Looking for general advice! :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

Hi!

I am a returning player looking for advice on the state of the game (ish), basically wondering what ‘meta’ activities are happening. I logged in for a few hours yesterday evening thinking I’d find a new guild and ask them, but I lurked in DR/LA for ages and didn’t see a single Guild Ad. I thought maybe it was the population of my server so I guested on a high pop to try get different instances but still didn’t see any (yes Map chat was on!) so here I am on the forum :)

Due to my lack of a guild I’m looking for things that can be done solo (or easily pugged with no dramallama!) I am not really interested in the sPvP scene as I don’t have the time or inclination to practice and grind myself up to a skill level I’d be happy with. WvW is an option as my other half is in a roaming guild, but watching him on and off the past few months I’m not sure it really tickles my pickle, and the duelling scene is something I’d not touch with a barge pole.

Think my personal Fractal level is around 75, but I don’t like pugging stuff that high, and really I was only doing them for the backpack, so I’d want a more coordinated group for the final tier of achievements. However as I mentioned I’m a loner and cloning technology isn’t at a point where I could make a team of just me. (Though I’m sure we’d never agree on anything.)

I did a bit of Raiding when they appeared post-HoT. But after raiding in so many other games the past 10 years, I feel I’m past the point of being interested in them. Plus if I don’t have the people for a Fractal, where am I going to find a raid party?

I was thinking about doing some Legendaries? I know this system has had a bit of a shake up for precursors, so some advice on whether the journeys are worth the time/effort vs. buying them would be nice. I love following GW universe lore, and the stuff I did when they initially came out was filled with great flavour text and tidbits.

TL;DR -

1. How do people find Guilds now? (Didn’t see adverts ingame, most forum guild posts seem to be NA guilds.)

2. Whats popular for farming gold? (I have around 15 level 80s, used to do a lot of gathering; lemongrass, orichalcum, flax seeds etc.) Whats worth it right now? Are there champ farms?

3. Any general advice for a returning player? :)

Thanks for reading!

S/F Asuran Elementalist

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

1. Popular guilds are simply by a ask and demand method in any city. Just give a shout in any city and you oughta get like 50 whispers, pronto.

2. There are several fruitful things to do, depending on what you want. If it’s generally gold making; Auric Basin has a multiloot systeem at the moment. It’s when you join a squad that has groups spread out over several instances, whereafter clearing the meta event, you open the chests on all instances. Farming crafting materials isn’t very worthy anymore. Flax is still decent, though. Right now (wintersday) farming gifts and farming karma to buy gifts is popular because presents sell for at least 5s each.

3. Do fractals, join meta event maps, etc etc. You’ll come in touch with the active playerbase and then you can see what they do

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

Hello and welcome back! I also quit about a year after the release, and came back after HoT was released (been playing nonstop since, woops!)

1) Like Amaimon said, give a shout in any major city or any map that has activity going on. You can also check out the World Boss guide online, show up before the event, and you’ll see tons of guild advertisements in the map chat. However, since the Megaservers were introduced (meaning all PvE servers were merged together), you might find yourself from an empty map. The LFG tool comes in handy here, you can find yourself a squad with people, join the squad, and right-click their names to join an instance of the map with more players in it. Sorry if I’m explaining no-brainers here, I just don’t know how familiar you are with the game’s modern mechanics

2. The Auric Basin Multiloot is the most popular gold farming event as far as I know, for the expansion owners. The new LS3 maps are also very lucrative, for HoT owners as well. If you don’t own the expansion, go to Silverwastes and Dry Top (if you have LS2 unlocked). If you only have the core game, I honestly don’t know where the most effective gold gain is these days. Fractals and raids I guess?

3. The game has changed ALOT. Take your time to readjust to the mechanics and to the world, don’t rush anything or it might get really overwhelming. If you don’t own HoT and start playing actively again, get that. Do world bosses, dungeons, fractals, raids, whatever feels fun to you. Set yourself a goal and work towards it. Find nice achievements that you want to complete.

I think that covers the most. Welcome back and good luck on your travels

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

T4 fractals are a lot better than T3 since you’ll be playing with people that actually know how to play the game. If you can use your active damage mitigation skills effectively to not die and CC breakbars quickly, that’s really all you have to know

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Yobculture.5786)