Lost, Confused, New to Guild Wars 2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Raphael Sabrewing.8603

Raphael Sabrewing.8603

Completely new to the game, still in tutorial, would greatly appreciate Welcome Kit.

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

I believe I got all three of you something you could use

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Chrineal.6780

Chrineal.6780

Just entered the game as well. Haven’t a single clue what I should be doing. Almost seems like there is too much to do that I don’t know where to start!
And welcome kit would be nice

Foghladha.2506

You have mail Chrineal Enjoy!

Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Foghladha.2506

Roaming Queensdale again, who needs a welcome kit!

Posted by: Invari.4627

Invari.4627

Hello! I just started the game a couple days ago as an Elementalist and would love a welcome kit. Thanks

Foghladha.2506

You have mail Invari

Posted by: Elyssandariel.2679

Elyssandariel.2679

I am “kind of” new. I have had the game a long time but haven’t played much. None of my characters were above level 18. I think that’s the highest I got last time I played. I deleted all my characters and started fresh. Most of my characters are in the single digits and I have one ranger in the 22 range. May I please have a welcome kit? My guild consists of me and my best friend, I’d love to show her the welcome kit stuff

Foghladha.2506

You have mail Elyssandariel!

Posted by: Zhaeli.5416

Zhaeli.5416

Hail and well met, Foghladha. I am very late to the Guild Wars 2 party, having just joined two days ago. It has been a bit overwhelming to start up a new game and I find myself facing outdated info on the internet to some of my basic questions. I would dearly welcome the Gaiscioch Welcome Kit. I thank you for your kindness, always.

Foghladha.2506

Zhaeli.5416 just mailed you off a kit enjoy!

Posted by: fullhouse.3405

fullhouse.3405

Hi! I just started playing GW2 again after a long long time. Never had the chance to level my character because of busy schedule. I only got level 22 ele, and thief and ranger in the high teens. Would really love a welcome kit! Thanks

Posted by: effX.3684

effX.3684

Hi, I haven’t been playing very long (just a month or so), but definitely appreciate any help Foghladha. There’s a lot in this game. It’s great there is a friendly community in GW2 and always someone around for assistance.

Foghladha.2506

fullhouse.3405 & effX.3684 You have mail waiting for you when you login next enjoy!

Posted by: Grid.4970

Grid.4970

Hello, I just recently started playing again. I haven’t played since a few months after launch and I am unsure of all the changes! Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by: Electroless.5483

Electroless.5483

Hi Foglandha! I think what you’re doing is great, I picked up GW2 at launch and was just so lost that I ended up dropping it after a few weeks. Now I have a few friends that want to try it out and I decided to dust off the old adventurers cap and try the game out again.

I’d really appreciate any help you can provide, and wouldn’t mind grabbing a welcome kit either! Thanks again!

Posted by: Eiahn.5347

Eiahn.5347

I am new to this game as well. Any help, advice, tips or what not is definitely a welcome sight!

Posted by: PitmanIan.7941

PitmanIan.7941

I have played GW1 but tried getting into GW2 at launch, played a bit but if you have somethign that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Foghladha.2506

Grid, Electroless, Eiahn, and Pitmanlan you all have kits waiting for ya when you login next. Enjoy!

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Hey Fogh! It’s awesome finding someone that does the same thing I do when I find a newbie!

Out of interest, What do you put in yours? I generally send 2x 15 slot bag, 4x dye based on their preference, 20x low level food/util and 3g.

(Not meaning to blow my own horn, genuinely interested if you got any inclusions I did not think of).

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Foghladha.2506

I’ll send you in a private message. If people know what i’m giving they tend to send me tells posing as new players when they have more AP then me so they can just sell what i’m giving. I don’t give gold, i give things people need in their first days.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Posted by: Eiahn.5347

Eiahn.5347

Thank you for taking the time to put together a welcome kit, answering my questions and giving me advices! Truly appreciated.

Posted by: jyuu.1539

jyuu.1539

I just bought this game over the weekend and I have no idea what I’m doing haha it’s a lot different from other mmorpg I’ve played. Any help appreciated!!

Posted by: Spammy.7102

Spammy.7102

Hey i played the game for the 1st month when it came out but got hacked and kinda lost interest after that. Was thinking of picking the game back up and was wondering if you could recommend a good active american server to play on? no need for the welcome pack just some advice =)

Foghladha.2506

Jyuu, and Spammy, you both have mail. Sorry for the delay had a busy weekend. Enjoy!

