Motherboard dead? CPU dead? New PSU

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Hi.

I just swapped out a new PSU after my computer started hard resetting randomly while gaming, and eventually would not turn on at all. I thought that would be the solution to my problems but the PC still won’t turn on.

There is zero response from the power button on my case or the power button on the MOBO itself.

The power light on the mobo will turn green when the PSU is flipped on, but it doesn’t even try to start. If I plug the PSU into another outlet and then hit the power button, the computer lights will flicker quickly and then fail to start as usual.

It’s very strange, it is responsive to the slight change in charge when swapping outlets, but has zero response on the second try.

All of this seems to point to a PSU issue but I just put in a new one. Everything is wired as normal, and the behavior I described is the exact same for the old PSU as it is for the new PSU. Zero response with a short flicker response when powering up at a new outlet.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Something is short circuiting, probably.

If a new and first time use power supply fails to boot your computer, then it’s not a PSU issue.

Try cleaning your system, see if that helps.

The next step is to take something out. Start with the graphics card, test, memory, test, hard drives/SSD, test, fans, test, peripherals, test. Just keep trying, and make sure you are patient with each step and think through each action.

If none of that works, you could try resetting the CMOS. Maybe that could be an issue. As funny as that sounds, maybe there’s a glitch that is magically causing the system to power off.

If your power supply is one of those ones that requires you to change it’s mode from 110 volts to 240 volts, make sure it’s for the appropriate voltage. It could be powering off for that reason. Cheap power supplies have a manual switch, whereas better models do this automatically.

You could also try using a different power cable, or even a different wall socket somewhere else in the house, in case that’s the problem.

If after all of that, it’s either the motherboard or CPU. But all seems to be pointing towards a short circuit. You need to figure it out by trial and error. Just know what you are doing when poking around your machine.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Sounds like the old power supply is failing and the new one is defective. It happens.

If you can, grab another power supply as a test. If not, I would return the new one and get a replacement.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

What I would suggest is unplug everything from the mo bo. Not including the cpu and ram. And see if you can get into bios. Reconnect one thing at a time, and see if that changes anything. You might have had another bad PSU. But you really need to eliminate other things first. Then go back to your PSU.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|