Looking for decision-making help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: itachimichi.6324

itachimichi.6324

Hey all,
I’m kinda returning newbie. i played a bit a year ago, want to spend some time here again but i still don’t have a clue on which class. I have a lvl 80 mesmer and some twinks. somehow my mesmer is the only one that got that far, i tend to create and delete chars pretty quickly. When thinking about what i really want i realized that maybe its the weapons… I really like to have a greatsword /staff or staff/greatsword character.
My mesmer s currently skilled like this http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mesmer_-_Fast_and_Flurrious_Runner and its okay but if i got that right thats a open world running around build and not that good for everything else. I never tried dungeons so far and only did a little wvwvw in some zergs. Mostly leveld her with gs/staff, i am not used to the other weapon combos.

What would be the best class if i want to use one oder both of these weapon types? I would like to see making a legendary as a far goal, thats why i want a class that can make good use of greatswords or staves.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

If you want to stick with your mesmer since you have a bad habit of deleting low level alts (you’re not alone) you may not be pleased with at the moment. That being the case you might be best off asking some profession specific questions over at the mesmer forum, and reading up on mesmer guides.

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

What would be the best class if i want to use one oder both of these weapon types? I would like to see making a legendary as a far goal, thats why i want a class that can make good use of greatswords or staves.

As of now, the only other profession that can use both greatswords and staves is the Guardian.

Besides that, the last profession that uses Greatswords, and do so profusely, are Warriors.

On the other hand, both Necromancers and Elementalists have appropriate uses of staves.

Posted by: Nova.3814

Nova.3814

Disclaimer: My advice goes by efficiency and meta, ofcourse you can play how-ever you want to play and I encourage you to do so. I just figured if that was the goal you’d simply look up which classes can use the weapons rather than post here, if that was your goal however:
Greatsword: Guardian, Warrior, Mesmer, Ranger.
Staff: Guardian, Mesmer, Necromancer, Elementalist.

Staff-wise I’d say Elementalist definitly sees the most use of a Staff, however Guardian, Necromancer and Mesmer all have good use for it aswell in sPvP and WvW, just not quite as popular in PvE. In PvE most people focus completely around damage on their weapons as the utility they provide is often unneeded and the truth is for anything but Elementalist staves tend to be very utility-focussed.

Greatsword-wise in PvE both Guardian and Warrior are a safe-choice. Both weapons provide good damage (though tend to be used in conjunction with another set for optimal results.) For Mesmer it’s more of a PvP-weapon; it’s damage is rather shabby and very burst-focussed (at the cost of sustain) packed with (unneeded for PvE) utility such as a boon-strip, non-groupwide might and a pushback, but in sPvP all those things are very beloved. For Ranger it’s rather popular in sPvP and WvW, good burst, some utility such as a block and a daze, but in PvE it will nearly always be inferior to Swords damage (though Sword can be harsh on the dodging.)

If you want to get more into other parts of the game http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki is a good place to start, they provide builds for any content. Overall carrying nearly every possible weapon for your class isn’t a bad idea, almost every weapon has some use somewhere.

Posted by: itachimichi.6324

itachimichi.6324

thank you all. I am currently toying around with a guardian and a necro , might take another look at the elementalist too. I figured that if going for a legendary would be my goal it would make sense to main a class that can use the desired weapons most of the time.