Leveling guide?

Leveling guide?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Hi!

Is there anywhere a place with leveling builds? All I see here on the forums are builds for 80s, not for leveling classes

Also… what would be the fastest character to level to 45 (without crafting): a necro, guardian or thief?

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Wouldn’t any build that results in your character not dying to enemies work as a “levelling” build?

From what I hear, Guardian seems to have an easy time in PvE, so I guess by that metric it’s the easiest to level. I struggled a bit with my Necromancer at early levels, but once I unlocked a few utility skill slots and could bring along more minions, everything became a cakewalk.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

There is no specific leveling build. Leveling is a great time to experiment since changing utilities, using different set of weapons, or even changing traits, are easy. So experiment away. As Zaxares said, as long as your character don’t die easily, that is a reasonable build to use at that point, at least until you unlock more skills or traits. Then you experiment again.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Tallis,

A good place to take a look is www.guildwars2guru.com and the forums there.

I feel you on the lack of leveling builds/guides. I became frustrated with being told to “experiment” when I was trying to get decent direction and an idea of what to mess with. The choices can be overwhelming and headache-inducing. I do not think a lot of people remember being a total newbie and not having a clue. It’s reasonable to want to be at least a little optimal and not blindly thrash about as you “don’t die”.

To find a good direction to aspire to (I just started in March), I usually pick a profession+weapon and google. It usually gives me a pretty good idea where to go.

Of those three, Guardian with a greatsword would probably be the fastest to level to 45 solo. Necro is a close second. Thief is too squishy to be fast. This is all subjective.

Tarnished Coast

Leveling guide?

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Generally, in the early levels, you will get a LOT out of a point in the power or precision trait, especially compared to what gear provides. Usually, when those level 80 builds recommend going 30 or 20 points deep into a toughness or vitality trait, its ONLY for a powerful trait, and not worth it otherwise.

As so much of this game is about active defense, it always helps to maximize your DPS, and not invest too much in condition damage or toughness.

There’s one important exception: the signet warrior. They level so fast its ridiculous, but you never want to play one at 80.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Anything that keeps you from dying is a leveling build. You should be using this time to experiment and figure out what works for you so that when you hit 80 you know what you want rather than always following someone else.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

While levelling my Necromancer, I just did what I could with a level 80 build (adding in my skills as I went along). The traits and gear stats were off, but I got used to the build and that benefited me in the long run. Either way, I definitely would first recommend a Guardian. Guardians do really well with solo in PvE (probably second to Ranger in easiest). Necro is a good second, however.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

So, most say guardian and than necro.

Since I already have a heavy (my main is warrior), I’ll go with Necor then!

Any recommendations on weapons & traits?

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It largely depends on what kind of Necro you want to be. I love the Minion Master theme, so I went with 30 Death Magic and 20 Blood Magic (so my critters can heal me while they attack). I could have put the last 20 points into Spite for Training of the Master, but I wanted to get some more mileage out of Death Shroud, so I put 10 points into that, and then split the rest 5/5 between Spite and Curses.

Axe/Dagger is supposedly the best weapon set for MM’s (due to the axe’s ability to stack Vulnerability quickly), but I went with Scepter/Focus to add condition damage to my minion’s damage. Staff is an all-round good weapon for Necros, but it’s a bit slow in terms of “speed” (not as far as killing enemies, but it FEELS slow). Overall, I’d say that the Necromancer’s weapons are all quite well-balanced in terms of what they do, so pick whichever you like the most.

Leveling guide?

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

i have almost all character classes in game.. and i would say warrior and ranger guardian can level faster than necro easily… but it depends alot in how skilled you are too.. if you can dodge and somehow evade your enemies and play careful " to me the more DPS you can do whitout diying is the best leveling build… all of my characters i always go to full dps for leveling… another problem is that necros are most condition dmg based which is not the fastest dps.. in game..

but a very important tip if you just want to level as fast… save some money and do chef and jewelry to 400 .. you can easy find crafting guides.. and is not that expensive.. each crafting will secure you at least 10 levels… so doing those you will get 20 lvls.. in a bit more than 1 hour..

also dont buy rare gear.. use cheap trinkets , runes, that gives you DPS and always use food… (check on food gw2) any question i can help in game.. currently teaching my girlfriend how to play gw2… :P again this tips are only if you want to level as fast as possible.. add me in game if you need something gl