LoL taking content from Guild Wars 2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/images/news/April_2014/BRR/BR-SS_thumb.jpg

Braum…

looks like Braham…

and its even appearance wise, isnt this stealing content?

Posted by: Rob.4081

Rob.4081

kitten you’re right they look very similar!!

Even that champion is coming from “The frozen peaks of the Freljord” as stated on their site… And his skills ae all ice-related… :P

I’m speechless, it’s too much of a coincidence…

PS: I think this should’ve been posted on another subforum, instead of “Players Helping Players” ;-)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Doesn’t look that similar to me.

Apparent ages are different (Braham looks much younger), hair (or lack of it), facial hair (or lack of it), tattoos not the same.

If you are going by they are both male, then maybe.

Attachments:

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Even if they would look similar, that’s what LoL does “stealing” character ideas.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

Like Anet didn’t do the same for Scarlet when Jinx came around…
Both use big guns and tech, both have pigtails, both are supposed to be mad
Even if they came up with the same character because of some mainstream thing instead of deliberately “getting ispiration” from the character, it’s kinda absurd.

http://ddragon.leagueoflegends.com/cdn/img/champion/splash/Jinx_0.jpg
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/241846.jpg

http://images.gamenguide.com/data/images/full/10057/lol-jinx.png?w=720
http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/2e1a45b592f83168ee28cfcc79218c89/scarlet.jpg

The only difference is that one has the art style of LoL and the other the art style of GW2

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

Are they “stealing” character ideas, or drawing on inspiration from the games they enjoy?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

They are not taking content. The closest they’d be doing is using content as a basis for new content creation.

As long as the creators of the original content cannot (or wish not to) send a cease and desist letter, it is not a problem. Even if it was purposeful, shoutouts help the game that has their content used as inspiration.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And that folks is what is called appropriation! Its legal to do but not really liked and can be a borderline copyright issue by some over zealous legal firms. In art its loved and never frowned upon as it recycles old art and refreshes ideas putting them in a new light at the cost of the original losing its self worth or most of it (not so bad on very old art like the MONA LISA). With books, music, tv and gaming, not so much.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Other than being male, I’m not seeing how these 2 guys resemble each other. Braum is a stereotypical burly half dressed barbarian type. His appearance is typical of that type of fantasy trope. There are very few ways to portray male barbarian types and both Braum and Braham fit. Of course there is going to be overlap. Other than they both fit into that fantasy category, how do they look similar?

Not age.
Not the face.
Not the hair.
Not the tattoos.
Not the facial hair.

What exactly? They are both male and their names sound similar?

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Not even close.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

Even if they would look similar, that’s what LoL does “stealing” character ideas.

Stealing…right… Because guildwars 2 was the first to introduce large men covered in tattoos with a stupidly big shield with a ram design. me and alot of other gamers here could list off piles of games with characters who have similar shoulder pads, tattoos, ram designed shields, and barely dressed Vikings something even more then just 1 of the above.

#ELEtism

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They are barely similar at all. That’s like pointing at any fat bald Caucasian character and saying they ripped off Homer Simpson. Both characters are based on real-life norsemen. You can’t copyright a real world culture, and therefore you can’t steal from one.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Stealing…right… Because guildwars 2 was the first to introduce large men covered in tattoos with a stupidly big shield with a ram design. me and alot of other gamers here could list off piles of games with characters who have similar shoulder pads, tattoos, ram designed shields, and barely dressed Vikings something even more then just 1 of the above.

No, Riot Games have been “stealing” characters for years. For more information search that on google ; a good exemple would be Vayne which looks EXACTLY like a manga character for exemple (and looks even like some other characters), and Nashor / Roshan if you don’t wanna look too far. However as stated before this is common, and although Riot did it a lot, this is how it works.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.