Make or Buy?

Make or Buy?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I decided i want a legendary weapon … finally. I have been farming in frostgorge for somectime and almost have enough gold to buy the precursor to my weapon of choice which is about 6 times more than the precursor if i buy it off the TP. My question is…should i buy the pre and farm the rest to make the legendary or farm for mats to sell and just buy the legendary? How long might it take to get all the mats needed to craft it? I figured that at least buying the pre would save a lot of frustration. I guess i’m also seeking some endgame ideas. I have a human female warrior….about 87% map completion. I normally play pve but have tried wvw and pvp. I liked zerging n wvw but pvp isn’t really for me cuz i get too nervous then can’t react fast enough.

So…what do you suggest, or what would you do if you were me?

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Well, ain’t nobody else can tell you how to have fun.

Me? I’d forget about the Legendary. It’s just a grind either way. Some people like grinding, I don’t.

So I’d be left with trying to roam in WvW without getting nervous and pressing the wrong button. It’ll cost gold in repairs, but not as much as a Legendary.

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Depending on the legendary, you can probably afford to just buy the precursor and make it yourself. Finish mapping on that character, which gives you a gift you need, and then the rest (depending on the legendary again) is relatively a matter of farming/buying mats.

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

Buying a Legendary directly is several hundred gold more expensive than making it yourself, because it takes into account the gathering of account bound items and people who make Legendaries to sell are often doing so for a large profit regardless.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

This also depends on the server you are on,if the server you are on has a strong WvW presence then I would just buy the precursor and then head straight to WvW and follow a Zerg, get good bags and decent exp and karma, use them to make clovers, do the 10 recipe and by doing that you get extra T6 mats, and even when you get all your mats keep making clovers for the extra T6 mats just in case you ever want to make another Legendary cause you will end up with 2 exploration scrolls for world comp so might as well hold onto them and any extra clovers for the future, never know what new legendaries might come our way…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Also you can work on gathering the mats for a bit longer, there not being any order in which you have to get things together, since sometime soon™ there will be a way to craft precursors. We hope. Thus you can make progress while holding off on the big investment.

Make or Buy?

ozmaniandevil.6805

Ya for now i’m just farming champs then salvaging everything and selling on trading post. I already wastd about 300g on trying to get the precursor out of the mystic toilet then realized i could have purchased it for 260-ish gold. So now i just horde gold! Anyway thanks for the advice…

Make or Buy?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Buying a Legendary directly is several hundred gold more expensive than making it yourself, because it takes into account the gathering of account bound items and people who make Legendaries to sell are often doing so for a large profit regardless.

Even if they were selling it for a break even price they would have to account for overhead from the listing fee and tax. Something that cost 1000g to make would cost an extra 176g just to cover those two.

Make or Buy?

ozmaniandevil.6805

I would expect to pay more on TP than my own cost on making one. It all cmes down to whether or not i would enjoy farming the various mats or if i would rather zerg train enough gold for it. For instance, i don’t have much dungeon exp but i think i need specific dungeon tokens for my legendary. Do i want to do the dungeon 20 times? I don’t know. Now for wvw am i gonna need ascended weapons to compete? There goes another 200g and weeks of farming. I guess i’m just not really sure how to use my playtime.

Make or Buy?

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I would expect to pay more on TP than my own cost on making one. It all cmes down to whether or not i would enjoy farming the various mats or if i would rather zerg train enough gold for it. For instance, i don’t have much dungeon exp but i think i need specific dungeon tokens for my legendary. Do i want to do the dungeon 20 times? I don’t know. Now for wvw am i gonna need ascended weapons to compete? There goes another 200g and weeks of farming. I guess i’m just not really sure how to use my playtime.

First, you need 500 tokens for the dungeon part. That’s 8 runs, not 20. It’s going to take you a while to gather everything, so its not like you’re spamming the dungeon all day every day. My first legendary needed tokens from CoE, and it turned out I really enjoy running that one now. You absolutely do not need ascended trinkets for wvw. You’re following a commander and running with a (usually) large group. Trying to solo cap stuff is different, and if you’re caught by a group ascended trinkets won’t save you anyway.

Make or Buy?

ozmaniandevil.6805

Thanks! Good advice from many people. I think i will go ahead and purchase the precursor and then make the legendary by gathering all the requied stuff. Thankfully i already had over 700,000 karma before the nerf