Modern Leveling

Modern Leveling

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

I was just curious what the quickest way to level an alt nowadays is? Obviously short of tomes of knowledge or the level 80 boost. I am not lacking tomes I just don’t like doing it that way.

The last time I did it EotM was the quickest way I believe, is this still the case?

Thanks folks

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Crafting sprinkled with some fully boosted moa killing.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

Moa killing? lol i have all crafts maxed

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Honestly I’d probably go with trying somehthing new which you haven’t done before.

Do a no combat run and simply see how much experience you can get via running around and unlocking all the map, vistas, poi, etc.

Do a gathering run or so where you just gather everything you find.

Otherwise the fastest ways to hit 80 I’d say are as follows (descending order of speed):
- level 80 boost
- tomes of knowledge
- crafting
- heartquests and leveling

Not sure what the level gain via pvp and wvw is now. Both do not reward experience but rather tomes of knowledge instead so results may vary.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Playing game maybe? I level so fast just exploring and playing the game …… also get lots of materials and gold that way too.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I kept getting a lot of tomes of knowledge yesterday when playing WvW. WvW does not directly add to your leveling xp anymore, but it gives tomes. Instead you gain rank and reward track there. And, most importantly to me personally, Proofs of Heroics.

Fastest ways are not the most fun ways, I think. If I wanted both it would be to use all boosters I can and go off to the ‘corners of Tyria’ expolring, doing events and killing things off the beaten path with a big bonus XP.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

Since you pretty much just scratched off the top three fastest methods, what is left to you is not “the fastest leveling” but simply leveling as you normally would.

If you still decide to leave those methods behind then you could always go to which ever zone the daily events are for and run them non-stop while the day lasts. It may not be faster than crafting but it would likely mean less down time in between events. Of course this only works if the daily events are in a zone your toon can survive in.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Moa killing?

I believe this is a reference to killing the non-aggressive mobs on the map. The longer a mob is spawned, the more bonus xp it gives… and usually peeps don’t think twice about killing non-aggressive mobs like Moas so they’ve usually been spawned for quite a while… it can be really good xp. As for it being more efficient than other means, I’m not sure… but it couldn’t hurt.

~EW

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Torgaard.1864

Torgaard.1864

I recently decided to push my 39 Engineer to 80, and honestly; I think just flatout playin’ the game with an eye towards map completion is the fastest. I just methodically work my way through the map(s), hitting every waypoint, every POI, every vista, and completing every heart. The levels seem to roll by pretty dang fast. Oh, I also try to stay on top of the story missions.

Plus – make sure you’ve got +15% experience food, +10% experience utility, and maybe a straight-up XP booster on you at all times. I’m not sure how much those really make, but it sure seemed alot faster.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Why not use tomes?

For the last few levels you can try a CoF farm. Bring your EXP boosters, they stack up.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

EOTM doesn’t give experience anymore. It does however gives tons of tomes in reward tracks so it’s more efficient to farm these on an 80.

If you want to do it traditionally:

Event chains, particularly world boss ones, while uncovering as most of the map as you can will probably be the best.

Map completion on the other hand does not really yield enough experience to warrant bothering with it for the most part beyond the most easy maps. I’d skip hearts unless an event is tied to them or you can complete it along the way like if it’s possible to kill enemies to do it. Grabbing WPs is almost always worth it.

Basically only stop for events and gathering. (The later doesn’t grant that much xp but it’s just good to grab some extra materials along the way)

When you get to the last levels (70s) I would suggest rolling through the personal story. if you didn’t already.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

World completion can be done in about 24 hours with the maps that show the routes. There’s more that enough experience available to get to level 80.

World boss event chains are infrequent so I wouldn’t spend time on them unless you happen to be in the area. There’s just too much downtime between them to be worth the time.

I tried non-aggressive mob farming once. It’s okay but not the fastest. You have to know where to farm and have those locations unlocked on the character. You then have to alternate between locations to allow the bonus XP to recover back to 100%.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Boosters, food, utility. Harvest nodes. Kill yellow mobs (my preference is underwater in Mt. Maelstrom) Grab all poi, vista, waypoints.

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

World completion can be done in about 24 hours with the maps that show the routes. There’s more that enough experience available to get to level 80.

World boss event chains are infrequent so I wouldn’t spend time on them unless you happen to be in the area. There’s just too much downtime between them to be worth the time.

I tried non-aggressive mob farming once. It’s okay but not the fastest. You have to know where to farm and have those locations unlocked on the character. You then have to alternate between locations to allow the bonus XP to recover back to 100%.

Well, naturally waiting for them isn’t that great, which is why I suggested to not stop though I should have possibly specified that.

