Leveling and gear

Leveling and gear

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

Hey friends!

I’ve got lv 66 elementalist, leveling isn’t hard in my opinion, but while leveling I had one problem. Is it worth buying more expensive gear before lv 80? I found in tp lv 65 exotic gear, but it was obvious for me that there is no point spending ~30g on armor set only. I bought rare masquarade set, lv 65 accessory, rings and amulet with +power +precision and dagger,scepter also rare with +power +precision and some vitality I think and some runes.

What’s your opinion on this, should I always buy the best gear possible or rather look for cheaper one (I mean – at least rare) and save money until 80?

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I tend to upgrade gear if it gets more than 10 levels behind, but I never buy top of the line stuff. Greens or even blues will be fine.

Because you level so fast, you won’t have it long enough to worry about.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Wiezimag z Karthainu.1208

Wiezimag z Karthainu.1208

Cheap junk of course You’ll need gold for exotics with proper stats when you hit 80.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

It depends on what you’re comfortable with. I find that by now (just recently got my 9th character to 80) leveling comes so easy to me that I mostly only wear whatever I loot that’s got better stats than what I’m currently wearing. Every 15 levels or so, I get some blue stuff from the trading post (if it’s an upgrade at the time), but that’s as much out of a desire to unlock all the crafting skins as it is actually needed to go forward.

Leveling and gear

Hattoni.8597

Does better gear have large impact on leveling? Does it matter much in dungeons or you are fine with your green/blue gear even in dungeon? You know, stay difference between lv 45/50 green and 60/65 yellow is huge.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Wiezimag z Karthainu.1208

Wiezimag z Karthainu.1208

If you compare rarities though, keep it between similar levels and stats.

65lv yellow Berserker light armor has 208 def and costs 1g17s.
Green has 192 def and costs 80s.
Now, blue one for lvl66 costs 7s (lol) for 180 def.

I think most newbies would say kitten it and run in the blue junk In the end it’s for you to decide, not everyone can spare much gold for temporary gear.

The difference does not impact leveling greatly, as you get exp for pretty much everything you do and the open world is not challenging at all.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Depending on what type of content you play you will be lvl 80 in under 14 hours played time. I would not spend any gold on equipment, it would only be a marginal speed increase, negligible in my eye – unless you find yourself dying lots of course.

I’ve never done this (with < 80), but you could try and check out some world bosses. If you don’t know where and when they appear there are websites like dulfy or the dragon timer on guildwarstemple. You should get some rare drops, if you are lucky they are your armour weight. You might have to discover the waypoints beforehand and some lvl 80 areas will be tough alone, but there are a good chunk in your lvl range.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

NO. Save resources until you hit 80.

Do NOT spend money or Karma (maybe a little Karma) on gear while leveling. Use your drops or craft it (or have a friend / Guildie do so) every 15 levels (at Masterwork / Green levels). You should evaluate your gear every 10 levels or so and try to replace anything that is less than 15 levels below your current level. If possible, Try to do a FULL equipment replace at the Masterwork crafting levels (20, 35, 50, 65).

Exceptions:

• Jewlery via TP (if you don’t have access to crafted)
  • Guild Back item at LVL 60 (must be in a guild with armorer access). Note that you will get a lesser back item during your story mission and the stats for these are minimal compared to other equipment….this can be skipped w/o much loss of stats.
  • Rare Faction weapons at LVL 40 (don’t go crazy as these are 9.8K karma ea).
  • MAYBE some open world karma armor (karma NPCs) if you have a specific piece that is too low for your level (less than 15 levels lower).

Note that for ALL selections during your story missions and any purchase from NPCs pay close attention to the skin information. It is MUCH more desirable while leveling up to obtain a good skin unlock (note you can preview any item before buying or accepting it as a reward) than a stat combo while leveling.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Leveling and gear

Brother Grimm.5176

NO. Save resources until you hit 80.

Do NOT spend money or Karma (maybe a little Karma) on gear while leveling. Use your drops or craft it (or have a friend / Guildie do so) every 15 levels (at Masterwork / Green levels). You should evaluate your gear every 10 levels or so and try to replace anything that is less than 15 levels below your current level. If possible, Try to do a FULL equipment replace at the Masterwork crafting levels (20, 35, 50, 65).

Exceptions:

• Jewlery via TP (if you don’t have access to crafted)
  • Guild Back item at LVL 60 (must be in a guild with armorer access).
  • Rare Faction weapons at LVL 40 (don’t go crazy as these are 9.8K karma ea).
  • MAYBE some open world karma armor (karma NPCs) if you have a specific piece that is too low for your level (less than 15 levels lower).

