Lost, Confused, New to Guild Wars 2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Q:

Greetings & Welcome to Guild Wars 2!

Learning the ropes can often times be difficult. Faced with a legion of foes and information making sense of it can often be daunting. If you’ve just arrived on our shores and could use a helpful hand please reply to this post and I will mail you a Guild Wars 2 Welcome Kit. Inside this kit you will find some useful items and information to help you get started.

As always if you ever have any questions about the game feel free to contact me directly at Foghladha.2506 and I’ll be happy to try my hand at answering.

May the road rise to meet you!

Useful Information for New Players

For help contact me at: Foghladha.2506

Here’s some useful information I’ve created for you:

As always you can type /wiki in game to find additional information about anything. Example: “/wiki world bosses”. It will automatically open a web browser to the wiki site. This is one of the best ways to get information quick.

Feel free to join me on the Gaiscioch Discord server if you ever want to bounce a question off me. I’m happy to help and hang out in Discord most days almost all day.
http://gsch.info/voice

Guild Membership NOT Required!

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

(edited by Foghladha.2506)

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Soooo “join my guild and you get something” ?

Foghladha.2506

Nope, don’t need to join any guild. Gaiscioch is a community focused guild that tries to help new players in games get started. We’ve been doing this since Dark Age of Camelot. We have a long history of this. We also host a whole range of inclusive events for everyone in the game. No rep, no guild, no requirements at all.

We are also the community that hosted the Great Tyrian Adventure where in all we gave away 10 Legendary Weapons to attendees who largely were not Gaiscioch members. We have given away thousands of items over the past 2 years and will continue to do so.

Just looking to help players get off the ground.

Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Foghladha.2506

The only thing I am “Looking For” is new players to help get started. I’m not trying to recruit for a Server or a Guild. Just simply stating that my Guild is offering welcome kits to new players looking for help.

“Players Helping Players” What else is this forum about if not to help one another?

Foghladha.2506

If your looking for a reason why someone would do something like this I’ll tell you. Look at your replies. The world has become jaded. Surely good intentions don’t exist anymore.

A long time ago on my very first day in Dark Age of Camelot, my first MMORPG , I was alone, lost and confused and had no clue what to do or how to play. A fir blog Druid by the name Roac, who was not in any guild, sa me wondering around aimlessly and asked of I needed help. I said yes and he spent the next hour gearing me up, giving me some spending money and teaching me how to play. Why? Because he felt someone should. He did not do it to recruit me into a guild or for personal reasons he did it because he saw a person in need.

Kindness is a rare trait these days. I felt the need to create an entire community that walks the same path. Helps people in need, requires nothing of them and supports those in need regardless of the tag above their head.

I refuse to let kindness and compassion for our fellow man die by the wastes side and sit idlely by. Even if I’m the only one trying I will continue to try. If I remember the actions of 1 person 13 years ago, it shows you just the impact it can have on a person’s life whend you do that which others choose not to and help someone in their hour of need.

That is why for the past 2 years I have passed out welcome kits in Guild Wars 2. I typically frequent Queensdale and Metrica.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Heh, this is adorable and very rare to see. I wish you all you luck and best wishs on this!

I did have one concern, although this is a postive thread about helping so Ill leave it.

Foghladha.2506

I referenced our site, so people who have encountered us in DAOC, WAR, RIFT, ESO, or GW2 will recognize us as a group of people that goes out of our way to help others.

I referenced the Sanctum of Rall post as, our server was named after a man who also gave everything and asked for nothing in return that just happened to be one of our members.

I reference the events because those are open to Everyone, hosted in SORC a temporary event guild we only use for getting people loot every week. We invite people at the start of the event. The guild is dormant until the next event. The only reason it is in existence is to act as a container so that anyone and everyone can get the game rewards. It’s not a guild. If the game didn’t require people to represent it wouldn’t even exist.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It’s like being the bad guy when you state something about a post… Well that isn’t very nice of you

Though I still don’t think this should be in this section of the forums.

You are part of a guild, and a community, and that server.
Though you may not be looking for it but indirectly you are promoting those.

It’s great that you want to help new players at no costs whatsoever, seriously kudo’s.
But if this is allowed, we can just wait for other players to make similar posts about handing out free stuff to new players. (with hidden intentions to get new recruits etc?)

