Macbook pro or XPS 15(Want to play wvwvw)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mylerfo.5706

Mylerfo.5706

Hey!

Title says it
Gonna buy either the maxed out macbook 15 inch or the xps 15.

Help me!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You should not buy a Mac if a significant interest is playing GW2 or gaming in general. The current GW2 Mac beta is just a cider port. It is functional but far from optimal. A lot of people have continued problems with the Mac client. It has been out almost 3 years and I expect the client to stay in Beta and never progress past just being a cider port. Support for the Mac client over the years has been lacking as well.

Of course you could play via Bootcamp which some state does improve performance a bit. But that would require you to install Windows on your Mac.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My friends who play GW2 on Macs say they’re prone to constant dc’s.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I feel like the xps 15 would be better. Macs don’t make me think of gaming.

Googles xps 15, and it compelled me (from what I saw in the specs) to tell you to go with it

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Donari.5237

I assume the xps is the Dell XPS? I ask because I had Dells until my current computer and was quite pleased with them. First was an XPS Studio laptop, very pricey, very heavy, more of a portable computer than a laptop, but it handled everything quite well and I could hook up peripherals to turn it into a compact tower at need. Then I got an XPS Studio desktop.

Which, in fact, is the machine I’m using at this very moment, years after purchase (with one upgrade to the video card a couple of years ago), and able to play GW2 on it at max settings just fine, albeit a little slower than my new computer. It’s noisy as all get out. But faced with buying a new machine for my month with my mom or just shipping out my old one to use while here and then junk, hey. Hundreds of dollars saved.

This one’s been sitting under my desk since I replaced it in April 2014 and hasn’t failed me on this trip. So yeah, I call the XPS a good buy. The only reason I shifted away from Dell was that Dell stopped letting me customize my ordered computer’s specs other than some software decisions.

Posted by: Mylerfo.5706

Mylerfo.5706

Well its for a videovediting and photography education.

Posted by: Highchu.3806

Highchu.3806

I’m not sure if the more recent Macbook Pro models have gotten better, but its never run well on my 2013 Macbook Pro Retina (even on the lowest settings). I’d experience frequent lag, disconnects, and worst of all overheating. Minutes into launching the game it felt like I could cook an egg on the keyboard.

I don’t know much about computers, but if you want a device to play MMOs or just high intensity games in general I’d say go with a desktop. WvW can get pretty intense during zerg fights so if your rig can’t handle it your fps will drop significantly and you won’t have a very good gameplay experience.

Donari.5237

Well its for a videovediting and photography education.

In that case you might want to ask in forums that focus on videoediting and photography Folks in here are gonna help with GW2-related issues and our advice will skew in that direction.

Posted by: adRocZ.2019

adRocZ.2019

I love working on my Mac, key word “working.” Web Development, Design, etc…

When it comes to gaming, video editing, 3D design, I built my PC. It handles more because it’s more flexible, there are more tools when it comes to gaming. Mac’s are heading in the right direction, but PC’s are the veteran. While I don’t prefer the Windows OS, I can’t enjoy gaming on anything else.