Posted by: Matchpears.7365

Matchpears.7365

Hi! I dropped this game a few months ago now I’m back but still confuse about some stuff in this game.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Hi! I dropped this game a few months ago now I’m back but still confuse about some stuff in this game.

Like? We aren’t Carnac here.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

That’s a great reference.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Matchpears.7365

Oh just these problems

1) What should I do with my equipments that I no longer need it?
2) If you’re gonna tell me to savage them, why should I do it?
3) I’m confuse about the types of savage kits. There’s too many
4) If I want to earn gold for gems where should I start?
5) Should I level up my crafting skill? What are the benefits?

Foghladha.2506

1) What should I do with my equipments that I no longer need it?

Sell it on Trading Post (for max profit) or Vendor, Salvage it, or Mystic Forge it

2) If you’re gonna tell me to savage them, why should I do it?

Low level crafting supplies are harder to come by at max level. There are a lot of max level people who will pay top dollar for them on TP.

3) I’m confuse about the types of savage kits. There’s too many

Use the basic one for all white weapons, gold ones for Rare + (Yellow & Orange) if you don’t have any of the bigger ones (Mystic Forge created or Gem Bought)

4) If I want to earn gold for gems where should I start?

Farm low level crafting supplies such as Linen and sell them on Trading Post. Also run world boss train for maximum yellows which you can sell on TP for 25-50 silver each. Guild Mission runs also net very nice profits and you can use your karma to buy items to throw in the Mystic Forge which can result in precursors and exotics.

5) Should I level up my crafting skill? What are the benefits?

Yes, Only you can craft you ascended gear. You can’t buy it anywhere. There are only 2 ways to get it. Craft it or wait for it to drop off a creature. Additionally you will level up by doing so and will be able to flip a profit selling certain items on the TP. My Advice is do all professions on the same character. You can swap at any time and not lose your progress. A lot of recipes are shared and you’ll save money by having 1 character master them all rather than spreading it around and having to learn the same recipe multiple times.

Matchpears.7365

Wow that was fast. Anyway thanks Foghladha for helping me

Foghladha.2506

Not a problem. Here to help

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

That’s a great reference.

I love it but nobody under 30 is going to get it….Johnny Carson hasn’t been on the tonight show since 1992. My 21 year old son has no idea who he is…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Behellagh.1468

Same outcome as using Princess Bride quotes around clueless hipster friends. It’s a filter to find others with the same exposure to pop culture that you have. Those that acknowledge it should be the people you get to know better than trying to educate your friends.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: kindofabuzz.9357

kindofabuzz.9357

Is this offer still available? Just started playing about a week ago but haven’t been able to the last few days due to the fps drop bug brought on by the new patch.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Same outcome as using Princess Bride quotes around clueless hipster friends. It’s a filter to find others with the same exposure to pop culture that you have. Those that acknowledge it should be the people you get to know better than trying to educate your friends.

Indubitably.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Foghladha.2506

You have mail kindofabuzz.9357

Posted by: idiotism.3047

idiotism.3047

Hey. New GW2 player here. I’ve played quite a few MMOs including World of Warcraft since EU release but left a few months ago. Trying out Guild Wars 2 to fill the void and I’d love some help and knowledge.

I’ve not spent much time on the game yet however having experienced players sharing their knowledge and the ins and outs of the game and mechanics would be great.

Posted by: lewcid.7396

lewcid.7396

Hello. I’m new to the game too and glad to see a friendly community. Would also appreciate a welcome kit if there is one available! Thanks!

Posted by: RoboPanda.1907

RoboPanda.1907

Hello! I am new to Guild Wars 2, but have been playing other MMOs for a while now (WoW, SWTOR, Aion,etc.) Looking for any help and support to get me started with my time on Guild Wars 2. Thank you!

Foghladha.2506

idiotism.3047, lewcid.7396,RoboPanda.1907 you have mail

Posted by: Venomous.7683

Venomous.7683

Hello there, I need a little help with a few things that are still somewhat unclear to me….This is a bit long but please bear with me

1. What’s the best way to make money in this game? Generally I sell everything I can on the trading post such as armor and weapons but keep my crafting materials as I feel I may need them in the future. In doing this I’ve made about 20g but I feel I should have way more. Almost as if I’m missing out on some money making tactic that’s common knowledge to all but has alluded me personally.