OTOH, I think if one is only say, playing for short periods of time a day, then looking up the boss schedule to coincide isn’t a bad idea at all. Though I suppose I may have confused “quickest” with least time spent.

But I still don’t really see the benefit of completing maps besides the chest. 100%‘ing a map only gives you 10% of a level. An event gives 7%. Yes, you’ll hit things along the way that also give you xp by exploring, but you can do that anyways.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Modern Leveling

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

ArchonWing.9480

But I still don’t really see the benefit of completing maps besides the chest. 100%‘ing a map only gives you 10% of a level. An event gives 7%. Yes, you’ll hit things along the way that also give you xp by exploring, but you can do that anyways.

and

Aiming solely for the endgame is no less silly than renting a movie and skipping to the end.

Umm, do you need to update your signature? Cuz the advice you give and the sig, which one might take to be your philosophy, don’t seem to jive, at least in my mind.

Just thought I’d mention that.

Back on topic. I just like to mix things up. I too don’t need any crafting on a new alt, but will do so anyway. It breaks up the map completing, or boss/event seeking, or whatever. So variety is my recommendation, since you’re really not asking for “fastest” since you’re eliminating the faster methods (scrolls, tomes, etc).

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

and

Aiming solely for the endgame is no less silly than renting a movie and skipping to the end.

Umm, do you need to update your signature? Cuz the advice you give and the sig, which one might take to be your philosophy, don’t seem to jive, at least in my mind.

Just thought I’d mention that.

Back on topic. I just like to mix things up. I too don’t need any crafting on a new alt, but will do so anyway. It breaks up the map completing, or boss/event seeking, or whatever. So variety is my recommendation, since you’re really not asking for “fastest” since you’re eliminating the faster methods (scrolls, tomes, etc).

Well, maybe this thread is not about my personal preferences? You read my sig without reading the first line of this thread?

The OP specifically asked for

I was just curious what the quickest way to level an alt nowadays is?

Also, level 80 was never “endgame” considering the numerous ways you could get a toon to 80 without even playing the character. My thoughts goes to things like legendaries, raids, fractals, pvp, and whatever esports thing of the day is out there, not something the game almost gives to you for free (and recently has, if you own HoT)

Modern Leveling

Ayrilana.1396

But I still don’t really see the benefit of completing maps besides the chest. 100%’ing a map only gives you 10% of a level. An event gives 7%. Yes, you’ll hit things along the way that also give you xp by exploring, but you can do that anyways.

Getting 100% on a map certainly gives you more than 10% of a level. There’s more to it than just that map completion chest. Have you done world completion on a character before when leveling? Or even just a single map?

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

Yes, I have, and I’ve always been really disappointed when I finished the map and realize the xp bar doesn’t even go that far forward.

Is this missing information then? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_completion#Explorable_zones

Modern Leveling

Ayrilana.1396

Yes, I have, on 4-5 characters, and I’ve always been really disappointed.

Is this missing information then? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_completion#Explorable_zones

You get a percentage of level per vista, poi, area revealed, HP, and heart completed.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience#Mechanics

I’m going to have to go through and fix what someone screwed up on the table.

Here’s what it was before they screwed it up.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Experience&diff=1037657&oldid=1037652

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

You get a percentage of level per vista, poi, area revealed, HP, and heart completed.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Experience&diff=1037657&oldid=1037652

Well, I’m not sure why people would sabotage the Wiki like that. At least that is good we brought that up to fix. Although it distresses me that nobody really knows.

And yes, I’m aware that you get exp for discovering anything. I’m referring directly to the reward for getting 100% on a map which is what that particular section is about.

Modern Leveling

Ayrilana.1396

Well, I’m not sure why people would sabotage the Wiki like that. At least that is good we brought that up to fix. Although it distresses me that nobody really knows.

And yes, I’m aware that you get exp for discovering anything. I’m referring directly to the reward for getting 100% on a map which is what that particular section is about.

I assume that the 10% for completing a map is correct. I’ve never compared my XP before and after but it seems right.

I don’t think they intentionally sabotaged the page. They likely didn’t know what they were doing. I’ll have to run a character through one of the maps to find the correct percentages.

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

I assume that the 10% for completing a map is correct. I’ve never compared my XP before and after but it seems right.

I don’t think they intentionally sabotaged the page. They likely didn’t know what they were doing. I’ll have to run a character through one of the maps to find the correct percentages.

Well, I suppose sabotage is a strong word, but it is at the very least really irresponsible to edit something without knowing you’re really doing.