Am I the only one who feels like this? :P

And why shouldn’t the guild get credit for stepping up and helping new players?

Mentioning server is important. What if the new player is wanting to test the waters of WvW?

And having a link to the guild website is useful. In case they want to know what times would be best to contact the guild to do something. During the weekly WvW romp may not be the time to ask for a dungeon run. That’s not to say that it would be fruitless, but the better shot would be to wait for when the WvW romp was over.

Or if they wanted to check out Guild related events.

And I highly doubt that this guild would have any issue with other guilds offering the same.

Posted by: Nirim.6789

Nirim.6789

So, Im probaly as new as it gets to these kind of games,
My very first mmorpg that is not 2D. Hurray!

Any suggestions on what class I should play?
Im pretty much a lone wolf since i dont have any rl’s to play with, maybe i can convince one or 2 to play with me , but i need a class that can stand on its own just fine.

Nirim.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

Im pretty much a lone wolf since i dont have any rl’s to play with, maybe i can convince one or 2 to play with me , but i need a class that can stand on its own just fine.

Nirim.

Hi Nirim! I’d suggest warrior as you’re starting if you are looking for something that is fairly easy to pick up. Guardian might also be something you want to look into. Both classes deal decent damage and you should be able to stand on you own with them

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Foghladha.2506

Nirim.

If you like playing from afar and don’t mind a bit of Kiting (Running in circles while shooting things), you might want to give Mesmer or Ranger a try. Both of them are ranged classes with pets that give you a better chance of survival. Ranger is easy enough to play you don’t need a whole lot of MMORPG experience to do it. My daughter, my wife, and my mom all play rangers because it’s easiest to learn.

Foghladha.2506

And why shouldn’t the guild get credit for stepping up and helping new players?

Mentioning server is important. What if the new player is wanting to test the waters of WvW?

And having a link to the guild website is useful. In case they want to know what times would be best to contact the guild to do something. During the weekly WvW romp may not be the time to ask for a dungeon run. That’s not to say that it would be fruitless, but the better shot would be to wait for when the WvW romp was over.

Or if they wanted to check out Guild related events.

And I highly doubt that this guild would have any issue with other guilds offering the same.

What about all those other helpfull guilds that posted nicely in “Looking For”?

This is an unfair advantage imo, it’s giving credit to a guild/server whilst other guilds can’t do this in “Players helping Players”. Well they can, but then they’ve got to make the exact same style-type of topic.

When every guild would be doing this, “Players helping Players” will turn into a “Looking For” 2.0

I understand your fears however there is a BIG difference between what I’m doing and what you find in “Looking For”

Players Helping Players – Designed to allow players to help one another. Via asking questions or offering support.

Looking for – Designed to allow players to recruit for their guilds or servers.

While Players Helping Players is about “Giving”, Looking for is about “Getting”. I am not looking to “Get” anything, I am merely looking to “Give” new players a welcome kit to get them off the ground which contains several useful things to a new player. This is not meant to be some tricky kind of guild recruitment scheme.

If your child had cancer, and you went to St. Jude’s Childrens hospital, you would not be charged a dime for care. However you would know that it was out of St. Jude’s kindness and care that your childs would receive treated.

This is important because Reputation speaks for itself. If players have encountered us in prior games they will know this isn’t some recruitment scheme. That we genuinely want to help and care about others. It is important that new players know who they can talk to if they have a question and know us by our reputation in case our paths cross in the future. Whether you choose to accept it or not, charities have names. Yet charities help people. Gaiscioch does this in game and out.

We are not looking to bolster our numbers we’re looking to help out our fellow player. Whether their Gaiscioch or not. Now if every guild in Guild Wars 2 did this, I’d be ecstatic because that means that every guild in GW2 is putting people above guild tags. Helping people even if they aren’t one of their own.

In the end this isn’t about us, it’s about caring for others and putting them first. If I was concerned about bolstering our numbers don’t you think I’d actually have a “Looking for” post? Numbers don’t interest me, smiles do.