2. WvW, what do you do in there? I enter it and it’s basically a cluster****. I get in and the map I’m in is usually empty. There are no clear goals or objectives. I wander around a little and find not a soul in sight and on the rare occasion I do find someone they aren’t doing anything except standing around. I then just give up, leave and go back to questing. The whole thing seems like a giant confusing waste of time.

3. Dungeons, I haven’t done one yet, LFG is basically useless since most groups want lvl 80’s only even though the dungeons are advertised in my level range 40-50. What gives? are dungeons only for level 80’s?

4. I want to transmute my style but notice they charge “transmutation charges”. I understand you buy these via the gem store but is there any other way to get them without spending real-life money? I loved the transmog system in WoW for instance and feel it’s done better there than it is here in GW2 in the sense that you can do it whenever you want at any level as long as you have the gold. Where as here you want to be very picky and careful on what to transmute since it costs real-life money. Seems like it’s something you should only do at level 80 (like the dungeons) once you’ve gotten the better gear that you won’t be replacing anytime soon.

5. Guilds, what are they good for? should I join one? I haven’t yet. Do they provide any kind of benefits? How do I find a good one and not just one of those massive ones that take anyone where you will get lost in the crowd. I feel I can get just as far unguilded but I don’t know.

6. I can’t decide which class to play, how did you settle on which class to play? My problem is that I want to play a class that is valuable to groups/parties. I don’t wanna be one of these classes that’s kitten in comparison to other classes. I have a level 42 warrior, 30 mesmer and a 47 elementalist as my highest level character thus far.

I prefer ranged classes that have a variety of interesting moves over the melee classes whose moves consist of just 10 different ways on how to swing a sword, dagger, hammer whatever. But I just don’t know, the engineer looks interesting, my elementalist is fine I guess but feels a little on the weaker side. I refuse to play a ranger as they are everywhere and I generally stray from the pet classes. How can I find a good class for me?

Welp that’s about it, If I have more questions I’ll post them here. I’m glad to see you made a thread like this where I can ask my noob questions lol.

Posted by: Theyed.7859

Theyed.7859

So you are still doing this? I bought the game when it first came out but only got to like level 50 before I completely forgot about it. Now I picked it back up and got my self a first 80. Sure would appreciate any help

Posted by: Coffinspired.7906

Coffinspired.7906

Hi Foghladha,

I would GREATLY appreciate one of those welcome kits!!

I’m only about an >hour in…lvl 6 Ele. And yes, also pretty overwhelmed, although I have experience with many “hardcore” RPGs, this is my first MMORPG.

I can’t for the life of me figure out where the list of my dailies are. My Daily achievements tab just says “complete 3 PvE achievements”, but doesn’t list what it is I have to do. Is this a matter of me getting over a certain level before they start to show up??

This game seems to have a great community…I’ve already met a few nice people in-game that were happy to help out with my noobish problems.

Behellagh.1468

Hello there, I need a little help with a few things that are still somewhat unclear to me….This is a bit long but please bear with me

1. Well it depends how new you are. 20g is pretty good for a brand new player with only a level 40-50 character. Minor things like harvest all material nodes, sell on the TP but not necessarily to highest bidder as it depends. Salvage white, blue, green items for luck. Sell off mats once you’ve capped out collections. Plan to do boss events, use one of the boss timers to see if any are up soon in your level range or below when you’re playing. On the flip side try to save you money by not using waypoints all the time, it does add up.

2. It’s like playing capture the flag … with siege weapons and zerging players. Now this is the only time now when your server selection is important. If your server isn’t into WvW, it’s not going to be all that fun. On a populated WvW map, you should see in your map objectives held by other servers and on your mini-map you should see crowds of green dots streaming toward an objective. Or party up with a couple of players and take out soft targets like opponents caravans and supply depots.

3. Yep. Dungeons are a PitA because it’s one of the few activities that require a team. And by large part finding teammates for dungeons is terrible. This is where being a member of a good guild can come in useful. They have no problem, at least mine, dragging someone who aren’t a zerk out warrior who can run every dungeon path with their eyes close. They may even let you watch the cut scenes.

As for the reason for 80s, your #1 question. Dungeons were at one time the quickest way to earn gold. It’s been nerfed a great deal but it’s still a sure thing except you need to do all the various paths in each dungeon instead of simply rerunning one path in one dungeon for hours on end. So speed is of utmost importance which means best gear, best traits, full stats even though those stats get down leveled.

