MMO Mouse vs Gaming Keypad

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: nealpatel.3406

nealpatel.3406

I have been thinking of buying something that will make playing GW2 a little easier on my fingers, and will hopefully improve my play, and am trying to decide between a multibutton MMO mouse, such as a Razer Naga, and a gaming keypad, such as the Belkin n52te. I only want to buy one or the other, I don’t play enough to feel like I can justify buying both.

Many people seem to think that they are both great additions, but if you could only have one which do you think would be better?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I would definitely go for the mouse. The additional thumb buttons allow you to bind most/all of your stuff to the mouse, leaving you with movement and toggle stuff on your keyboard.

And of course there’s the fact that you can use the mouse outside of the game, whereas a keypad like the n52te is only useful for playing games.

Personally, I use a comfy mouse and a keyboard that has keys and hotkeys that I like. In my case that amounts to Zowie EC1 eVo for a mouse and Microsoft Sidewinder X4 for a keyboard.

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

Why not both? Lol jk, although I personally did (Razer Naga after BWE1, Razer Anansi right before pre release). In all honesty, though, get a gaming mouse. It doesn’t need to be Razer, or even Logitech (both of which are really good, Logitech G10 Keyboard is amazing). I don’t even use half the added keys on my Anansi, though, because there’s no real “Macros” in GW2, which is what the Anansi, and gaming keyboards in general, excel at.

Gaming mice are more or less just for ease of movement and shortening the distance fingers travel to reach keys. Stretching your hand to hit “0” while moving with WASD is annoying, “clicking” is absolutely out of the question (seriously… don’t look down when you’re doing something… ever), and you don’t use your mouse hand for much anyway, at least I don’t, so it works.

I’d get the mouse over a keyboard anyday. More practical use, cheaper, and it’s better IMO. I play a bunch of games, and League is another one that I NEVER use my Anansi’s “extra” keys for, because there’s no point. That’s one last thing about gaming keyboards. They don’t actually “add” new buttons, they just kinda combine and remap existing one’s. I didn’t know that until I bought my Anansi. Some do, but most don’t, they just combine stuff like “Left CTRL” and “Left Shift”. So get a mouse…

Posted by: MasterMc.7543

MasterMc.7543

Have both a naga, and orbweaver, I can say having both is the best option.

But I would have to agree with the others the mouse would be the first choose, nothing beats being able to easily move, jump, turn screen and cast at the same time which the mouse lets you do. Not having to take either your hand off movement or mouse to cast make a load of difference.

Posted by: Sacrai.6280

Sacrai.6280

Have both a naga, and orbweaver, I can say having both is the best option.

But I would have to agree with the others the mouse would be the first choose, nothing beats being able to easily move, jump, turn screen and cast at the same time which the mouse lets you do. Not having to take either your hand off movement or mouse to cast make a load of difference.

I am currently using a Razer Nostromo and a normal mouse, and I have to say that your statement is only half true. I use the joystick on the nostromo to cast and it doesn’t take my hand off the movement or mouse, as my left thumb does it.

To the OP, I would closely analyse the way you play, to define wether you have more ease (and room left for more movement) on your left or right hand. I personally always use the mouse to direct the camera, which makes me wonder if I’d be able to use my right thumb correctly, while directing the camera (thus pressing the right button).

To answer Kaizz, I’m not sure were talking about the same thing when talking about a keypad. The Anansi looks like a keyboard with some mappable keys on the pics I found of it. Keypads change your experience more than a keyboard with additional keys at unconvenient places.

Still, I’m definitely getting an MMO mouse next time I see one.

[LAGS] Sacraï – Roche de l’Augure[FR]

Posted by: TheFiendishFiend.4057

TheFiendishFiend.4057

I was in the same boat as the OP about a month ago, trying to decide between a gaming mouse or keypad (because I don’ have enough disposable income for both.) Eventually I decided to get a mouse, the popular Razer Naga, because I felt it would be the easiest to learn, and I would have a comfy mouse for doing schoolwork with. It only took about a week to learn the buttons, but since then, my play has greatly improved, and my weak finger joints from 9 years of classical guitar aren’t punished as much during long gaming sessions.

I would definitely recommend the mouse

~Lion~
Bearer of Tyrion’s Personal Banner, and[BOMB] GvG Officer

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I think that additional buttons on the mouse make it harder to use without pushing a button you don’t intend to.

Keyboard for me.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I play GW2 on Xbox360 Controller since Beta!

Here is a Footage of me playing all 8 classes using my Xbo360 Controller:

If you are interested to know my Controller Layouts, you can contact me through Skype. =)

Skype Username: DreamyAbaddon

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I use a Razer Naga. All the skills are on the mouse, which I hit with my right thumb and the movement keys are on the keyboard (left hand). The dodge button is on the 3rd mouse button as my finger rests on it naturally. This setup keeps you from doing twister with your fingers while playing.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)