Master mining pick in bank...?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I recently ran across a 100 use Master Mining Pick (Green) that has NO LEVEL displayed. It was in my bank and I have no idea where it came from nor what it’s effective tier is.

There does not seem to be anything on the wiki about any Master gather tools without a listed level, so I’m stumped as to what this thing can harvest. I know I can try it and figure it out, but it just stuck me as quite odd that thing exists with no info on the wiki.

I’m guessing it came from some reward but I’ve been storing gathering tools in my bank since they went account bound WAY back so I have no clue where this came from.

Any ideas?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

/wiki then shift+click to check the item id and then you could check it through the API

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Was it one of the ones from Wintersday?

Edit: Nevermind. Those are set at 15 even though I vaguely remember them not being so.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

I think it might be one of the PS rewards from before the rework? I honestly can’t remember if the lowest had a level cap or not but it was acquired pretty early and worked up to iron or steel level IIRC.

ETA: you got a choice of pick/sickle/axe and they had 100 uses. Got repeated a couple times with increasing level requirements but a level 60? I think tool would let you get t6.

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

(edited by jackaljag.8637)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I remember someone on the forum posting a comment that they still had harvesting tools sold by an NPC during one of the events. It was an NPC who was removed after the end of the event who sold the tools for event tokens. Possibly you bought one of those and forgot about it?

And there is also this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Master_Mining_Pick
Level 60: Equivalent to an Orichalcum Mining Pick (used to mine all metals.)
But it has 125 uses, so unless you used 25 and then put it back /shrug

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Brother Grimm.5176

I don’t recall Master gathering tools ever being sold (and I certainly don’t recall buying any).

I still have some of the Master tools that DO have level indicators, but this one simply has NO Level indication at all. That’s why I asked if anyone recalls or has had any like this. While I guess I can get the code, I have no idea how to “check it thru the API”. If you just mean display it, isn’t it going to just display what I already see (no level shown)? Guess I could try that.

Now I just have to remember which of my dozen characters I put it on (supposedly to test it)…..

Astral Projections.7320

Yeah. I tried researching it and was unable to find a masterwork pick with 100 uses. I found fine picks sold by various NPCs and that one 125 use masterwork.

One problem is that NPCs are made then removed from the game. Once removed, the information about them is archived and unless you remember the event or the character name it’s really difficult to track them down and what they sold.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/bltc/Orichalcum-dropping-Here-s-why/first#post1241573

The linked wiki article has obviously been updated since then. I vaguely remember players parking alts at the rich ori node at SSC. It’s only 25 charges though. I’m sure you can research more into this as maybe the charges were reduced too.

I’ve also seen other reports of players who get the green mining picks but they vary in level depending on what level you receive them. You’ll see numerous threads of green master picks only being able to get copper. No mention of what level they were but I did see someone (the OP) comment on a reddit thread that it had no requirement level.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10r38p/ruined_ore_chunk_from_orichalcum_w_master_mining/

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

A lot of the older green master picks had no level associated with them, but they were tied to the level of the character at the time they were acquired.

Which means, you quite often ended up with ruined ore chunks. There was no way to tell the level of the item, if I recall. It was too big of a risk to use for mining ori that I just deleted all mine ages ago and purchased new ones.

Astral Projections.7320

A lot of the older green master picks had no level associated with them, but they were tied to the level of the character at the time they were acquired.

Which means, you quite often ended up with ruined ore chunks. There was no way to tell the level of the item, if I recall. It was too big of a risk to use for mining ori that I just deleted all mine ages ago and purchased new ones.

I saw a thread about that, but it was from 2 years ago. If OP has one of those still sitting in the bank from back then, he needs to do some spring cleaning, lol.

Brother Grimm.5176

That sounds kind of familiar from some hazy memory WAY back near release. The whole point of this thread was to end up with a stack of ruined ore because I was mistaken about what these were.

I’ve got a new Ranger I can put them on and stick to lower zones and use them up (or I may just destroy them if they start causing me issues), but thanks for the input.

@Astral – Spring cleaning in my bank is exactly how i ran across them…..

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

The one in southsun cove was retroactively changed to be level 45. I remember with great sadness.. I had many of them for my level 5 character at that beautiful node