Message suppressed

Message suppressed

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Markadis.9012

Markadis.9012

Someone tell me how this chat mechanic works? Because I am being suppressed all the time. Whether from party chat, map chat or say chat.

I am not spamming or anything. Just having a conversation with people I meet.

Server- Blackgate
Characters- Levicus (Ele); Levicus Gear (Eng);
Levicus Shield (War)

Message suppressed

Markadis.9012

Thanks for moving my post, but I still didn’t receive an answer.

Why am I being suppressed when all I am doing is having a conversation between two people?

Server- Blackgate
Levicus Shield (War)

Message suppressed

Posted by: Hyena.2037

Hyena.2037

I see this with people sometimes.

Who have a habit of typing in quick short sentences.

Instead of writing out a complete thought point before pressing enter.

Not sure why people type like this.

I guess so they get their word in before the topic moves on.

Or maybe a method of dominating a conversation?

Not sure.

What I do know however,

is that it gets annoying to read.

Like you’re listening to someone trying to catch their breath.

Also that I’m on a pay per text plan

so my friends need to stop this crap

or pay me for each stupid drunk text

but I digress.

Anyway, not sure if this is the case with you but if you’re a staccato senetence typer then you’ll hit the suppression real quick, especially if talking to multiple people.

Message suppressed

Markadis.9012

Nope, but I see what you mean. That’s not me.

Imagine two people having a conversation in LA, or WvW. Just standing around and talking about the game (in /say) and what not, then BAM one person goes silent. That person is me because I got suppressed.

I’m just wondering if that is intended. A system where we can only speak in short conversations with one another, like to ask for each other’s skype info or something.

I could be wrong. Hope that clarifies what I meant by my opening post.

Server- Blackgate
Levicus Shield (War)

Message suppressed

Posted by: Grit.9061

Grit.9061

It seems that you’re more likely to be suppressed if you’re saying the same thing repeatedly. Not sure if that’s true or not. In any case, normal conversations are not supposed to be suppressed in such a way.

I’ve never once had my chat suppressed except when commanding in WvW, where spamming is sometimes necessary.

[LION] Lion’s Arch Irregulars – Dragonbrand
lionsarch.org

Message suppressed

Posted by: Sousui.1635

Sousui.1635

It is probably just map chat is not for conversations really. Quick questions.. finding if a person or npc is around (where others only need to type one thing), but if you are going to converse with someone, take it to whispers. I doubt you are getting suppressed in party or whispers.

Message suppressed

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I noticed something interesting yesterday: I died while on my own on the new island. On the basis that it wouldn’t be long before someone came along I decided to wait where I was instead of ressurecting at a way point. I also scrolled up a few messages to where I’d said ‘thanks’ to someone else so it was ready for me to just hit enter when I was ressurected.

Sure enough a few minutes later someone ressurected me, I hit enter and got told my message was suppressed. Which surprised me because it had been at least 5 minutes since I’d said anything at all, and that was a comment in guild chat.

Clearly it wasn’t surpressed because I’d been talking too much, or posting the same thing over and over. So I have 3 (currently untested) theories.
1) It was suppressed because I had the same message sitting in the bar for too long.
2) It was suppressed because I’d scrolled up and reused an existing message.
3) Some combination of the two.

I’m not happy with the 1st theory because it seems like a very odd way of doing things, but then I’ve also scrolled up and re-posted the same thing before without a problem (usually repeating a question in different chat formats) so I’m leaning towards 3, but as I said I haven’t tested it. I just know that in that instance it definately wasn’t a case of spamming the same thing over and over.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Message suppressed

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

If you repeat a message exactly, you’re going to get muted after (I think) 3 tries.

I’ve been muted for saying “Thank you” 3 times quickly because I got revived/rallied 3 times quickly. I opened a bug ticket on that. There are certain phrases that just shouldn’t count, like “Thank you”.

However, it works for us, too. When Noll was bugged yesterday, several people decided that people had to stop talking to him for 5 minutes; the were adamant that the clock reset each time someone talked to him.

Well, one Bozo decided that he was going to spam “STOP TALKING TO HIM YOU @#$% MORONS!” He went silent after 3, and I chuckled to myself.

One other thing: Once you are muted, you are muted for way over a half hour. I don’t know the time, but it lasted at least a half hour before I gave up.

Message suppressed

Posted by: Aria.8214

Aria.8214

Game is weird sometimes. ;D Even a relog won’t fix it.

nyan nyan~

Message suppressed

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Heh. So when I walk up to a dead guy and say ‘are you a bot?’ before reviving, he could actually be trying to scream ‘No! Help me! Wait, come back! Nooo!’?

Dead players suddenly became like 10x more amusing.

Message suppressed

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

oh mang. ha, good point LameFox. i’ve done that before, when seeing someone dead. i ask if they’re around 1) to test if bot, 2) to test if AFK. if they’re AFK, i won’t wanna keep allowing their armour to be damaged either if mobs happen to chance upon them. lol.

this, perhaps, needs to get looked into.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Message suppressed

Posted by: Jennytheturtle.8659

Jennytheturtle.8659

Yeh this happened to me today. I was in /say and I was trying to show everyone the loot I had gotten from the chest. Since I have no idea how the chat really works, I only know that I can control click the item into the chat. They all ended up being said separately and I ended up writing 5 messages in quick succession. Then I got muted.
I was thinking like WTH?! lol I had never had this happen to me before.

Like seriously, maybe tell us what all the bloody commands are properly so we don’t accidentally mute ourselves.