Foghladha.2506

If your child had cancer, and you went to St. Jude’s Childrens hospital, you would not be charged a dime for care. However you would know that it was out of St. Jude’s kindness and care that your childs would receive treated.

It’s a game, leave this stuff out of conversations…
Anyhow, I’ll remove my posts and wish you the best

Yes it’s a game, but charitable organizations are mentioned in their collateral. I used this analogy because Gaiscioch has been committed to helping St. Jude’s Childrens hospitals for the past 4 years. Through the ExtraLife event and through our toy drives. They are the most familiar charity for me to reference and most people know who they are and what they do.

Posted by: Corvette.5687

Corvette.5687

I understand why people question the OP a lot. Today, being caution is an important thing to do in real world. Helping people like you do, quite dangerous in the real world, is the most wonderful thing I have ever seen in MMORPG. I sometimes give new player gold and stuff, bring them to fun areas and events.

Do not listen to anyone who try to make fun of you or fool you. Just do what you want to the end, and the result will show itself.

Schizophrenic player

Foghladha.2506

I know there’s a lot of new people out there. You will likely see me roaming the new player zones passing out welcome kits. Be sure to send me a tell for some stuff to get you started. We’ve got lots of it to pass out to our new brothers in arms in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: OhHaYoung.8057

OhHaYoung.8057

Hello, I’m new to guild wars 2 and would love have the welcome kit!!

Foghladha.2506

You have mail OhHaYoung

Posted by: OhHaYoung.8057

OhHaYoung.8057

Thanks alot!! I really appreciate it!! Hope to see you in game soon!

Posted by: stabetha.4059

stabetha.4059

I’m new to GW been playing WOW for like 8 years and I’ve tried other MMO’s but knew right away I didn’t like them, but so far I kind of like GW . We’ll see what the future holds.

Posted by: Yobbles.7569

Yobbles.7569

Evening, I am not a new player (quit after 1st or 2nd month) cannot remember honestly. Now that I have reinstalled the game though I am completely lost. i am not sure if I should delete the toons I had and start over, suggestions?

Posted by: OniiRaven.6370

OniiRaven.6370

Hi, Im new to the GW series, still haven’t been able to find the “one” mmorpg that’ll get me hooked, been swapping through games and wanted to try GW2 , because of the sale. and I have to say it’s looking good.

Foghladha.2506

Welcome to Guild Wars 2 Stabetha, Yobbles, and OniiRaven. You all have mail. Enjoy!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Unlike other MMOs, you shouldn’t fear seeing, being helped by or help another player (in PvE). All material nodes and individually instanced, no mad rush to get there first. No shared loot, if you do more than some relatively small percentage of damage, you will receive loot. Same is true with XP, no XP loot pool to split. Everyone can rez fallen players and NPCs. Everyone can heal themselves. Everyone has melee and range attacks (eventually) as well as underwater attack skills. Everyone has support skills.

There isn’t traditional roles of Tank, Healer, DPS. Professions don’t have that extreme degree of specialization. Fighting is more dynamic, nearly all skills can be used on the move and the best way to survive is to move and dodge.

You can pretty much get XP from just about every activity other than standing around. Explore maps and unlock way points, vistas and points of interest as well as unveiling new areas of the map, XP. Crafting goods, XP. Gathering materials, XP. Rezzing fallen players and NPCs, XP. Playing in lower level areas, XP based on your true level (yes you can level to 80 in the starting zone, but big world so why?). Critters off the beaten path that have persisted for awhile since they had spawned, XP bonus for conking them about the head and shoulders. And this isn’t even talking about dynamic events and hearts (drive by quests).

Edit: And you don’t every have to do them if you don’t want to. Everything is optional in this game. Personal story, Living story, Renown Hearts, Dynamic Events. You shouldn’t feel obligated to do anything in a particular order or any activity that you feel like doing. That said exploring just to unlock waypoints so you can use them in the future is quite helpful.

What you won’t see is a rail system to guide players from X to Y to Z. You won’t be required to visit NPC, get quest, revist NPC for reward. Quests are assigned if you are near them and rewards automatically rewarded when done. Only reason to visit the quest giver, which appears as a heart on the map, is if you are unsure what you are suppose to do or need special gear. After completion the quest giver turns into an NPC vendor who will by your junk (junk is a class of near worthless drops) and offer exclusive items for sale that are level appropriate for that area. Sometimes crafting recipes and materials as well.

