Mini Gaming language Research

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Rosalynde.1049

Rosalynde.1049

Hi everyone.
I would like to ask you if you could please spare some time to fill out this survey for my school research project. It will only take up two minutes of your time and will help out my friend a great deal. We are working on a research project concerning language use in MMORPG’s.
Thank you so much for your time.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=9ps6bg4pa2v04na181500&refer=freeonlinesurveys.com

Posted by: Zorada.9457

Zorada.9457

Now

I was going to be nice and bother with 2 mins of my time to help out HOWEVER

First question age??? so no one plays games after they are 35 years old? really you honestly think this?

I can tell you now most people i have played with over the last few years are well over that age. Something you should not have missed really but then again it maybe that anyone over the age of 35 is an old puff of bottom wind and therefore not worth having take part in your little survey

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

Done – though, I gotta say, I haven’t seen a lot of those terms being used for years anyway.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

Done, a few comments, though. As Zorada said, you are missing the more than 35 years old option.

You compare uber with very… as far as I know uber is over like in Overpowered, or that’s what I thought >.<

Also, noob vs newbie. I think that Noob may be more commonly used now, but originally it was more cutting/rude, and usually used against people with poor skills pretending to be experts at something. Similar to Lamer. Then those same noobs/lamers adopted the term and used it with everybody, specially in gaming. I personally find it quite offensive, so I don’t use it.

Just my 2 cents

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Lol, I remember when I thought no one over 30 something played games… and now here I am, over 30… playing games.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

Yah, the age thing is a major flaw. You’re automatically excluding the Golden Age gamers.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

yup. I got excluded from the first question as well. oh well. maybe his demographic is specifically targeting players 35 or younger for some reason.

Posted by: Ashelotte.7195

Ashelotte.7195

Done. Some of the comparisons were a little strange to me, but I don’t really use any type of text talk so maybe I’m just out of the loop or something. I prefer to just spell everything out.

Lvl 80 Sylvari Ranger
Lvl 80 Sylvari Elementalist

Posted by: Kalizaar.4729

Kalizaar.4729

Like everyone else said you’re missing a huge amount of people if you don’t have 35+. And I never use “haha”, but “hehe” instead.

@Apolyon, I’ve seen and used “uber” to mean “super”, “overly”, “very”, “awesome”, “huge”, etc. It’s sort of like “dude”. Used to convey lots of things besides what it really means.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Now

I was going to be nice and bother with 2 mins of my time to help out HOWEVER

First question age??? so no one plays games after they are 35 years old? really you honestly think this?

I can tell you now most people i have played with over the last few years are well over that age. Something you should not have missed really but then again it maybe that anyone over the age of 35 is an old puff of bottom wind and therefore not worth having take part in your little survey

Its a school project, they are far too young to realise there is life after 30’s…

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

Hey Rosalynde – Done!

I want to repeat everything Apolyon and others said..

I’m over 35, I prefer not to use text speak in-game when i can help it (RolePlayer so maybe that’s why) and there are different meanings for “Uber” and “Noob vs Newbie” than you had choices for.

Good survey though and good luck with your project – hope it yields results.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Its a school project, they are far too young to realise there is life after 30’s…

30 is when you get a job and wife, lose your virginity and get kids. Because of all the work with your wife, kids and colleagues, there’s no time anymore to play videogames. On the other hand, when you finally have a job, and around the age of 45 made one or two job hops, you may have the disposable income to support your favourite videogame with ten euros every other month or so. Don’t forget that 10 euros is a lot of money!

:p

Finished the survey. It was pretty funny and I wish you could get some results from several thousand people. Apart from the age blunder is was OK.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

30 is when you get a job and wife, lose your virginity and get kids. Because of all the work with your wife, kids and colleagues, there’s no time anymore to play videogames.

And yet, 30 year olds are one of the biggest gamer and MMO demographics. It’s easy for a gamer to game a few hours after the kids are in bed— at least a few times a week. GW2 was designed so that those folks actually can do that.

I’m in my late 30s, no kids, have clocked 1600+hours so far.

Anyway, people who give up everything for work and children tend to be very unhappy people and are not really the majority of folks anyway. Everyone has hobbies.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

I so so so so want to help and fill it out, but I don’t want to participate when there’s the flawed questioning such as the age one.

People vary.

marnick.4305

30 is when you get a job and wife, lose your virginity and get kids. Because of all the work with your wife, kids and colleagues, there’s no time anymore to play videogames.

And yet, 30 year olds are one of the biggest gamer and MMO demographics. It’s easy for a gamer to game a few hours after the kids are in bed— at least a few times a week. GW2 was designed so that those folks actually can do that.

I’m in my late 30s, no kids, have clocked 1600+hours so far.

Anyway, people who give up everything for work and children tend to be very unhappy people and are not really the majority of folks anyway. Everyone has hobbies.

I was very much joking I am 25 myself. GW2 is the third most important thing in my life (after gf and work) and my primary hobby.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

(edited by marnick.4305)

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Yeah, “noob” and “newbie” have completely different connotations to me. “Noob” is an insult or self-deprecating term, while “newbie” is polite and neutral.

Also, given that “FTW” and “great” function as two different parts of speech, it’s kind of difficult for me to grasp how they’re supposed to be equivalent. “GW2 FTW” versus “GW2 is great”, perhaps? But even those don’t necessarily have the same connotation. It’s very unlikely that the latter is sarcastic, for example, but depending on context, the former easily could be.

marnick.4305

Yeah, “noob” and “newbie” have completely different connotations to me. “Noob” is an insult or self-deprecating term, while “newbie” is polite and neutral.

I make it a form of etiquette to never call someone “noob’”. I also try to avoid newbie, much rather I say “he’s new to this part of the game”.