesome. It makes it so the game is not full of a bunch of characters that are copies of each other. ALL jewelers don’t have the same recipes, All warriors dont wear the same armor and all players dont go to the same places.

(edited by NyghtProwler.9386)

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

just because wow become easy like msot of people say is still better game than this and im sorry to say that but is true.

Yes because you think so it’s a fact for everyone, right?

Let the trolls troll and report them. Anet is good at policing the forums before these people start doing their worst.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

I like it but think they could leave you 2-5 levels above the content, good compromise imo.

nope.avi

Everyone would outlevel (even more than now already) to get it easy mode, leaving dungeons a senseless part of the game that’s no more special than any random event.

Posted by: Kurinto.8427

Kurinto.8427

Reason why I left playing.

You know the moment to quit a game when your lvl 22 guardian gets owned by two lvl 12 foxes.

EPIC FAIL

Posted by: Tarque Sinister.9032

Tarque Sinister.9032

This happens in every MMO. New Elite Dungeon/Raids are always absurdly challenging in the beginning. What happens is people develop strategies, understand key points, and eventually the raid become second nature. If they make it easier now, later the content will be beyond easy (Zero Challenge = Zero Fun). Like in GW1, I would like to see them implement HardMode Dungeons. For instance, in AC, it would be sweet if they upscaled everything to lvl 85 or so to make it more of a challenge. The greater the challenge, the greater the loot is usually the way it goes.

Server: Anvil Rock
Main Character: Lugg Knut (Charr/Engineer)
Guild: Bed Intruders [HIDE]

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I love the level scaling mechanic. and it does make the game better in my opinion. That idea was really well implemented.

Posted by: Tarque Sinister.9032

Tarque Sinister.9032

Reason why I left playing.

You know the moment to quit a game when your lvl 22 guardian gets owned by two lvl 12 foxes.

EPIC FAIL

This makes me smile. It’s frustrating; however, the point is for the game to remain a challenge in all areas. What’s the point of limiting the challenge to a few select areas? I love the level scaling. It keeps level 80s from going to into 1-15 areas and dominating everything in existence.

Server: Anvil Rock
Main Character: Lugg Knut (Charr/Engineer)
Guild: Bed Intruders [HIDE]

Posted by: Renari.4209

Renari.4209

I agree I think this is one of the best things in the game, level 80 goes to level 15 area and 1 shots champion world boss’ there. No thanks, even in dungeons it’s balanced the scaling isn’t absurd rather your party composition doesn’t work probably due to your whole party building glass cannon and no one tanking a defensive role.

Posted by: CC Dalmarus.8397

CC Dalmarus.8397

Community Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback, but this subforum is for Players Helping Players so will be closed. More forum sections appropriate for this topic will be opened in the future. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!