Can’t really talk about PvP, it’s something I don’t do. WvW is World vs World (vs World) which is like capture the flag with siege weapons between 3 servers across 4 maps.

This should give you a bit of an outline of the game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Foghladha.2506

I also lead 3 weekly Missions & Tequatl events open to everyone in Guild Wars 2. My cohort Soren runs an addition 2 Tequatl 2-for-1 BBQ events open to everyone as well. You can read more about them at:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/events/GW2-Community-Missions-Tequatl-Events

All players, new or veteran welcome. Instructions and temporary invites will be provided. You can watch these events livestreamed at: http://www.twitch.tv/thegaisciochfamily if you are curious.

Posted by: Jettaxx.9138

Jettaxx.9138

Could I grab a welcome kit? thanks!

Foghladha.2506

You have mail Jettaxx enjoy!

Foghladha.2506

Ok who needs a welcome kit today? They’re burning holes in my bags

Posted by: BackStabbedbyaPitchfork.2754

BackStabbedbyaPitchfork.2754

me me me… lol

Foghladha.2506

I got you BackStabbedbyaPitchfork.2754 You’ve got mail!

Posted by: OniiRaven.6370

OniiRaven.6370

I just logged in,Thank you so much for your help

Posted by: LucasFerreira.8042

LucasFerreira.8042

I would like to have one as well if possible. Thanks in advance.

Foghladha.2506

You have mail LucasFerreira

Posted by: Rosewind.6215

Rosewind.6215

I just started playing last night and would love a welcome package and any helpful tips for a newcomer lol

Rose

Foghladha.2506

You have mail waiting for you Rosewind

Foghladha.2506

Bumping for new players

Foghladha.2506

Now roaming queensdale come say hi

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Evening, I am not a new player (quit after 1st or 2nd month) cannot remember honestly. Now that I have reinstalled the game though I am completely lost. i am not sure if I should delete the toons I had and start over, suggestions?

No, don’t. Veteran characters made before April 2014 have some benefits that make leveling them much easier – all their traits are unlocked. So if you have any characters made before that month they should definitely stick around.

My advice is to just get out into the world and start running around a starting zone. That will get you used to the game again. Good luck!

Posted by: ironbeast.5960

ironbeast.5960

Hey guys im new to the game trying to make the right choice for server any advice? id like a welcome package if possible =)

Foghladha.2506

You have mail ironbeast. Servers only really come into play if your wanting to WvW. Then you need to decide which you want to be a part of. Hard Core servers where you MUST know your stuff or get off the field, Casual Servers where you can bring a level 2 out and nobody cares, but your not likely to win anything. Or somewhere in between.

My personal favorites:

Hard Core (Tier 1): Tarnished Coast (Go RPers!)
Mid Core: Northern Shiverpeaks
Soft Core: Sanctum of Rall (but i’m biased. Sorrows Furnace and Kaineng both are good choices here too from those i’ve had the pleasure of fighting against)

It all comes down to how you want to play WvW. The closer to the top, the more zerg heavy, the lower tiers you’ll find some good 1 v 1, 2 v 1, and some small scale warfare. A zerg in T8 is 20 people. It’s all a matter of how you want to play.

P.S. if you decide you want to transfer and end up deleting your characters to do it free of charge, send all your stuff to Foghladha.2506 with the subject Bounce and I’ll shoot it right back to you so it doesn’t get destroyed when you delete your characters. Based on what you’ve already got waiting for you in your mailbox, that will speak of my character.

Posted by: TinyTitan.2896

TinyTitan.2896

Hi there! It’s so great to have people like you around. I just joined the game 2 days ago and I’m kinda always lost. I think the game do not have that much hand-holding, shall we say.
I too would love the welcome kit or just a bag would be great also, I’m using that 4-slot bag lol. Thank you so much!
Oh and 1 question: what should I do with all the blue/green items I’m getting? They are not worth much in TP. Should I just use the crude salvage kit on them? Or is there another option?
Well maybe another one Which kinds of chests should I save and not open now?
Thanks again so much!

