Magic Gathering Tools?

Magic Gathering Tools?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

I was looking to buy some perma gathering tools from the store, and I noticed the limited time “Infinite Unbound Gathering Tools”, and I was a bit confused by the “unbound magic gatherer” aspect of these tools.

What exactly is unbound magic used for? Where else can you get it from?

Is this a good package to pick up for 2700 gems?

Thanks

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Unbound Magic (UM) is a currency in the LS Season 3 maps. They are a part of Heart of Thorns, so if you don’t have that and do not intend to get that, they are of no value to you.

Using the UM tools allows you to collect UM in addition to whatever node you are collecting.

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

I have HoT and am working my way through that storyline, but I havn’t started LS3 ( I think I have like 3/5 chapters unlocked), so I guess that explains my lack of unbound magic.

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you gather a lot, these are great. Unbound magic has all sorts of uses and the discount (compared to other infinite-use tools with fun skins) is decent (10%).

However, “gather a lot” is quite a lot. It means to make this worth while, you want to be on regular, dedicated node-farming runs. So if you gather Winterberries on 7 toons per day or run Iron in 8 maps each day or gather as much elder wood as you can find… then I’d recommend these.

However, for most people who just want the convenience of not keeping lots of tools, I’d recommend getting the cheaper infinite use tools (no skin).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Unfortunately, the Gathering Tool 3-Pack is not available at this time. Still, if you can wait, that pack sells for 2250 Gems standard.

Good luck.

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I disagree with Illconceived when it comes to “a lot”. In normal game play, the Unbound Magic adds up quickly. Someone who considers buying infinite gathering tools probably makes the extra few steps to mine a node instead of running past. If you rarely gather, the consumable tools are just fine.

It always felt a bit stupid to farm something completely worthless before I got the UM tools, now I at least get something for it. An Obsidian Shard only costs 100 Unbound Magic, so you can save some Karma. When you go for ascended trinkets in the Season 3 maps, it’s not the berries, rubies etc that bottle neck your progress, it’s Unbound Magic.

I don’t want to sound like a GW2 advertiser, but I think the UM tools are the best deal in the gem store for almost every player that plans to get or has access to Season 3.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Come to think of it, I bought them without a second thought due to the currency value,
But now, according to wooden potatoes, there’s no unbound magic currency in use in the crystal desert (for as far as he’d seen), so maybe the tools lose all value with the passing of PoF, unless you still return to play in LS3 (Or work on Aurora)

(I said lose all value, not entirely right, since you can still always return and buy quaggan stuff with them)

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Lose value? I get UM everywhere I go now without even setting foot in one of the LS3 maps. I think they provide great value, freeing me to go where I want to do what I want, yet still earn currency towards what I want. Right now that is Obsidian for a legendary, and every bit of UM helps reach that goal.

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Lose value? I get UM everywhere I go now without even setting foot in one of the LS3 maps. I think they provide great value, freeing me to go where I want to do what I want, yet still earn currency towards what I want. Right now that is Obsidian for a legendary, and every bit of UM helps reach that goal.

As i said between brackets

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Given the ease of monetizing UM, I think any loss in value of the tools is rather minor. It’s a free Magic Warped Packet/Bundle (forget which has better ROI) every few hours of gathering materials.

Magic Gathering Tools?

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Given the ease of monetizing UM, I think any loss in value of the tools is rather minor. It’s a free Magic Warped Packet/Bundle (forget which has better ROI) every few hours of gathering materials.

As i said between brackets

I wouldn’t count UM out just yet. UM was the center piece of LS3, and has a relatively high chance of coming back in LS4 given how broadly it fits into the world state.