Low FPS for my Laptop i7-7700 + GTX 1060

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Likesh.7625

Likesh.7625

I just bought a laptop yesterday, the spec is i7-7700 , 8GB ram, SSD and GTX 1060, it’s quite a mid range above laptop.

I have a desktop too with i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM and SSD, i have test both device performance, and both hit exactly same performance (almost same FPS for Overwatch, around same score for Heaven bench-marking)

But the weird thing is the FPS is HUGE different in Guild War 2, with Same Graphic Setting, my character walking around same place, my Desktop hit around Min:90 – Max:120 FPS, but my laptop hit around Min:35 – Max:60 FPS only. Is that normal?

I have tried all the solution in internet but still no luck, any other suggestion?
The only different between my laptop and desktop is , laptop is Window 10 Home, Desktop is Window 10 Pro.

Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Hard to do some diagnostics without sitting in front of your machine, so I’ll just leave some points you might wanna check out / put into consideration:
- you see my laptops specs in my signature, running a mix of high and maxed out settings with framelimiter active your laptops fps don’t look too far off. My fps vary from 30ish in crowded places like LA or WvW and hit the framelimit in most open world scenarios and instances.
Assuming the i7-7700 is the regular mobile CPU, it’s benchmarks are very close to the ones of the i7-6700 used in mine; and since GW2 is hugely CPU dependent, your GTX1060 won’t add much to your overall performance uneless you’re playing on some 4k resolution
- talking about resolution- their might be a difference between the display attached to your desktop and your laptop display, which might cause a difference
- check the energy settings of your laptop and make sure they’re set for “maximum performance” as long as you play GW2
- along with the point above: plug your laptop to a power source to get the max. performance out of it
- did you check the temperatures of your CPU while playing? your laptop might suffer from throttling caused by bad cooling
- last thing I can think of: most laptops are crammed with bloatware, lowering overall performance; if your machine is no exception, you might wanna consider to make a clean re-installation of your OS

Good luck.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The 7700HQ? It’s considerably slower than a 7700K (about 50% of it) and the 6700K shouldnt be far from that. Considering GW2 is heavily CPU dependant, slower performance is unsurprising. Otherwise the laptop GTX1060 should be roughly the same performance of the desktop GTX970.

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Check how much your laptop utilizes the turbo boost (e.g. Mine sits at 3.4ghz) when playing gw2 and compare that to your desktop cpu clock speed. That is pretty much where the fps difference comes from. Your gpu is more than what gw2 needs. I have a gtx 1070 and I get similar frame rates as your laptop (I have the same cpu). Max gpu load I got when playing gw2 was 42%; It is the mobile cpu that bottlenecks.
1060 is slightly better than the 970 but as it has been said, the cpu is the issue here.

Likesh.7625

Thanks all for the answer
So Guild Wars 2 is base on more CPU dependency… make sense now.
Thanks again !

Likesh.7625

My friend have a i5-4670k, 8 GB DDR3 RAM and GTX 960, his FPS performance is way better than my Laptop with same graphic setting, and also standing in Guild Wars 2 at the same map location. My Laptop have auto turbo boost which boost to 3.4 GHZ +

He hit 90 FPS, which i only hit 55 FPS

Is that the laptop processor have so huge different low performance than Desktop Processor?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

It just is like that with laptops. No one knows why. Your FPS is fine.

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

It just is like that with laptops. No one knows why. Your FPS is fine.

Laptops have a tendency to use a single RAM stick – with a spare slot for expansion – whereas at a minimum desktops use two sticks. If I remember right GW2 takes a 50% hit on FPS is you go from dual to single channel RAM. Many laptops motherboards won’t even do dual with two ram sticks, the reason for this is that for many tasks, dual channel ram yields little difference in performance, and those task that do you won’t use a laptop for.

Generally speaking laptops are half as powerful as desktops for the same technology year. The reason for this is power consumption, there is no magic way for laptops to make more of power that isn’t also available to desktops, and games are designed for desktops.

Also note that if you go to the cinema the film you’re watching is 30FPS, lack of stutter/tearing is more important than fps – above 20fps say.

(edited by lilypop.7819)