Foghladha.2506

Green & Blue Items: Salvage or Vendor. Please note, that Tier 2 – 5 mats sell better than T6 mats. They are very hard to get later on after you pass that tier. It’s best to save those mats up for when you decide to take up crafting and sell the excess on the TP. They are very valuable and high level players would rather buy them off the TP than farm them. It’s a good way to earn some coin quick.

Chests: The first time I leveled up from 2-80 in WvW I opened everything. This fed me gear as I leveled up. However the second character I leveled up I stockpiled them all to till I hit 80 and opened up all 700+ of them at that point and they produced a ton of top level materials and coin. So it’s really up to you. Do you need it now or can it wait. Do realize they will have a lot of free levels and skill points hidden inside as well.

Foghladha.2506

Thank you to the new players that came out and unlocked the shadow behemoth portal achievement today. You guys were all awesome listeners and I’m really glad everyone had a great time. Feel free to hit me up if you have any additional questions or needs some guidance. Happy to help.

Posted by: Kyris.9615

Kyris.9615

I am very new to Guild Wars. I am an older player and I have tried playing some of the newer games (Neverwinter Nights & Champions) but it just gets very overwhelming. SO many thing that you can do with your characters and sometimes just WAY too many choices. It’s like being thrown into the deep end of the ocean, much less the pool.

I understand the need for lots of options and choices. You need a game with high amounts of replayability. But for me just starting out in a game it’s too much.

So yes – I could use help please. LOL. I’m playing a Norn Ranger. Any items you think would help, any links to forum posts i should read, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your willingness to help all us newbs!

Posted by: RollSix.7384

RollSix.7384

Hi,

I’m entirely new to GW2. My friend and I were planning on playing the game together as a Guardian and Thief/Elementalist combo. Would this be a good combination for most content?

Any items that you could spare to help us get ourselves going would be very gratefully received also

Foghladha.2506

You should both have mail waiting for you. Theif Ele combo would work very nicely together

Posted by: Gastlylantern.3761

Gastlylantern.3761

Hello!
I am a brand spanking new player, and would love a welcome kit. I will be joining your realm Sanctum of Rall, and look forward to seeing you in-game. Are there any tips you could give me to increase my enjoyment of the game on that realm? Thank you for creating this thread and taking the time to help us newbs.

Gastlylantern

Foghladha.2506

You have mail Gastly. For the most part realms don’t matter outside of WvW. In WvW SOR focuses a lot on small group warfare. Sticking and moving. Taking a lot of ground at the same time. Some servers like to Karma Train with one giant zerg sweeping from one objective to another. We typically like to hit everything at once and flip as much as possible as fast as possible while trying to hang onto what we can. What I can tell you about SOR is that you want to make sure to create an account at http://www.sanctumofrall.com/ Just logging in each week to it enters you in a raffle for exotic weapons. You can raise your chances of winning prizes by participating in WvW or leading WvW as well. Then theres monthly raffles for a full set of level 80 exotic armor containers as well and weekly Realm Rewards raffles based on how well our server does each week. These raffles start with Exotic Weapons and progress all the way to full sets of ascended materials to precursors in the off chance we break 500k during a week.

Posted by: Gastlylantern.3761

Gastlylantern.3761

Awesome! Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the advice!

Gastlylantern

Posted by: skruffs.1075

skruffs.1075

Hi I’m new, well a week old now and trying different classes, my ranger, a elemental and a mesmer. My ranger is my highest lvl atm and I could use help, shes 40 and ive just been doing quests and have also popped into wvw, that was fun! dead confusing tho but got better once i found loads of people to run around with lol

Posted by: Azrael.4175

Azrael.4175

Howdy,

I haven’t played GW2 since probably shortly after launch, and even then about all I have as far as characters go is a level 40 something warrior, and I think a level 3 elementalist.

I logged into the game last night to poke around, had all sorts of notifications on things being different and basically am at a point of being horribly lost. I can’t recall what I was doing with my Norn warrior two-ish years ago but as far as I can tell he’s in the Charr main city, and his armor looks like he’s some form of exotic dancer. O_o

If your welcome package gives me a bit more of a clue on how to be a bit less of a lonely lost puppy, then I would love one.