Note that for ALL selections during your story missions and any purchase from NPCs pay close attention to the skin information. It is MUCH more desirable while leveling up to obtain a good skin unlock (note you can preview any item before buying or accepting it as a reward) than a stat combo while leveling. This may not be as true once you reach the 3 stat level (around 60), but keep in mind that some skins are ONLY unlock-able via personal story rewards.

Leveling and gear

Hattoni.8597

Thanks for tips. I try to save as much resources/karma/money as possible especially that I have a little of those: ~120k karma, ~110g and like 80% of crafting collection. I’ve done most of crafting up to 400 except weaponsmithing and leatherworking. I’m doing dungeons and sometimes I get some nice stuff which is proper for my class/level and I make money by selling things, when I’m lucky with run I get like 3 exotics in a run and it’s a really nice money burst.

Not to create new topic so I’ll ask here: how should I spend my skill point? I have like 25 free sp, most important abilities unlocked. Apart of this wvw stuff is there anything to spend sp?

Leveling and gear

Rouven.7409

Skill points are used for crafting and the mystic forge, either for skins (weapons mainly) or to promote materials. Take a gander here and check what the items are used for.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill_Points

Edit: The weapons are not just skins, but they are basically so expensive that people typically craft them for the skins. You will need a few SP if you decide to try ascended crafting btw.

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Cyrill Faust.9340

Cyrill Faust.9340

Thanks for tips. I try to save as much resources/karma/money as possible especially that I have a little of those: ~120k karma, ~110g and like 80% of crafting collection. I’ve done most of crafting up to 400 except weaponsmithing and leatherworking. I’m doing dungeons and sometimes I get some nice stuff which is proper for my class/level and I make money by selling things, when I’m lucky with run I get like 3 exotics in a run and it’s a really nice money burst.

Not to create new topic so I’ll ask here: how should I spend my skill point? I have like 25 free sp, most important abilities unlocked. Apart of this wvw stuff is there anything to spend sp?

I would just save your skill points, You need 20 per ascended piece and 200+ for a Legendary.

Proud member of [BANK] my bank guild and [BANK](2) my other bank guild

Leveling and gear

Hattoni.8597

I would just save your skill points, You need 20 per ascended piece and 200+ for a Legendary.

I’m just curious – how many skill point can be obtained? 200+ is a large amount..

Leveling and gear

Rouven.7409

I’m just curious – how many skill point can be obtained? 200+ is a large amount..

You keep on leveling up and you continue to get them, there is no limit. You will also get scrolls to drop from champion chests.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Depending on what type of content you play you will be lvl 80 in under 14 hours played time.

What content are you running? I’ve seen an hour a level as a rule of thumb. Sure starting from level 1 the first dozen or so levels are much faster than that but 80 levels in 14 hours?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Leveling and gear

Rouven.7409

Depending on what type of content you play you will be lvl 80 in under 14 hours played time.

What content are you running? I’ve seen an hour a level as a rule of thumb. Sure starting from level 1 the first dozen or so levels are much faster than that but 80 levels in 14 hours?

The OP said the character is lvl 66 … ?

Leveling and gear

Brother Grimm.5176

There are over 260 SP available via map challenges, you get 1 for each level up and then there are endless drops of scrolls that give the user a skill point, so there are more than enough available to you….

Note that skill points can also now be used to unlock traits at Trainer NPCs. If you started the character after the Trait update, it will require some significant points to unlock all 65 Traits (tho nobody ever needs all 65 of them).

Leveling and gear

Hattoni.8597

It is possible. If you have enough money then you ckittene crafting. First few levels is a moment. I think than you need only ~25g for each crafting profession from 0 to 400. 400-500 is like ~150g I think. If you have that money then it cannot be your first char so you will have some crafting stuff in bank.

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I usually don’t buy anything for my characters until they hit level 80 because it’s just not worth it. I use drops or crafted stuff.

The few times I have it’s not because of the stats. It’s something like I randomly decided I wanted to try a dagger/dagger build on my elementalist and didn’t want to wait for 2 daggers to drop.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Leveling and gear

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Greens blues or yellows until you hit 80. Spending gold on armour and weapons otherwise is a waste. The other option is to craft it yourself. You’ll generally have enough materials from PVE to make a couple of sets.