Anyhow, in my experience, I just feel that there’s way more XP than actually needed so it’s not needed to complete every nook and cranny since some of the hearts I just don’t feel it’s worth the frustration. Like that stealth exercise. I’ll never do it again.

On the other hand, when you have events tied with hearts, you get so much of a double dipping that it’s rather hard not to turn down, and this game has so many of those that I feel like one has a lot of freedom to pick and choose. POIs, Vistas, and WPs are practically always giving you XP as long as you cover new ground unless you’re somehow avoiding them. Uncharted areas are just always going to give you XP so that’s why I always try to head forward, given I’m of the proper level. Heading forward also lets you catch up in your personal story faster, which gives a rather big chunk of xp compared to time spent.

But I suppose that has to do with how much you know as well. Queensdale is so familiar to me that I just complete it even if I don’t need it. I imagine people with experience with many map completions would be able to do a much better job that I can.

A good example is the cities. If you know where you’re going, it’s incredibly easy and free XP. I’ve just never been too good towards the cities I don’t regularly frequent, and sometimes bad at the ones I have. (Lion’s Arch >.>)

To be fair, it’s been a while I’ve leveled in this manner, so the game might have changed a bit since. However, when I was leveling masteries, I used it as an excuse to get more map completion on characters that needed it, and used mostly the same things.

Modern Leveling

Ayrilana.1396

Well, I suppose sabotage is a strong word, but it is at the very least really irresponsible to edit something without knowing you’re really doing.

Anyhow, in my experience, I just feel that there’s way more XP than actually needed so it’s not needed to complete every nook and cranny since some of the hearts I just don’t feel it’s worth the frustration. Like that stealth exercise. I’ll never do it again.

On the other hand, when you have events tied with hearts, you get so much of a double dipping that it’s rather hard not to turn down, and this game has so many of those that I feel like one has a lot of freedom to pick and choose. POIs, Vistas, and WPs are practically always giving you XP as long as you cover new ground unless you’re somehow avoiding them. Uncharted areas are just always going to give you XP so that’s why I always try to head forward, given I’m of the proper level. Heading forward also lets you catch up in your personal story faster, which gives a rather big chunk of xp compared to time spent.

But I suppose that has to do with how much you know as well. Queensdale is so familiar to me that I just complete it even if I don’t need it. I imagine people with experience with many map completions would be able to do a much better job that I can.

A good example is the cities. If you know where you’re going, it’s incredibly easy and free XP. I’ve just never been too good towards the cities I don’t regularly frequent, and sometimes bad at the ones I have. (Lion’s Arch >.>)

To be fair, it’s been a while I’ve leveled in this manner, so the game might have changed a bit since. However, when I was leveling masteries, I used it as an excuse to get more map completion on characters that needed it, and used mostly the same things.

Yeah. There are some hearts not worth doing for XP like the stealth one. I always just go to the one across from the NPC and repair the banner whenever it’s available. Probably takes like 10-15 min to do.

I want to say quite a large number of events do have events that go along with them which allow you to complete the hearts quicker. Unfortunately many don’t occur as often.

Maybe the best option is to do a combination of everything. Do map completion, while skipping the annoying hearts, and do all events as you come upon them.

Modern Leveling

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, waiting around for events would be too slow as well, and this is what I usually label as “spare time” where you go find things to explore or if you’re really bored, you can do the story. However, I usually would try to “reserve” my story for when I didn’t want to play on the maps. Usually this happens around 70+ because IMO those are the worst levels; you don’t get low level expensive loot anymore, but you have nary the advantages of an 80. It’s often when I considered crafting in the past.

And yes, the game wanted you to do a multitude of these things and a lot of the overlap is indeed intentional and you usually get the best results for daring to branch out while not really forcing anything on you.

As a result, I don’t want people to try doing this and then complain about X map/poi/heart or whatever because chances are they don’t have to bother with it at all. That’s really my main point I’m trying to get across.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Killstreak boosters with birthday boost guild boost food and a potion. Go around running through zones murdering every enemy you see.

Killstreak boosters are what make this good.

Modern Leveling

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Moa killing?

I believe this is a reference to killing the non-aggressive mobs on the map. The longer a mob is spawned, the more bonus xp it gives… and usually peeps don’t think twice about killing non-aggressive mobs like Moas so they’ve usually been spawned for quite a while… it can be really good xp. As for it being more efficient than other means, I’m not sure… but it couldn’t hurt.

~EW

Fully boosted, I’ve been able to get more experience for killing non-hostile mobs than an event gives for gold, and with moas, you’ve got 2-5 of them in groups sometimes. Build up the killstreak booster off trash mobs and then start whacking moas.