4. Yes there are ways to get free transmutation charges. Easiest are map completions and PvP IIRC. At least that’s what the wiki says. Also there is a login reward, 4 times in the 28 login reward cycle that may give you a transmutation charge. It is not unheard of for players to roll a temp character who only does the map complete in the 6 major cities to earn charges and once done, delete it and roll a new one and repeat the process. There limited availability for no cost is why some players suggest you shouldn’t try to transmute until you get a level 80 set of exotic armor. But if you like to change your looks all the time, then 600 gems for 25 charges.

5. A good guild is someplace where you can ask for help to do a dungeon and can provide bonuses like magic find. I think you can join 5 guilds at a time but you can only represent one at a time. Representing means that guild gets credit when you do certain activities.

6. GW2 is a different kind of MMO, more relient on movement and avoidance as well as a lack of hyper-specialized classes. Professions here are more rounded than the classic Tank/Healer/Damage Dealer trinity you find in a lot of MMOs. Everyone has melee and range attacks, have some degree of control, healing of course, some party buff. But each profession do specialize a bit. All I can suggest is to spend the time reading though the wiki about each profession and their skills.

Of course there are misconceptions that certain classes are better or are more useful in WvW or Dungeons or Fractals. A lot of that is simple minded, cookie cutter bunk. Most of those that believe that also believe there is only one way to equip a character in terms of armor, weapons, traits, skills and any deviation well get you kicked. You really don’t want to be one of THOSE players.

Also don’t forget that this MMO you really don’t need to party with other players with the exception of dungeons and fractals. The rest of the time you can solo and simply join the sword wielding flash mob when a nearby event pops up. As long as you do some some bit of damage you will get full loot and XP.

Hopes this helps somewhat.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Venomous.7683

Thank you for the response Behellagh I greatly appreciate it.

One more thing, I’d like to know is about outfits. I noticed this tab a while back but didn’t think much of it since most of what’s in there is locked. How does the whole outfits thing work? How is it different from just basic transmute?

Posted by: effX.3684

effX.3684

Hi Foghladha,

I would GREATLY appreciate one of those welcome kits!!

I’m only about an >hour in…lvl 6 Ele. And yes, also pretty overwhelmed, although I have experience with many “hardcore” RPGs, this is my first MMORPG.

I can’t for the life of me figure out where the list of my dailies are. My Daily achievements tab just says “complete 3 PvE achievements”, but doesn’t list what it is I have to do. Is this a matter of me getting over a certain level before they start to show up??

This game seems to have a great community…I’ve already met a few nice people in-game that were happy to help out with my noobish problems.

The daily achievements are level gated. If you do not have a character on your account over a certain level, you will not see all of the dailys. Under level 10, you will only see the first daily. You have to go to the hero panel (hit H) then go to the achievements tab, then dailys and you will see the ones applicable to your account. Once over level 10, you will see more (up to 3), and then again after level 30 (this is the level you will start to see the world boss dailys). You will not be able to do the full list of the daily’s until you have leveled at least one character to 80 on your account.

Also, you can hit the GW2 wiki page for the Daily’s for a better understanding of those.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily

Hope that helps. Feel free to add me in game if you need some more help.

Behellagh.1468

Think of outfits as a costume you wear over your armor. You aren’t getting armor pieces modified to look different as transmutation does. The downside is you can’t mix and match but you can turn off the helmet piece (by doing that on your regular armor) and I’m told on some the shoulders as well but that’s it. It will dye but how it dyes is predetermined for the entire outfit.

Let me think of an example. Let’s say you want the boots to by black but doing that also makes your sleeves black. No way to dye the sleeves a different color than the boots. But outfits do have four dye channels, it’s just what each channel dyes has been predetermined. Upside is it’s a bit tougher to look hideous.

You can turn on/off outfits for free. You can swap them for free. You can change out the actual armor you are wearing and it doesn’t affect look and costs no transmutation charges. They downside is if you run into someone with the same outfit, other than the dye job and whether both of you are wearing your helmet or not, your look will be the same. But you run into that with normal armor as well.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Venomous.7683

Thanks again for the response Behellagh, I was thinking of buying one of the outfits. Can I still go out and quest with them on? Like can I still fight and use all my abilities with them on?

Behellagh.1468

Oh yea, perfectly fine anywhere.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Outfit

I have a few, usually buy them when they are on sale. I tend to buy the theme ones. I have Pirate, Ninja, (sadly there’s no Robot), Lich (sexy Halloween outfit for ladies), Arctic and Ancestral. I bought my first one because I was getting bored with my look and I was too cheap to use up my transmutation charges. Yea, I know that doesn’t make sense.

RIP City of Heroes